Adam A7X for small room - comments needed
Sep 25, 2010 at 9:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

dragonball

100+ Head-Fier
Hi people,

I need a 2.0 / 2.1 desktop speaker set for my room. Room size is 150in x 130in. I sit about 50in away from speakers.
I shortlisted Audioengine A5 and Adam A7X. My questions:

1) How much better will Adam A7X be compared to Audioengine A5, given my smaller room size? Will my room size considerably limit their performance?

2) Adams are available at 780$ whereas A5 are for 425$. Are they worth the price difference if i do not need loudness but only clarity, soundstage, bass and instrument separation, etc.

3) Suggest some more speakers/nearfield monitors (better than A5) for around $500 for my room size.

Sep 25, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #2 of 21

Quote:
Hi people,

I need a 2.0 / 2.1 desktop speaker set for my room. Room size is 150in x 130in. I sit about 50in away from speakers.

1) How much better will Adam A7X be compared to Audioengine A5, given my smaller room size? Will my room size considerably limit their performance?

2) Adams are available at 780$ whereas A5 are for 425$. Are they worth the price difference if i do not need loudness but only clarity, soundstage, bass and instrument separation, etc.

3) Suggest some more speakers/nearfield monitors (better than A5) for around $500 for my room size.

Swan M200 MkIII are really a good choice : Bi-amped with active crossover filters, very good extension in Bass, not boomy at all, very precise, very good instrument separation, and smooth high... i use them with a Audio-GD DAC 19, they are very resolving and translates all the details from the sound of the DAC
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #3 of 21
I have used a5 speakers for nearfield listening at my computer for a couple of years.  I don't feel deprived compared to listened to large 3-way active monitors in another room.The A5s are clearly not perfect but at a reasonable listening volume, they provide clear and well balanced sound. There is a quite satisfactory level of detail in the sound they produce.

The Adam a7x monitors would be on my short list along with Dynaudio and Focal powered monitors.  Maybe for another room rather than to replace the Audioengine A5s.

> 2) Adams are available at 780$ whereas A5 are for 425$. Are they worth the price difference
> if i do not need loudness but only clarity, soundstage, bass and instrument separation, etc.

I see USA prices for the Audioengine A5s at around $ 325 per pair.  (Bamboo finish costs much more.)  Adam a7x monitors seem to go for about $ 600 each.

Bill

Sep 26, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #5 of 21

Quote:
@FasterThanEver  Will A7X sound constrained in my small room?
What are other choices better than A5 for a smaller room like mine, within $500 budget.

No, your room isn't too small for it. The Adam A5 sound a whole lot better than the Audioengine A5 although it's close to $500 for a pair of Adam A5 rather than $325 for the Audioengines. I have the Audioengine A5, Adam A5, Adam A7, and Adam S3A. Simply put, the Audioengine sounds really equalized to me. It pumps out a lot of midbass to compensate for the fact that it doesn't extend very low and there isn't much soundstage, clarity, mids, and treble to speak of in contrast to the Adam A5 and A7. However, you really can't expect much competition given their relative different price point and targeted consumers.

Sep 26, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #6 of 21
At my place,
A5X = 530$
A7X = 800$

In what way is A7X better than A5X? I read somewhere that untreated small room doesnt gel well with A7X so A5X are more preferable. I sit about 20inches away from speakers.
I also read that Adams sound fatiguing. Is that so? I dont like sharp/harsh highs.

Also how is Adam A5X better than Audioengine A5. I cant find a comparison of the two.

PS: I wont be recording anything. I just want desktop speakers to listen to music.

Sep 26, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #7 of 21
The Audioengine is a powered speaker.
This means 1 box contains the amp and all the speakers are driven by this amp with of course a crossover between the amp and the speakers. Pretty much like a conventional setup.

The Adam is a active speaker. Each speaker is driven by its own amp without a crossover in between.
The crossover is done on line level. This allows the use of active components.
This allows for more functionality than possible with passive components:

1. Different filters like Butterworth, Bessel and Linkwitz-Riley
  2. Selectable roll-off characteristics from 6 to 48 dB/octave
  3. Parametric Equalization
  4. Time Alignment of transducers
  5. System Gain
  6. Individual output channel gain
  7. Etc.

In principle the active approach should yield less distortion and as a consequence a more transparent sound.
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/Crossover.htm

Sep 26, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
@rosevel: WTH was that !!!

Do Adam A5x, A7x have sharp highs? I don't want something which is harsh/bright/fatiguing.

LOL....sometimes we just compile information we find around the net without arranging it so that it is meaningful.  The Adams tweeters can call attention to themselves but ribbons are not as harsh as metal dome tweeters imo.  For the most part it will depend on the associated equipment.  This will determine if you get open clear sound or open bright sound.  Guitar Centers are starting to carry Adams now you can go have a listen for yourself.

Like most Pro powered speakers they do have internal x-overs and level adjustments so you can use those as well.  Searching around the net you will be hard pressed to find a review that knocks them for being harsh/bright/fatiguing though.

