Adapter safety question: ibasso > XLR IC to (Adapter) RCA Male > XLR Female
Apr 8, 2014 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MarcJC

New Head-Fier
So I plan to use the above conversion in my soon to be system (Which I'll plot out at the bottom). Now I could be worrying over nothing here, but I have no experience with making cables nor their connections or terminations. I'm concerned because in a bit of digging, I read that (Let's hope I get this right) mismatched grounds on either side of the connection can either damage the source dac or overstrain the amplifier. Since I can't afford to replace these things on the fly, I'd much rather be safe. Also, I'm doing it this way because I intend to run this all balanced, not single ended (which would be much simpler, I know).

If it helps, here's the chain:

-Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 Fixed Line out (Labeled as balanced with two L/R RCA outs) >

-Two RCA Male to XLR Female Adapter connected each of the RCA Female outs on the KA6 (EX http://www.fullcompass.com/product/307362.html ) >

-Ibasso HR10A-7P-6P to dual Female XLR ( http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=66 ) > 

-Ibasso PB2 (Yes, it's a portable, but I plan to use this with my DAP AND mobile recording system--in a hilariously huge rifle case, if I may add) >

-MrSpeakers Mad Dog Pro w/ Ibasso cable

I hope that I'm worrying over nothing. Also, the reason I'm using the balanced (passive) speaker outs instead of the dedicated headphone out is because I want to feed the PB2 a balanced signal. If for some reason, this configuration of mine is pointless and I STILL won't be able to run the PB2 in balanced, please let me know now! Any advice/suggestions/anecdotes are welcome and appreciated.

Lastly, If someone happens have any experience with this that isn't directly related but you'd like to share because it may help, I'm an all ears, knowledge-sponge kind of guy.

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #2 of 3
Upon further reading, I've read that converting xlr to rca or using any such cable already terminated as such will Cut my potential signal in half. Since I'm handling rca anyway, i won't notice this, but i don't want to miss out on the benefits of balanced xlr.

Now i suppose the next question is whether or not i should invest into a new dac with xlr just for this amp.

After all, it would be pointless if the ibasso > xlr is the same as the rca signal issue.

Apr 8, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #3 of 3
Unless you've got unusually long cable runs in an unusually noisy environment, any benefits of balanced (i.e. common mode noise rejection) will be for naught.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back