Adam F5, Paradigm Shift A2, Vanatoo T1?
Mar 5, 2017 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

desmoface

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

Time for some new computer speakers, the Adam F5 look to be very good, but what about the Paradigm Shift A2?  I don't see much written about them.  How bout the Vanatoo's?  Anyone have any experience with these? Am I overlooking one?  Thanks in advance.

Steve

Mar 5, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 25
May also want to look into KRK monitors of  various sizes and of course the FOM speakers the JBL LSR's or even monitors from Focal.

There are dozens of active monitors available, and my advice would be to stick to pro-audio manufacturer's.  I personally own a few sets, each year I seem to buy another pair.  You will get good warranty, great build quality and they also get a pretty good re-sale price if you ever upgrade.

My personal favorites for general music listening and watching films on my PC are the KRK RP6's, although there are many good options.  I would recommend you buy something with at least a 5" main driver or you will likely need a sub added.  Set your budget, include cables and interface/dac/soundcard within that.  If you have $400 to spend you should be ok, just take your time and do some research.

I have actually owned some ADAM F7's for a short period and they were pretty good, not a patch on the A7x but the price difference is not small.  I sold them on to a friend as I could not justify having 4 sets of monitors at one time.

Mar 5, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 25
Hi Tablix, thanks for the reply. Any thoughts on edifier? http://www.edifier.com/int/en/speakers/s1000

Thanks again.

Steve

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 25
So Desmoface, did you ever get your new speakers, and if so which ones and what do you think?  

I am in a similar spot.  I would like to downsize my desktop setup which is currently a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitors and a Peachtree Decco2. (Sounds good, but I need the space for new toys and they deserve a bigger space to be in) I have a Bimby and Lyr2 on the way want to use the preamp for active speakers - so that will save the amp space. (The Bimby/Lyr was not purchased just for the preamp
biggrin.gif
) As the younger half-brother of the monitors, I was of course eying up the Shifts, but no one seems to be keen on their noise issue.  The bulk of the world seems to love the F5s, and given their front ports, it would work well next to my wall.  (L shaped desk along a wall.)  I am also looking at the Rokit 6 as a bit cheaper than the F5s.  (Maybe Equator D5s)

Anyway, this seems to be the most recent "I am looking for active monitors" thread and just wanted to see if you or anyone had any thoughts without starting another.  Thanks!

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 25
Hi Slackbits,

I'm still researching...I may go a different direction and purchase an integrated amp and buy some passive desktops, ironically, maybe some Paradigm Mini Monitors, LOL.  I'm really focusing on the new Elac UB5's as they are supposed to be the next big thing.  We'll see what happens, I purchased a stand to setup next to my desk for the amp..so I've taken the first steps, LOL.

Steve

P.S. You may be interested in this:  https://www.massdrop.com/buy/yamaha-hs8?referer=YU2QFV

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 25
That's funny that you are choosing the opposite route.  Well I can say the Mini Monitors are nice, pretty neutral and detailed - or at least to me. I did look at the HS8s, but they are almost 3" wider than the Mini Monitors, so that would not help the space saving.  Good luck in the amp/speaker hunt.  Maybe I will try and find a really tiny amp and keep the monitors...  

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 25
Hey OP, I don't know if you've decided yet but Airmotiv 5s or JBL 305s will treat you verrry nicely for the price. And if you've got the space/dough make it a 6 or 308 for some seriously stupid bass. The Adam F7s (no experience with the 5s) are pretty sweet too, front port is very useful and like the airmotivs can really slam and have the sweet sounding EMT but honestly at that point I'd just say get the airmotivs. I think they have better sound over the F7s (the 6s at least, the airmotiv 5 are great too but obviously not as much bass capability, and actually have a much smaller tweeter which makes quite the difference.)

TLDR simplest/cheapest: JBL lsr305 or 308(big as hell) for bass.

Mar 16, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #9 of 25
Hey OP, I don't know if you've decided yet but Airmotiv 5s or JBL 305s will treat you verrry nicely for the price. And if you've got the space/dough make it a 6 or 308 for some seriously stupid bass. The Adam F7s (no experience with the 5s) are pretty sweet too, front port is very useful and like the airmotivs can really slam and have the sweet sounding EMT but honestly at that point I'd just say get the airmotivs. I think they have better sound over the F7s (the 6s at least, the airmotiv 5 are great too but obviously not as much bass capability, and actually have a much smaller tweeter which makes quite the difference.)

TLDR simplest/cheapest: JBL lsr305 or 308(big as hell) for bass.

