Adcom gear - Suggestions needed
Nov 30, 2007 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ooztuncer

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I am planning to buy some Adcom gear from a local seller, but have no idea of quality, reliability, sound, and pricing of these parts.

Even tough I checked several ebay prices, if you can give me some advice I will greatly appreciate the help.

Related gear is:

Adcom GCD-700 5-disc cd changer
Adcom GFP-555 preamp
Adcom GFA-5800 ss power amp

First of all, I believe the fair market value of all parts would be around $800 (give or take 10%) - am I way off? This is really important for me.

And secondly, do you think I can find better products for $800 (including a cd player, preamp, and an amp) - can be used or new?

I have (please don't laugh) sound dynamics RTS3 speakers and perhaps in a year or so I can invest some $$ to upgrade them.

Thanks in advance,
Onur

PS: experienced adcom users, if you can give me some hints about what to check, it would be great (i.e., what to look for - like cd tray, hiss sound, etc.)

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 12
I have had some Adcom gear over the years and it is great equipment. I would pay $500 tops for all the gear you listed. Anything over and it is just not worth it for me. I have an Adcom GFA-555 amp and I got it for $40.00 in mint condition.

For $800.00, you could get an integrated amp of much better quality like a McIntosh MX-110. Be patient and buy quality gear. It works out better in the long run IMHO.

As for speakers - there are tons of choices. I personally love the classic JBL sound and I love the B&W sound. Look into a pair of JBL 4311's and see how you like them.

Nov 30, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 12
Adcom amps are great and will last a while. I don't think the price is that far off. $40 for a GFA-555 is a rare steal. There is a 5800 on Audiogon is $500 and that amp originally retailed for $1600. Even though the amps depreciate in price over time, it is is not like that amp is out dated or there is that much newer technology in amplification. I am not familiar with the CD Player or the Preamp.

Nov 30, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 12
Well, I think you should decide first on whether you like your RTS-3 speakers or not. These are $160 speakers with plastic cone and soft-dome tweeter in a thin box.

If you like them a lot and plan to keep them, then I would recommend non-Adcom gear. Your speakers don't need the Adcom 5800's 250 watt/8 Ohm, and there are many more superior amps available on Agon that are lower-power but will sound much better.

I would personally tend to spend most of my money to start with REALLY good speakers, though. It doesn't matter if you spend a million dollars in front if the speakers don't let the components shine..

Nov 30, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 12
Since your able to get them local and check the stuff out, I dont think that is a bad price. I would not worry about the speakers. Even though they are not very good they will probably sound better than they ever have with the new electronics. Let us know how it works out.

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 12
I have owned a GFA555 since new back in 1986 w/ a matching preamp. Only one thing broke the on/off switch. Adcom sent me a replacement which I easily installed.

So as you can imagine I am very happy w/ their products.
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #7 of 12
I bought a 5-channel Adcom amp in 2000 that failed immediately upon hook-up. Second replacement unit did the same thing. No idea if that indicative of their build quality generally...

Dec 1, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 12
My friend has a Adcom GFA-5500 paired with his RF-7s and I can honestly say the build quality on the amp is very good. It has got that heavy well-built feeling and it really brings out the best in his speakers. I would highly recommend any Adcom product

Dec 2, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #9 of 12
I used an Adcom GFP-555 and a Adcom GFA555II combo for quite a while and would totally agree with what others have said about their great build quality and good sound.

On the other hand, I find their amps to be more tailored to the larger more power hungry speakers of their era rather than the smaller more efficient modern designs. Thus unless you could get a really good deal on the gear - like what LFF said - I would think for $800 you could get a newer integrated amp like a Jungson or Jolida and and a newer CD player like a Rega, NAD or Cambridge that would perform much better.

Dec 2, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #10 of 12
I heard my friend's system with Jamo speakers powered by a 5800. The sound is very liquidy smooth with lots of headroom and detail. I think it was more of the speaker's characteristics as I always thought Adcom sounded a bit sterile and "muscle".

I heard this system like 10 yrs ago tho.

Dec 3, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #11 of 12
what don't you like about your SD RTS-3's
I've had them and a pr. of NHT superone's. People who came over
preferred the RTS-3's over the Superones. (NAD receiver)
The rts 3's were used as rears when I upgraded to the RTS-7's.

Dec 3, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #12 of 12
THANK you very much for the great replies. I will try to see/hear them within several days.

Onur

PS: I really love my rts3's; it's just the curiosity of trying different speakers that people talk on the forums, which by the way costs an arm and a leg in many instances...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back