Adam A7x Audiophile Review by Digital Newbie
May 24, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #16 of 58
Quote:
I highly recommend the tubedac-11, it gives a nice analog type sound. You wont think digital at all with the Adam Ax series combo, even mp3's sound nice. The fun part is tube rolling once you have everything setup and burned in fully. If you have any questions hit me up!

It's too late now, SwanSong, I went ahead and ordered the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic even though, I am not much a fan boy of CA. Factors for my purchase : 1. XLR connections, multiple Toslinks, USB... and the Wolfson DAC.

Thank you anyway. What makes this hobby so beautiful is personal preference but only one ultimate goal that is happiness.

Happy listening.

Andrew Doan

May 26, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #17 of 58
It's too late now, SwanSong, I went ahead and ordered the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic even though, I am not much a fan boy of CA. Factors for my purchase : 1. XLR connections, multiple Toslinks, USB... and the Wolfson DAC.

Thank you anyway. What makes this hobby so beautiful is personal preference but only one ultimate goal that is happiness.

Happy listening.

Andrew Doan

Great!! When I upgrade I'm going to a balanced setup as well! Check back with the results ACDOAN

May 29, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #18 of 58
Great!! When I upgrade I'm going to a balanced setup as well! Check back with the results ACDOAN

My A7xs should arrive today. Still waiting for XLR cables and the Iso- acoustics stand and the CA DAC. I went to Ikea yesterday and found what I have been looking for ( sorry for the U2 Bono since he has not ), a real wood birch knives holder. Nice wood work from the friendly people of Republic of China at $11.50 a pop. Nice desktop speakers stand . I put 2 blocks horizontally under my I Mac and 2 blocks vertically for my A3xs. Good desktop speaker stands and good decor if you like wood stuff. Spec: 5" W, 4"D,11"H. Try them,you may like the way they look. I do.

May 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #19 of 58
Could you post pictures one you are done?

May 29, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #23 of 58
I think that will look real classy!

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #25 of 58
Jun 8, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #26 of 58
Sorry for the late reply. This is what I end up with my second Adam system: A7Xs, HP desktop, Audio Engine D1. BTW, as the fanboy of the budget AE products,I'd like to say thank to AE super customer service to expedite the D1 to me while the first shipment was MIA by UPS. I have not have much time to play around to know the A7Xs but this is my few words: 1. Organic. 2. Sweet mid -range. 3. Instruments separations good . 4. The A7Xs do not call for any attention to themselves but just music. I do not hear the speakers but the whole soundstage which is what I am looking for however their limitation being narrow not wide dispersion as HI-FI speakers as Martin Logan or Apogee. 5. Bass is not tight as I wish for but I have not played any music with heavy bass so I will save that for later. 6. No digital harshness or offense forwarding presentation from a pro-active monitors. That's something out of my expectation. Maybe,I am defeat the purpose of the Pro-active speakers by using the AE D1 but hey it is my ears and my hard earned money so I will take the flame. The AE D1 is my favourite USB for being warm and fat in mid-range while not sacrificing the hi and the low end and that what I am looking for. Love it. Organic and Sweet from a pro-active monitors ? Yes,they are. I am listening to the A7X my first time right now. I play Madeleine Peyroux Dream Land from Spotify Premium and I am very please with they way A7Xs present the music to me. I will try some Diana Krall CDs later with my CDP player using optical connection and report later.

Jun 9, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #27 of 58
Enjoy! By nature studio monitors will have a narrower sweet spot remember these are nearfield. As you move up the active food chain there are midfield and then main monitors. The bass control is more a dac issue than monitor but use the lower shelf adjustment on the back of the A7x it may help. I have seen the bass change more by tayloring it via tube rolling that's why I think its a dac issue. You will also hear some improvement overall after burnin I'm sure. Looking forward to final update.

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #28 of 58
Agree. I think the AE D1 gives me the mid-range that I am looking for and for this particular application,I am very pleased with my spending. The A3Xs gives me more mid-bass punch and airy high which I use with my I Mac+the AE D1 as mutli-media desktop set up. The A7Xs for listening to some piece of jazz with vocals such as Barber Patricia, Shirley Horn, Madeleine P.and mostly my beloved Diana Krall at louder level and for more critical listening. I played the CD" The girl in the other room " by D.Krall and the silky voice is beautifully reproduced, not less than some full size planar speakers I used to own. In the " Temptation" track, the sound of the drum stick snap on the right speaker is right on the spot .The Heil Air Motion transducer of course is so airy and spacious without any tizzy harshness. Very pleased. Thank you.

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #29 of 58
I was confused because you mentioned AE D1 before and I thought that was your desktop A3x application. Your still waiting for the CA Dac for the A7x in a balance setup. That's the feedback I was waiting on and was surprised by your comment regarding bass on the A7x. The Cambridge Dac will iron out those issues I'm sure.

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #30 of 58
Quote:
I was confused because you mentioned AE D1 before and I thought that was your desktop A3x application. Your still waiting for the CA Dac for the A7x in a balance setup. That's the feedback I was waiting on and was surprised by your comment regarding bass on the A7x. The Cambridge Dac will iron out those issues I'm sure.

Sorry, I used the AE D1 on both of the A3X ( with my IMAC) and A7X ( with my HP desktop). I am not complaint of the A7Xs bass. I just surprise that they are not tight as I  want but again these are monitors I cannot expect they go down to 20hz ( I believe the spec calls for around 42Hz) as with the Martin Logan SL3. I am getting to know my A7Xs . So far , I am very impressed with the A7X. BTW, I hate too much bass. More into smooth  hi,  sweet mid-range, tight mid bass. The Adam audio is very coherent speakers, and I enjoy them .

No I cancelled the CA after reading some reports of their hi is somewhat harsh or sibilant. My ears are too sensitive for " aggressive extended hi".  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back