Hi Milk, thanks for the reply and the excellent information.  I think I may be going in a different direction; passive speakers with an amp/preamp combo or maybe in integrated amp.  So, now I'm looking at the Kef Q300, Elac UB5, Wharfedale Diamond 225 and the Dali Zensor 3.  

I'm trying to find a setup that gets as close to replicating the sound signature of my Beyer DT-990's as possible.  Someone mentioned that the Dali's have a somewhat 'bright' sound signature, so I'm giving those a serious look.  Unfortunately, there is nowhere around me that sell's these brands.  There is a local dealer that sells Paradiagm and B & W so I may give the Paradigm Atom/mini monitors and the B & W 686 S2 a listen.  Now I've got to get an integrated amp - thinking the Yamaha a-S801, or maybe the Rotel RA-1520.  The Rotel will probably get nixed as it's quite expensive and probably overkill for what my use is.

As far as separates, I'm thinking Parasound or Emotiva, I have to research a bit more. 

Thanks again for the advice.

Steve

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #10 of 25

Hi Milk, thanks for the reply and the excellent information.  I think I may be going in a different direction; passive speakers with an amp/preamp combo or maybe in integrated amp.  So, now I'm looking at the Kef Q300, Elac UB5, Wharfedale Diamond 225 and the Dali Zensor 3.  

I'm trying to find a setup that gets as close to replicating the sound signature of my Beyer DT-990's as possible.  Someone mentioned that the Dali's have a somewhat 'bright' sound signature, so I'm giving those a serious look.  Unfortunately, there is nowhere around me that sell's these brands.  There is a local dealer that sells Paradiagm and B & W so I may give the Paradigm Atom/mini monitors and the B & W 686 S2 a listen.  Now I've got to get an integrated amp - thinking the Yamaha a-S801, or maybe the Rotel RA-1520.  The Rotel will probably get nixed as it's quite expensive and probably overkill for what my use is.

As far as separates, I'm thinking Parasound or Emotiva, I have to research a bit more. 

Thanks again for the advice.

Steve

Heya Steve, Unfortunately among those I only really know of the Q300 which are great but have a very forward and warm midrange which is quite a contrast to your 990s-the lower mids to bass is a little bloomy on the 300s which isn't as nice for more slam like EDM in the 990s as well as just general detail retrieval, and I hear most Wharfedales are also very warm and smooth. Dali I really don't know much about unfortunately but people seem to dig em.

You're definitely looking at some good integrateds, the Yamahas are very reliable and should be a good choice, also for a bit more of a modern piece, Marantz released its PM6006 which I hear they spruced up a bit or if you wanted more power or a DAC the PM7005 has a good DAC for a very all in 1 option. There are countless good integrateds I can recommend, but Marantz is one of the easiest as they have very generous current to power most anything but also look very nice and have some very impressive features/specs. You could always just pick up something even simpler depending on what you end up with, like if you need the juice maybe a new emotiva or good form factor/not too much power something like a NAD 3020 or Denon PmA50 or even a PS Sprout. It'll be easier to choose the amp when you've got the right speakers picked.

So as far as some very v-shaped, bright, fun speakers (990s) there's coincidentally the *Adam* A7X and A8X which have quite the scooped mids (especially the 8s) and just have tons of bass, though they aren't stupid bright as the ribbon on them is pretty sweet but they have some serious attenuation options on the back so there's always a chance you can adjust to your liking-but as for passives I almost don't think it'd hurt checking out the Monitor Audio Silver 1s, MAs house sound is definitely a bright and bassy sig. Also did you maybe have a budget in mind? That could make it easier to balance an optimal amp with optimal speakers, because if you can get the silver 2s that just more bass and with the Gold 50s you can have the sweet tweeter which takes a bit of the metal dome edge off, but still retains the MA sound signature. A lot of Dynaudios are also definitely bright and with the right model can provide the necessary bass. The X14s and 160s come to mind, the x14s are bright and have a very fun sound and more excitement(hence the name excite 14s, heh) the 160s I'm not sure if they're even making anymore but weren't quite as "wow-ing" but beat out the LS50 in some detail retrieval in the treble and definitely had more clean bass.  Factoring in a sub is huge too. If you can't get one its no biggie but its nice to have the bass covered as much as you want while you just need to find good midrange-treble speakers (definition of LS50 pretty much lol)

I hope some of these suggestions are helpful. I'm more than happy to help you put your system together but it'll help to see what you're willing to pay/what you may particularly like (form factor, front ports, etc.) and then from there on matching an amp and DAC is pretty much easy as pie (example. X14s, PM7005, and if you're satisfied with the onboard DAC, then you're already set!

