Add one more for the KSC75 team
Oct 20, 2005 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

brian183

100+ Head-Fier
Winter is coming soon and I wanted to find a good cheap phone to wear/bring around with me outside and to work. At first I really wanted to find the AKG 26P but I couldn't find it anywhere close to me
frown.gif
. I do already own a pair of porta pros but I always disliked the bass it puts out (too muddy/conjested for me). So I picked up a pair of KSC75's at circuitcity for 20 and brought them home right away. I plugged them into my receiver and was immediatley happy I spent the 20 bucks on them. Right off the bat I could tell they sounded well balanced. I thought the bass would be very much like the porta (muddy) but it isn't at all. The bass is definitely koss but a little bit more controlled. The highs are just a bit harsh (this is coming from a grado listener) and vocals sound a little grainy, but I think that'll get better after burn in. Anyway, these will never be as great as my MS1's (fav phones since I been here) but this is still an exciting pair of phones and I just can't wait to hear what it sounds like after burn in.

Oct 21, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 10
I think I mght have been wrong on my wording. It's more like grainy and not clean like the grados highs. I'd say the grados are more clean and crystal clear than the 75's and has more of a presence/impact. With the MS1's and HF1's it's like I'm completely engulfed and surrounded by music while the 75's don't grab my attention as much. Still a great buy and a great can which I'm sure to enjoy throughout the winter.

Oct 21, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 10
I also love my KSC75s. In some bizarre feat of synergy, they actually sound better out of my X5L than my HF-1s! Admittedly you lose some detail, and there is that slight grainy texture in the high end, but those are minor quibbles when you consider their comfort (after adjusting the ear clips) and portability.

Have you tried the dremel mod? Do a search, I think Kramer5150 started the thread, it noticeably opens up the highs and gives the ksc's an airier quality that you'd probably like if you're into Grados. And they do indeed get significantly better with burn-in!
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #6 of 10
im really likeing my 75s the more i listen to them... even though its through an ipod withouth an amp.. or the use of the line out. they have relaly changed since the first day of listening. they are much more 3d than my hd497s or my sr60s. they don't feel as the music is pounding away in the middle of my head. but they could use a little more low end punch for my tasts....when i ever get an decent little amp and a dock there not my favorite...but dang good for 20 bucks.

Oct 21, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitefurby
I also love my KSC75s. In some bizarre feat of synergy, they actually sound better out of my X5L than my HF-1s! Admittedly you lose some detail, and there is that slight grainy texture in the high end, but those are minor quibbles when you consider their comfort (after adjusting the ear clips) and portability.

Have you tried the dremel mod? Do a search, I think Kramer5150 started the thread, it noticeably opens up the highs and gives the ksc's an airier quality that you'd probably like if you're into Grados. And they do indeed get significantly better with burn-in!
biggrin.gif

I noticed that about my HF1 straight out of my X5. It's not as exciting as my MS1's coming out of my X5. Maybe because of the bowls? I dunno, but I really like the HF1's out of my receiver and probably even better when I buy a gilmore lite.

Oct 21, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by brian183
I noticed that about my HF1 straight out of my X5. It's not as exciting as my MS1's coming out of my X5. Maybe because of the bowls? I dunno, but I really like the HF1's out of my receiver and probably even better when I buy a gilmore lite.

Do it! I have a GL too, and that baby sure can push the HF-1s. Oftentimes I like to turn up (probably too far) my music, and the GL is my happy accomplice. No distortion or clipping whatsoever across the whole frequency range even at insane volumes. My friend who's into audio engineering checked out the specs for it and said the GL is better than most of the amps he uses in professional studios!
eek.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitefurby
Do it! I have a GL too, and that baby sure can push the HF-1s. Oftentimes I like to turn up (probably too far) my music, and the GL is my happy accomplice. No distortion or clipping whatsoever across the whole frequency range even at insane volumes. My friend who's into audio engineering checked out the specs for it and said the GL is better than most of the amps he uses in professional studios!
eek.gif

LOL I wouldn't be surprised if it is better. I'll probably purchase the GL next month because I got some other stuff to pay for this month. I also need to buy Xmas gifts next month. I'm pretty sure my CC bill will be very large by january.

Oct 21, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #10 of 10
The akg k26p break easily. The earcups swivel around on a pencil lead
thin piece of very cheap easily snapped plastic.

If they wanted to engineer something to easily break in a pocket or backpack, these engineering geniuses couldn't have done a better job. Congratulations Austrian wunderkinds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back