Sep 26, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #10 of 21

Quote:
Hi people,

Much better that the AE-A5 no comparison, think of the Adams as surgeons tools you they allow you to pick apart and appreciate the fine details and energy of the music with ease.  Sound engineers depend on this quality to make money, to put food on the table and pay rent.  You will not find a pair of Audioengine speakers working at the same capacity.  Audioengine speakers are made for consumers who listen to bad quality MP3.

Yes the A7 will give you more bass, but it will also give you more of everything else with greater ease.

Some people like the KRK products, I like Dynaudio, JM lab is another option.

Sep 26, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #11 of 21
@Dynabot: Thanks man, pretty helpful reply. But it also got me thinking.
I use 256kbps music. Should i go for "monitors" or "bookshelves/consumer audio"? I just want my music to sound as good as possible.

Sep 26, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
@Dynabot: Thanks man, pretty helpful reply. But it also got me thinking.
I use 256kbps music. Should i go for "monitors" or "bookshelves/consumer audio"? I just want my music to sound as good as possible.

If I were you I'd take a trip to my local Guitar Center.  Listen to some KRKs and Dynaudios and Adams.  I would also not even consider a consumer brand to be in the same league as pro-monitors.

JM Labs, Adam, Dynaudio you can't go wrong really.  Even KRK is a huge value for the sound.  Don't sell yourself short only to upgrade.

Sep 26, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
Swan M200 MkIII are really a good choice : Bi-amped with active crossover filters, very good extension in Bass, not boomy at all, very precise, very good instrument separation, and smooth high... i use them with a Audio-GD DAC 19, they are very resolving and translates all the details from the sound of the DAC
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

Yep, can't recommend these enough. I've had my pair for a little less than a week now and I'm in love them them. They sound incredible at all volume levels. I'm using them nearfield at my computer desk, but my desk is in the living room of our apartment and they do an excellent job of filling the whole room with sound. They are very transparent with a wide soundstage and incredible imaging. They absolutely demolish my Alessandro MS-2s on detail and clarity.

Sep 26, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
@FasterThanEver  Will A7X sound constrained in my small room?
What are other choices better than A5 for a smaller room like mine, within $500 budget.

The Audioengine A5, a Swans powered model and an Acoustic Energy powered speaker were on my list a couple of years ago..  All had positive reports and a few good reviews.  None were available locally.  I chose the Audioengine A5s and have not heard the other two models.

I mostly listen to my Audioengine A5s in the near field.  The speakers are about 5" from the wall behind them and the speakers are angled with respect to the back wall - a bare minimum for rear ported speakers.  The speakers are on a shelf about 18" above my desk aimed more or less at my head.  The 11 foot by 15 foot  room has a Persian rug on the floor and lots of books on the walls.

You may have heard of floor bounce - the interference between direct sound and sound reflected from the floor that causes peaks and dips in response at your listening position.  For computer speakers, the desk top can case similar interference.  So can having a wall close behind the speakers.  Placement of speakers (and the listener) makes a big difference in fitting any speakers response curve to the room's characteristics.  Differences in on-axis and off-axis frequency response  between speakers may make one particular model a better fit for your room.  When you read a report about speaker sound, keep in mind that it is specific to that person's situation.

You should be able to find a good setup in your room for either Audioengine A5s or Adam A5s or A7s if you have some flexibility.

Quote:
No, your room isn't too small for it. The Adam A5 sound a whole lot better than the Audioengine A5 although it's close to $500 for a pair of Adam A5 rather than $325 for the Audioengines. I have the Audioengine A5, Adam A5, Adam A7, and Adam S3A. Simply put, the Audioengine sounds really equalized to me. It pumps out a lot of midbass to compensate for the fact that it doesn't extend very low and there isn't much soundstage, clarity, mids, and treble to speak of in contrast to the Adam A5 and A7. However, you really can't expect much competition given their relative different price point and targeted consumers.

My experience has been that the Audioengine delivers very pleasing sound.  When I measure output at my listening position, I get reasonable output down to about 60 Hz without a big midbass peak.  Clarity seems good to me and the soundstage is quite believable.  I hear differences in recording perspective and microphone technique as I expect to on a good sound system. My 3-way active speakers in another room are better in various ways but I am not deprived when I listen using the A5s.

The Audioengine A5s have woofers of about 5" diameter.  Don't expect miracles from any other bookshelf speaker with a single 5" woofer. I'd certainly consider active monitors with~7" woofers if I wanted to spend $ 1000-1200 a pair.

> there isn't much soundstage, clarity, mids, and treble to speak of in contrast to the Adam A5 and A7.

Apparently, moonboy403 isn't hearing anything but midbass from the Audioengine A5s. Aside from possible audiophile hyperbole, his room and his setup may be different from mine.  I'm certainly willing to believe that the Adam A7s can be better in various ways.  Maybe the Adam A5s are better too. I'd expect flatter and deeper bass response, less distortion in the bass region, better power handling and possibly more clarity from speakers that were much more expensive than Audioengine A5s.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back