Sorry for long response, I'm just getting back from a speaker phase and just want to be of some use around here if I can! :)

-Sean

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #11 of 25
Hi Sean,

Thanks for the information, I'm definitely in the learning phase at this point.  It started out as just buying some better pc speakers to replacing my ageing and dying cheapos...now I'm looking at Rotel Integrated Amps and Parasound separates, LOL.  Buget?  Dunno, really, LOL.  

I just assembled a component stand to sit next to my desk so now I can get a bit more serious about equpt.  Audio Advisor has some refurb'ed Parasound amplifiers and some demo Parasound Preamps but I'm looking at spending a bit of money if I go that route (same for the Rotel RA 1570). My philosophy when buying audio gear is by it once and cry once, LOL.  

Common sense dictates something like the Marantz, or the Yamaha that I was considering as they are good bang for buck.  

Speakers?  Well, I've got a bit of a list going...The adams, emotiva's, B & W 685 s2, Wharfedale's, Kef's, Dali Zensors, but the list keeps growing, LOL.

This is the fun part though..thanks again for the advice.

Steve

Mar 16, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #12 of 25
That philosophy works very well for speakers, lol. With a good enough speaker system you can tweak SO many little things to change the sound drastically, theres so many more factors than headphones you don't really need to upgrade but can rather add a sub or fix placing, or acoustics, or infinite speaker EQ options, etc.

I'd probably stay away from Parasound. The A21 is great but more than what I would probably spend on an amp unless I was getting TOTL speakers and the A23 was a bit of a failure but many people still like it. I think a PM7005 could work (If you take advantage of the digital features/dac).

If you can get a sub your options are much more open but by themselves, I'd say the Dynaudio Excite 14, Monitor audio Bronze 1(with a sub) or Silver 2 (without a sub), or can even jump back on the powered ship and get JBL305 and 310 or Adam A7X or A8X or F7(listening to some F7s as I'm typing...  they're pretty nice, more bass than I'll ever need without any attenuation, and have the treble-or as they have it the >5KHZ range EQ at a +3DB to try to get some of that brightness out and it works a bit but doesn't give me that sort of dry, clear, super bright, detailed beyer treble. Therese also the Emotiva Airmotiv 6 which are also nice, I like the amps Emotiva is able to make for them and the build is great. They were the poor mans Adams for a long time and many thought they even bested the Adam offerings and with the price to performance on the 6s its almost a no brainer(also I like the treble on the Airmotivs more than the Adam F series), or of course, the simple option of the Kef X300A which I believe is just the Q100 driver but also gets a built in DAC that can play any file quality worth listening to, and an amp which is cool to save the integrated choice and if you're into wireless that model is very convenient to use and sounds great over wireless, it just doesn't have insane bass or bright treble but is always a safe choice for easy setup/good sound.

Or just take the plunge for us all and score the new wireless LS50s. They look terrific, I understand some of the hype on the LS50s is just dumb but they are still a very refined speaker and if you can ignore the upper midrange spike, its a great all around driver but with the LS50s not only does it come with a DSP/EQ app for your phone but they've also applied their own DSP to squeeze every last bit of performance out if the driver including fixing some of its previous shortcomings. Seems like one of the coolest/best quality all in one options for speakers I know of. Undoubtedly so with a sub or 2. If you've got the room/dough, 2 subs is quite a luxury. I almost think 1 of  any quality is a necessity as they can be cheap but should just fill in the low end a bit, like I think SVS 12 inch NSD sub was going for like $400 which is like entry level of real subs, or just a cheap bic or something to keep on low volume or best of all, DiY!! Not only because there are literally just notes at 30-50hz that need to be heard but also because if you stuck with something like the excites or maybe the ls50 you can just cross them over even higher than normal (like 120 instead of 80z) and really take some stress off the drivers and benefit your midrange greatly.

Its like a sickness, once I start typing I just can't stop, haha... Sorry!

Hope this helps!

Mar 16, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #13 of 25
Ok,

I jumped on a pair of Kef Q300's - they are on sale at Kef Direct so I pulled the trigger. I did have to make a compromise and go with the White (to keep the Wife happy), I'd have preferred boring old black, though.

So, now the search for amplification begins...Marantz and Yamaha are high on the list - not sure I want to spend Parasound or Rotel $ at this point and I've always been happy with the 2 Yamaha home theater receivers I've owned. I've also considered emotiva, the new a-300 amp to be exact, but I've read good and bad emotiva stories so I'm still not sold on them. They sure look like a heck of a value, especially that A-300 amp.

Ok, thanks again for all the advice, I'll post up some pics once the speakers arrive.

Steve

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #15 of 25

Users who are viewing this thread

Back