ADAM Audio T7V vs Yamaha HS7
Jun 5, 2020 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

galexem

New Head-Fier
Hello all.. not sure if this is the right place to ask such a question, but I figured some of you may have some personal experience with the two.

Background: I am deciding between the ADAM Audio T7V's and Yamaha HS7's. I've always wanted a nice set of powered speakers, which would be connected to something like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface. I am not a producer, but would like a nice sounding pair of speakers to complete my audio setup.

Sound: I do like a neutral sound and realistic sound, but like many out there, love a bit of bass and liveliness - basically I like to enjoy my music the way it was meant to and I hear the T7V's are quite good at that!

My room is about 20 sq. meters (215 sq. feet) and this is why I am a bit unsure about which ones to get.. the 7" or 5"..? ADAM Audio or Yamaha..? If I understand this correctly both are awesome speakers for the price (roughly 200EUR from where I live), but the T7V's are a bit easier to listen to and have a wider soundstage due to their ribbon tweeter design... oh and I hear they have more low end as well (which is what I like). So it would seem like the ADAM's are just a bit better than the Yamaha's - is this true?

Size: from what I've always understood bigger versions tend to sound better and have more low end, which is why I'm thinking of getting the 7" versions, but the problem is every time I read online reviews or watch YouTube videos I get somewhat conflicting information, e.g. Z Reviews mentioned that the 5" versions of the "ADAM TXV series" speakers sound better than the 7" versions, which doesn't make sense... does it?

Anyways, if anyone could take their time and give me some advice & input I would appreciate it massively.

Thank you all in advance :)

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 3
Can give a little input. I had the Yamaha HS8 in white. They have had very good, balanced sound. If anything, the bass tended to stick to the lower dome, like it was "paper" that creates the kick instead of the kick itself. But it was just a very minor phenomenon.

I spent time listening to recordings that various people (two at least, I believe) have made of their Yamaha HS speakers ("review videos" so to say), and it lead me to believe that the HS 7 already starts to sound "boxy" in a too noticeable way. Like if the smaller cabinets makes the bass create resonance or something. If you asked to choose between 7 and 8, I would say try 8 first.

Adam speakers I never had, but was interested in as they make drums sound snappy and fun, and that bass thing, yeah. But there is a chance, with many speakers, that they produce "one note" bass of some form. Like, there is bass, but overall there isn't much differentiation. Well, the Adam would still have been fun for me, but I noticed more and more that I would want the A7X. In the end, I bought a completely different setup. (DALI speakers + EQ)

Jun 6, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 3
Well, the Adam would still have been fun for me, but I noticed more and more that I would want the A7X. In the end, I bought a completely different setup. (DALI speakers + EQ)
Thank you for your input @Typewriter! I really appreciate your explanation and experience regarding the potential differences between the HS8 and HS7 monitors!

Just like you said; from what I've heard the T7V's are a bit more enjoyable to listen to and sound a bit warmer and fun because they have more bass. Since I'm not a producer and am not going to be evaluating my music, but rather, enjoying it, I have absolutely zero issues with the T7V's possibly not having as much resolution in the low end as the Yamaha HS7/8's.

The thing is I've always listened to my music, videos, movies, gaming and just general content, on my headphones. And here I must mention I sit behind my desk A LOT. Like... A LOT A LOT! Whether I'm working, studying, gaming, listening to music, I'll have a pair of headphones on pretty much 70% of the time and sometimes I miss not having speakers (or at least decent sounding ones at that, because I go through headphone pads quickly haha!).
But then again, I'm also not quite ready to dive into the totally Hi-Fi spectrum of speakers/stereo systems, but would be more than happy to have a nice pair of "compact" (at least as far as all the equipment is concerned) active speakers - doesn't matter what they're classified as, monitors or not, as long as they sound true to the music and good, which I was told, at the price, the ADAM or Yamaha's do, then I have absolutely no issue with purchasing them. And apparently they make for an absolutely fantastic set of "desktop" speakers even if you're not into audio production.

Who knows, maybe when I have a bigger space, a nice living room and whatnot, I'll (hopefully) buy a nice high end stereo system to go along with that. Right now, it just doesn't make sense, because I've stopped watching media/TV in my living room completely. Haven't watched TV (for more than aprox. 1, 2hrs/week - I am not exaggerating btw) for about 6 years now, as I consume all of my media and content online, via my PC or in bed in the evening on my MacBook!

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back