Addicted to Dolby Headphone
Jan 18, 2006 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

]|[ GorE

500+ Head-Fier
I am currently using Dolby Headphone Mode 1 in foobar courtesy of chungalins plugin and am totally adicted to the sound.The moment i remove Dolby Headphone from the DSP stack,the sky with its stars comes rushing down with the speed of a waterfall and threatens to pummel me into the underground.
Seriously,i cannot now listen to headphones without dolby headphone.The advantages of Dolby Headphone far outweigh the slightly artificial changes it makes to the sound.

What are your suggestions about the same ? i dont like "foobars 92KB crossfeed" or the OSS Headphones plugin.

Jan 20, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 10
I have dolby headphone support with my Nvidia Purevideo dvd decoder. I'll give it a try later and let you know what I think. Usually I keep the settings on 5.1 and use the Creative control panel.

Jan 20, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #3 of 10
I googled for information about the 3 different settings in the plugin (DH1 - Reference, DH2 - Live, DH3 - Movie Theater). The websites state that DH2 is best for music listening, though DH1 is good for both movies and music. Do you prefer DH1 over DH2 for music?

Anyway, it is indeed an interesting plugin, i'm trying to decide if I can deal with the fact that my DSP chain is not unadulterated....
rolleyes.gif

- Steve

Edit: I'm not sure what to think about the SQ of the plugin. It seems to reduce the detail, but that's probably just due to the effect of moving the sound away from your ears.

Jan 20, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #4 of 10
This plugin is a lot of fun!Thankyou for this thread.I am currently listening to DM's Violator and enjoying the pronounced imaging effect ,quite involving!Ive been wanting something just like this....yay

Jan 21, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 10
Admittedly music sounds rather nice (and indeed, best in mode 2), but once there's an announcer (I mainly have radio recordings here), the "room" sounds very echoey, far too "live" for my taste and with "speaker sound" at that.

Apr 20, 2006 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 10
I know this is a late reply, but yeah, i find myself hardly using DH1. I use DH2 for music, and forlive music i really enjoy DH3 sometimes (though at times it sounds way off).

I do also turn it off at times, (for my hiphop stuff only). It's perfect for orchestral, instrumental (and cream worthy for live performances).^^

Apr 20, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #7 of 10
I decided to test it out, so I installed the plugin and pointed it towards the latest dolbyhph.dll, and yet i can't hear any difference between the foobar version and itunes. Is there another step you need to take in order to enable it?

EDIT: Just figured it out, needed to add the component to the DSP manager list.

Apr 20, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #8 of 10
Dolby Headphone sounds "fake" to me, at least the implementation with PowerDVD. Much prefer regular downmixed 2-channel stereo. I'm just not the type to appreciate processing of any kind, including crossfeed. Give me good ol' regular 2- channel stereo anyday.

Apr 21, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #9 of 10
where to dl the plugin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back