Adam A5X speaker questions
Mar 16, 2012 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Iorek

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

Thinking about getting a pair of Adam A5X speakers to go along with a new PC build soon, but I had a couple questions.

These will be my first pair of active speakers, so I just wanted to confirm that I'll be fine with my setup. The source will be a CEntrance DACmini CX, which has an RCA out. All I'll need is two mono RCA cables (Like these for example: http://www.amazon.com/Cables-To-Go-Series-Meters/dp/B0002J1LD4/ ) going to each speaker, correct?

Secondly, I've read that the bass is deep and such, but how does it compare to a system with a powered sub? Right now I'm using a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system, and I'd hate to lose bass. That said I'm not a basshead and I listen at relatively low volumes, so I don't need a ton of power.

Finally, from what I've read if they're going to be on top of my desk I should purchase some Auralex pads (Such as these: http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-MOPAD-Monitor-Isolation-Charcoal/dp/B0002D0B4K/ ) to go under them?

Thanks!

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 12
Have you thought about how you are going to control the volume of the signal going to the monitors?  Unless you'll be doing it digitally, you should look for a DAC with variable analog line output.  Check out this thread.

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #3 of 12
I assumed that controlling the volume via the knob on the speakers would be fine... is that not the case? If it were absolutely necessary I could get the variable line out mod for my CX.

Mar 17, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 12
It is certainly possible.  The question is whether it is desirable from a practical perspective.  Are you ready to adjust the knob control on both monitors every time you want to change volume up or down?  This will get old and tedious very quickly.  Also, if the volume controls on the monitors are not stepped, it can lead to channel imbalance imperfections.

Mar 17, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
It is certainly possible.  The question is whether it is desirable from a practical perspective.  Are you ready to adjust the knob control on both monitors every time you want to change volume up or down?  This will get old and tedious very quickly.  Also, if the volume controls on the monitors are not stepped, it can lead to channel imbalance imperfections.

I think adam monitors have "stereolink" option, so you will only have to change the volume on one speaker.

"Stereolink
A very handy and exclusive feature found in the two smaller AX monitors is the Stereolink. This is accomplished by a pair of additional RCA connections that allow for a bypass of the second stereo channel to the other speaker.
This new technology connects two A5X speakers in such a manner as to allow the user the option to control the overall stereo volume of the system from either speakers gain control. This makes the A5X a natural for “mixer-less” desktop applications where overall system volume needs to be adjusted easily."

I would recommend Adam's own stands to isolate the speakers from the table: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/688851-REG/Adam_Professional_Audio_A5X_STANDS_A5X_Stands_Desktop_Stands.html

Quote:

Secondly, I've read that the bass is deep and such, but how does it compare to a system with a powered sub? Right now I'm using a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system, and I'd hate to lose bass. That said I'm not a basshead and I listen at relatively low volumes, so I don't need a ton of power.

I would buy Adam A3X's and Adam Sub7 instead of the A5X.

Mar 18, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:

Yes, you will lose bass compared to the Klipsch Promedia system. I would recommend buying Adam A3X's and Adam Sub7 instead of the A5X.

That sounds like a good idea.

I did a bit of research yesterday on the Adams, and while I have no problem with a flat frequency response, some have described the monitors as shrill and fatiguing. I should have mentioned... these are for listening only... music and possibly some gaming, though I typically use headphones for games. Anyway, I primarily listen to pop and electronic music with 99.9% female vocals. I'm worried that the tweeter will be a bit too much with this type of music. If anyone has alternatives more suited to my needs in the $1,000-1,500 range (for monitors + sub) I'd be happy to hear them.

Of course I plan on purchasing them somewhere locally with a good return policy in the event that I dislike them, but I was hoping to get some opinions prior to making the purchase.

Thanks for the input so far.

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #8 of 12
Hi, I currently own a pair of Adam a3x and I have never found them to be shrill nor fatiguing. I listen mostly to pop, rock, metal, and jazz. Also besides controlling the volume using stereolink, you can always hook it up to a pre-amp if you already have one. And by themselves, I can't say they have bass comparable to the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 which I own as well. But I'm not much of a basshead so it's decent enough for me, at least more bass than I thought these would have. And yes, I would also get some isolation pads, they helped A LOT with the bass. Although Adam a3x are kind of tiny compared to the pads. If that bothers you, I suggest going with Adam's own stands.

Jul 21, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
I'll need is two mono RCA cables ....[snip].......going to each speaker, correct?

If you choose to take advantage of the stereolink option you actually connect both RCAs to one speaker and use the included cable to link to the other.

I originally bought ADAM A3X to use as desktop monitors only (on stands) but I was so delighted I got an ADAM sub as well and relegated the TDL RTL3 floorstanders to the summer house. I like the ADAM 5 year warranty, remote control and, particularly handy, footswitch.

As regards the supposed 'fatiguing' sound claims. When i first got them I found I could recreate the sound of more traditional hi-fi grade speakers by adding a broad 1.5dB bump around 150hz and taking out a similar amount centred on 2.5kHz. Rarely if ever use this preset now though. I've come to trust the speakers to the extent that if anything doesn't sound great it must be a crap recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back