Adapter for UE super.fi 5vi (3.5mm -> 2.5mm)
Aug 10, 2009 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Leto Atreides II

500+ Head-Fier
So I have a Nokia OEM adapter that I wanted to use to connect these to my E71 phone. The problem is I only get audio in the right channel.

I know the jack is not faulty, and I've already ordered another adapter just in case this one is bad... but I doubt that too.

Does anyone know what the order of the rings is in the UE headphones? I know Nokia's pattern (it's on their website unlike UE)... I though this kind of thing was standard!!!!

So who here has a Nokia phone with the 2.5mm adapter and what headphones do you use with it?

BTW this is really another thread but.... what the **** was Nokia thinking with the 2.5mm headset jack!!?!?!

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 4
The second adapter came in, and it says "accessory not supported" with the 5vis. What

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 4
I had a 3.5mm-->2.5mm that gave me only one channel on some devices as well. Then I realized that it was because the 2.5mm end was actually 4-pronged connection (left/right/mic/ground). All I had to do was to pull the connector out a little bit, or put a spacer/washer in between, then I get both left and right channels.

Also, sometimes Nokia would reject accessories (such as earphones with call controls) that are designed specifically for iPhone. Not sure if that was the case of your second adapter.

Aug 11, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 4
The 5vi is a headset -- I want the mic, so it needs to be a 4-pronged connection. I wonder if it was designed "specifically" for the iPhone. I don't know what that means, though, and I don't understand how a phone could possibly determine that and reject it -- it's just a RCA jack! I haven't delved into it much (because it's not working!!) but I think the 5vi does have a call button.

I've tried the adapter with regular headphones, and it actually does the same thing (only one channel). I didn't think to pull out the plug slightly -- I'll try that and see what happens.

I need to find an official Nokia 3.5mm headset to test -- if that works with the adapter, then there's something screwed up/proprietary going on with Nokia adapters and I'll have to build my own, I guess. If that ends up being the case, and my phone is not faulty somehow, then this is the last Nokia product I'll ever buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back