Adapter question
Feb 5, 2006 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

epion2985

Head-Fier
Made a thread in a different section but I think its supposed to go here
biggrin.gif

I just got a set of A900LTD's, my question is about adapters.

Headphones are 3.50mm sterio plug right?

The dac I belive has "Two balanced TRS jacks"
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CentralStat/

So I would use Female 1/8" to Male TRS right?
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GPM103/

Feb 5, 2006 at 8:19 AM Post #2 of 10
what are you trying to do? use the A900LTD from the balanced outputs on the rear of the unit? since that's what the "Two balanced TRS jacks" is referencing.

if you simply want to use the headphone output on the front of the unit you're all set. the A900LTD has a 3.5mm plug and also includes a screw-on adaptor to make it a 1/4 inch plug, which the DAC uses.

http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/prod...h-a900ltd.html

Feb 5, 2006 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 10
the one you linked to will work.

but using the term balanced in this instance isn't correct, since the headphone signal is not balanced. the three contacts in this case correspond to the left channel, right channel, and ground.

the connector link you provided lists it as a balanced convertor since if you use it with a balanced TRS jack (such as the ones in the back of the DAC), then the three contacts correspond to a positive signal, negative signal (a signal that is the inverse of the positive signal), and a ground, which makes it a balanced-type convertor.

Feb 5, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 10
A "balanced TRS" jack, although is 1/4 inch and 3 connectors is a MONO source. Plugging your cans to one of these will not give you the sound you are looking for. The Emu 1212m card that I use has this. 2 of these connectors are required to get stereo out.

If these are the only "outs" that you can use, and you are not going put put them to an amp, then you are looking for an adapter that has 2x TS (quarter inch unbalanced) to a single STEREO adapter. Have not actually looked for this item before, but am sure that they are available.

Look thru sweetwater, and zzounds, and any other muscian site you can find. The Balanced TRS jacks are used for plugging instruments into the device for recording. They used balanced because it allows longer cables with less signal degredation.

Although plugging them into the phone jacks on the front sound like a much easier proposition. I have not heard a lot of argueing about standard 1/4 to 1/8th connections, but I am sure you can spend some cash getting a custom made one with silver connectors, ultra shielded etc that cost as much as your DAC. (just a little humor there, sorry) I use some standard one from somewhere in my audio meanderings (from a soundblaster setup I think which came with one) I use it when I put my Shure e4cs on a device with only 1/4 inch.

Feb 6, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13
If these are the only "outs" that you can use

I think I got that wrong, those are not the outs I meant. These are the headphone outputs:

Type...........................¼” TRS Active Stereo
Maximum Output...........150mW/channel @ 60 Ohm load
THD+N 0.015%.............(150mW/channel @ 60 Ohm load)
Frequency Response......10Hz-50KHz, +1dB

What adapter would I need, I assume the headphones are 3.50mm sterio plug.

Thanks
580smile.gif

Feb 6, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #9 of 10
I've already said that the adaptor you linked to originally is fine. is there something wrong with that particular one?

if the price is too cheap and you want to pay more for the same exact adaptor (going by the pictures), then you can get them for $5 each at HeadRoom.
wink.gif

if you want a similar one, but with nicer looks, gold-plated contacts, and a more compact design, try this audio-technica model available at audiocubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back