Adam Artist 3 vs Aktimate Mini Plus
Sep 25, 2014 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

voodoohao

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I've been looking around for a pair of speakers to use with my HTPC rig, prefer actives as I do not want to fiddle with amps. Have narrowed down my choices between these two after reading reviews and impressions. However, I would prefer a heads up comparison from people who have listened to these. I can get the Adam Artist 3 for 450 USD and the aktimates for 370 USD used. In my setup I'll be sitting roughly 1.8 to 2 metres from the speakers. Could I get some opinions on this? Any thoughts and opinions are welcome! :)

P.S. I might be going for a subwoofer in the future but not right now. Also would prefer not to get a dac + speaker combo as I prefer a cleaner setup.

Sep 26, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #3 of 10
I'm biased. I first bought a pair of ADAM A3X (a front ported pro audio version of the Artist 3 without the USB connection and glossy appearance). They replaced a pair of M-Audio AV40 which broke down. I was so impressed I now own an additional pair of A5X, a Sub 7 and a Sub 8.  So take my words with a pinch of salt.

So I'm going to strongly recommend the Artist 3 over the Aktimate minis even though I haven't heard them. The reasons? The ADAMs are true active speakers with an active crossover in each speaker and a total of four amps, one for each driver. The Aktimates are not genuinely active at all. They should be called self powered. They have a passive crossover and a single stereo amp mounted in one of the enclosures. Like an old fashioned stereo. The ADAMs are also considerably more powerful. Have a tweeter gain control for tuning flexibility and offer the option of balanced connection. They also have a 5 year guarantee versus the Aktimate's 1 year. They are also now on a special low price. they used to be more expensive than the A3X, Now they are cheaper atm.

Balanced against that the aktimates have bluetooth built in, a remote control and may appeal to some on grounds of appearance. ymmv.

To me it's a no brainer and an extra $70 well invested. But remember what I said at first. I love my ADAMs.

Also the fact is - Small speaker quality is now so good and near field listening so effective and enjoyable virtually any popular product will delight the purchaser. It's the concept of near field listening that's important not necasarily the brand or model chosen. Get the best you can afford and have fun.

Sep 26, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 10
Hey thanks for the comprehensive reply, really appreciate it. I have decided to spring for the Adam Artist 3s based on your reply, will be getting them tomorrow if all goes well. By the way could I ask if the Sub 7 and 8 you are referring to are both Adam subwoofers? 

Sep 27, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 10
Take a look at Emotiva as well. They lowered the price on the Airmotive 5S to $350 and the 6S to $499. Bigger driver will give you much better bass than the Adam Artist 3. Should get a subwoofer anyway though. The sub 7 and sub 8 are from Adam. I would not buy a subwoofer from a studio monitor company. Unless if you need accurate music reproduction, you can find a lot better sub for the money from home theater companies. The reason is the studio subwoofer market is not very competitive and most people match brands. The home theater market is crammed with a million models and reviews. SVS would be where I would get my subs. 

Sep 27, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 10
Hi, thanks for your reply!

I've actually bought the Adams as I couldn't really find a secondhand set of Emotivas...will you still recommend SVS subwoofers for em? If so, what models are a good match? I'm trying to get some ideas so I can buy one next month. 

Sep 27, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 10
I would recommend SVS subs for any speaker even though I do not have any myself. My cheap Yamaha sub improves my overall sound a lot so I could only imagine an SVS sub. For music you want a sealed subwoofer. From SVS I would recommend the SVS SB1000 if your budget is around $500. If your budget is more then get their higher end models. 

Sep 28, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #8 of 10
could I ask if the Sub 7 and 8 you are referring to are both Adam subwoofers? 

Yes. Here is a link to the ADAM website. http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/products You can look up the specs of all ADAM products there.

I initially bought the Sub 7 for the A3X and Sub 8 for the A5X but found a single sub didn't cut it. At least for me in my room(s). So now I use the A3X and both subs in a FoH type wide area playback system and the A5X in a near field multimedia monitoring system.

Prices vary between regions depending on  taxes, availability and product support but I'm not sure BigT is correct as regards comparisons between brands. The SVS SB1000 costs $500 mail order. The Sub 7 comes in (for me) at £275 from a dealer. This is ~$450 by direct conversion. might vary depending where you live. So for similar money the Sub 7 has a smaller form factor, offers balanced connection options, a remote control and has a handy foot-switch to turn it quickly on and off. It is difficult comparing published specs between different manufacturers but performance appears to be broadly similar. With a pair of Artists you will get an max SPL > 110 dB which will put the windows out playing modern music in a domestic setting. The SB1000 are specced a little deeper which might be useful if you primary use is movie effects or gaming explosions. Sub 8 has closer performance specs and similar size and weight to the SB1000 but costs more. £420 - ~$650.  Same advantages as the Sub 7 otherwise. So it's not quite so clear cut.

In the end it's more down to preferred application usage. Pro Audio subs for controlled clean accurate reproduction, particularly with music. AV subs for deep boomy effects, particularly with action films.

Good luck! Hope to hear your thoughts in the near future.

Sep 30, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 10
Hi I would again like to say I really appreciate the insights and comments from both you guys, many thanks! I've done some searching around and was unable to find an SVS SB1000 used, can't really afford the price of a new one. Was wondering if you guys knew anything about Earthquake mini subwoofers? I know of one selling at 300USD in my home region but not sure what's the make and model. 

P.S. Am really enjoying the near field effect of the Adam Artist 3's, they blow my Harman Kardon's out of the water :) But would like a bit of rumble to the sound heh

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #10 of 10
The Polk DSW Pro 550 usually is $299 refurbished sold directly from Polk on Ebay with warranty. If you need a crossover from the subwoofer than your options are limited. The Polk has one but most subs under $500 do not have any. I do not even know the Polks high pass filter freq. Below the SVS with a crossover I would probably get the Polk, or a studio monitor sub. Can find plenty used but there is little consensus on which $400-500 studio subwoofer is best. Yamaha, M-Audio, Krk, Presonus have subwoofers but no one has tested them all together. I would get the Presonus T10 if I were getting a studio sub. Have seen them on ebay for around $300. As for plug n play subs without a crossover the NXG NX-BAS-500 is one if not the best for $250.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back