Adapters affecting sound quality?
Jul 26, 2006 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bsdlite

Head-Fier
Hey there!

I have a pair of HD650s, along with the cardas upgrade cable. The Sennheisers came with a 1/4 female to 1/8 male adapter, with a small length of cable between the two ends (standard sennheiser cable).

My question is this: doesn't this small length of cable defeat the purpose of having an upgrade cardas cable? Presumably it's made out of the same material as the original Sennheisier cable, so it seems like it's negating anything I would have gained.

I was thinking that some like:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ack?sku=333092

Might allow me to reap the full benefit of the cardas cable while still being able to use the cable with amps that only have a 1/8 mini output.

What do you think? Am I totally off base?

Jul 27, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 9
i'd say its safe to assume the less wire the better. RadioShack has a full line of direct adapters

for instance 1/4" stereo plug -to- 2x 1/4" stereo jacks... so i dont know why the demand for the grado y-splitter even exists.

pRS1C-2266718w345.jpg

Jul 27, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the reply.

So you don't think that there is a noticeable difference between direct adapters? The sound quality won't be affected by a difference in connector material?

Thanks!

Jul 27, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bsdlite
My question is this: doesn't this small length of cable defeat the purpose of having an upgrade cardas cable? Presumably it's made out of the same material as the original Sennheisier cable, so it seems like it's negating anything I would have gained.

Strange that it has a short cable between the connectors. Your reasoning is "quite logical" but I can't comment on whether how much or how little this piece will affect the overall sound.

The adapter shown in the link is probably your best bet. Having fewer connections and contact points are ideal as you already know. Try finding an adapter made of the same material as the Cardas connection...I believe a combination of rhodium and silver plating.

Good luck!

Jul 28, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #5 of 9
I may be off base here, because I do not know a whole lot, but the product in that link would be wrong for headphones because it is mono. Shouldn't he instead use a stereo 1/4" to mini adaptor?

Jul 28, 2006 at 10:22 AM Post #7 of 9
the short cable between the connectors is to prevent strain on the connection, I once used an adaptor similar to the one showed above on a tv and in a few months it had damaged the female connection in the tv making a proper connection impossible.
So with the added weight of the cardas cable I wouldn't use an adapter (1/4 -> 1/8) without wire between the connectors.

I'd go with the sennheiser cable, i doubt you'll hear a difference but if you want to be sure you could ask headphile or moon to make an adaptor or reterminate your cardas cable.

hope this helps,
bas

(EDIT) ofcourse i'm only talking about 1/4 > 1/8 adapters, 1/8 > 1/4 is easier on the connection (/EDIT)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinyl addict
Strange that it has a short cable between the connectors. Your reasoning is "quite logical" but I can't comment on whether how much or how little this piece will affect the overall sound.

The adapter shown in the link is probably your best bet. Having fewer connections and contact points are ideal as you already know. Try finding an adapter made of the same material as the Cardas connection...I believe a combination of rhodium and silver plating.

Good luck!

Jul 28, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by basb
the short cable between the connectors is to prevent strain on the connection, I once used an adaptor similar to the one showed above on a tv and in a few months it had damaged the female connection in the tv making a proper connection impossible.
So with the added weight of the cardas cable I wouldn't use an adapter (1/4 -> 1/8) without wire between the connectors.

bas

(EDIT) ofcourse i'm only talking about 1/4 > 1/8 adapters, 1/8 > 1/4 is easier on the connection (/EDIT)

thats a good point, the 1/8" plugs are pretty small and fragile.

Jul 29, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #9 of 9
I may be off base here, but doesn't the stefan audio equinox cable for sennheiser 580/600/650 use about 1ft of the stock cable and some people rave about how good it sounds. I've never listened through this cable myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back