Adapted Sleek Wireless W-1 to work with UE10s
Jul 24, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would it be possible to readapt something like this to use with full size headphones like the AD-900 that normally don't "need" amplification.
Has anyone hear of anyone doing something like that?

cheers,
J

Can't see why it wouldn't be possible.

Jul 25, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #17 of 31
Yeah should be do-able, little scary when your doing it to cans that cost a small fortune though
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'd love to mod it in such a way that it's easy to switch back to wired, should I want too...
k701smile.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #18 of 31
You could mod the cans with 3.5mm jack plugs (mono's) on either side (or do single entry with one stereo jack and the wires from the other side channelled through the headband or something) so you can attach a cable or the wireless module with ease. Just a case of desoldering the stock cable, wiring a jack plug up (on wires from the driver) and setting it in the bottom of the housing, then you just want to put mono jacks on the left and right side of the top of the cable so you can use them in either format, wired with the modified stock cable, or wireless with the W-1 plugged into the jack sockets on the cans.

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could mod the cans with 3.5mm jack plugs (mono's) on either side (or do single entry with one stereo jack and the wires from the other side channelled through the headband or something) so you can attach a cable or the wireless module with ease. Just a case of desoldering the stock cable, wiring a jack plug up (on wires from the driver) and setting it in the bottom of the housing, then you just want to put mono jacks on the left and right side of the top of the cable so you can use them in either format, wired with the modified stock cable, or wireless with the W-1 plugged into the jack sockets on the cans.

hmm, having hard time envisaging what you're saying, don't spose you'd care to do a stick diagram?
ksc75smile.gif

So with what you're suggesting, it'd be easy to switch between a wireless adapter & full corded?

Aug 11, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #20 of 31
Hmmmm... Was a bit long winded!

Almost as simply as I can put it: wire up 3.5mm mono jacks onto each side of the headphones, after de-soldering the original cable, and where you de-soldered the cables, whack 3.5mm mono jack plugs onto each side, so you can plug the Sleek W-1 into the jacks on the headphones, or plug in the stock (modified) cable.

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmm... Was a bit long winded!

Almost as simply as I can put it: wire up 3.5mm mono jacks onto each side of the headphones, after de-soldering the original cable, and where you de-soldered the cables, whack 3.5mm mono jack plugs onto each side, so you can plug the Sleek W-1 into the jacks on the headphones, or plug in the stock (modified) cable.

So essentially; two plug holes where the two cords used to come out of the cans?
That way one can plug in a wireless adapter or the original cords that now have plugs where there used to be bare wire..

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #23 of 31
Hmm not sure id be able to do a clean job of this..
So essentially.....

soldering iron
solderer
2x 3.5mm mono jacks (female)
2x 3.5mm mono jacks (male)
headphones you want to mod
wireless adapter

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #24 of 31
You got it...

Essentially you just need to solder wires onto the jack (female) terminals, and solder the other end of the wires to the driver, of course getting the wires on the right terminals.

When you desolder the original cables, they should be coloured... Look up what colour is what, and solder the correct wires from the female jack plug onto the right joints on the driver.

Might be best to A) post in the DIY forum with my idea (i'm no DIYer really, but my idea should work... Others may have simpler ideas though, but I can't see any?) and B) looking into finding a local DIYer if you are not confident about soldering, or getting the right wires in the right places
smily_headphones1.gif

Matt

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #27 of 31
Hello,

I've managed to make my Senn. HD598 wireless with the w1 and an portable headphone, also using two nokia cellphones for connection parts. Works like a charm.
I will post explanation and pics of the 'work' later.

May 11, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #28 of 31

Quote:
Hello,

I've managed to make my Senn. HD598 wireless with the w1 and an portable headphone, also using two nokia cellphones for connection parts. Works like a charm.
I will post explanation and pics of the 'work' later.

So are you going to share your work now? I ended up getting some RS180's.
But I'm still going to experiment with plugging corded IEM/Cans into wireless adapter of sorts (there's 1-2 options on that front now) or franken-modding one to an adapter like this.

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #29 of 31
Sorry if bumping this is against the rules, but I was wondering if it's possible to do something like this: (apologies for my 3rd grade paint skills)

<a href='http://bildr.no/view/1131365'>http://bildr.no/view/1131365</a>

Essentially what I'm failing to illustrate is if it's possible to make a sleek plug to iem plug adapter instead of tearing apart the receiver unit and a iem cable. Would this work?

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #30 of 31
I do not recommend this as there has to be a locking mechanism between the sleek plug and the IEM pins. I'd still rather open up the casing, and solder on thicker, tougher, cables with IEM pins at the end. If opening it up is too tough, I would sever off the sleek plugs, strip the wire and solder on IEM pins.

I'm still looking for a 2nd hand or cheap W1 set for sale, if you know of any, let me know. I don't mind taking the lead on this at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back