AD900X VS Hyper x Clouds
Sep 2, 2014 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

metamemory

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys !

New to the forums and new to headphones (sorry don't know a lot). Im wanting advice on headphone purchase for gaming (and a little bit of music, rap mostly). I was looking at the AD900x's and the Hyper X clouds but I'm open for suggestions, budget is 100-200 AUD. I also don't have a amp and I was reading somewhere that the Hyper X Clouds need a amp because they use 60 Ohms?

This is the motherboard i have https://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-h97plus if that helps anything

Thanks guys any advice is appreciated!

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 15
  Hey Guys !

New to the forums and new to headphones (sorry don't know a lot). Im wanting advice on headphone purchase for gaming (and a little bit of music, rap mostly). I was looking at the AD900x's and the Hyper X clouds but I'm open for suggestions, budget is 100-200 AUD. I also don't have a amp and I was reading somewhere that the Hyper X Clouds need a amp because they use 60 Ohms?

This is the motherboard i have https://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-h97plus if that helps anything

Thanks guys any advice is appreciated!

60-Ohms is fairly easy to drive, I would be surprised if your motherboard on-board could not drive them.
You could always get a Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card, they can drive headphones up to 150-Ohms.

Sep 3, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #3 of 15
The hyper-x is a takstar pro80 with mic.

Sep 3, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 15
  So if i can get a Takstar Pro 80 for half the price i should just get that?

If you have no need for a mic, then might as well get the Takstar Pro 80.
You might find it's worth it to pay a few dollars more for faster shipping, otherwise it might take a few weeks to arrive.

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 15
  well couldn't I just buy a cheap 2-3$ mic? I can get the Takstar Pro 80 for 70$ or the hyper x for 129$ AUD.

If you have no problem with a low cost mic, $70 for the Takstar Pro 80s is a good price.
In the USA, you can find the HyperX Cloud for under $100
Have you checked around for the Qpad QH-90, it's another Takstar Pro 80 with a built in mic.
It would be nice to get a built in mic on the headphone, but only if you pay a few dollars more then you would for the Pro 80s.

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #9 of 15
I can answer this.
The HyperX Cloud 2 comes with both velour and pleather pads. Pleather comes installed on the unit, velour is in the box. If you wear the leather, sound is seriously isolated. I'm not speaking of how well the sound isolates within the earcups (as in, the sound given off by the headphones), but instead about the sound that gets in from the outside world. You will have trouble hearing yourself talk through these things if, say, you like to Skype, unless you somehow rig it so that you can hear yourself through the cans. The velour noise isolation is good but not absolutely top-notch.
I can't compare these to other units except the g35, whose sound isolation is decent going on good. There might be gaming headsets that are even more efficient about not letting sound in and out, but for its price point the HyperX Cloud 2 does this quite well.

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #11 of 15
Takstar Hi 2050 is the open version of that btw, and the Headset version of this is the QPad QH 85.
If you prefer an open design (which gives you a more airy sound with bigger soundstage)

Btw, HyperX Cloud 1 comes also with both velour and pleather pads. Only difference on the 2 is:
- 4pol combo jack instead of seperate headphone + mic jacks
- USB-Soundcard.

If the price difference is small, take the 2, otherwise the technical identical 1, and use the saved money for a "real" soundcard, like xonar DGX~.

Btw, both headphones/headsets (Takstar/Qpad/Kingston) are MUCH better than the Logitech G35. Soundquality is more natural, precise and better soundstage, and the Build quality is on a whole different Level.
One reason, i recommend the Qpad/Kingston headsets as "the best headsets on the market, below the MMX 300".

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #12 of 15
Arguably I would say Sennheiser 364D might give MMX300 a run for its money, at least as far as sound goes.
I agree that g35 is not as good as the HyperX Cloud. It sounds better - its bass sounds boomier, its treble sparklier - but everything else, including build quality, is inferior. It's not an awful set, but it's really no contest.
Thanks for the comparison between the tw different versions of HyperX Cloud.

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #13 of 15
G35 is a poor headset in my experience. Mediocre build, muffled sound, bad comfort. That sums it

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #14 of 15
Depends on your definition of muffled. I actually find its treble extension rather sizzly at times, to the point that I thought the x2 and HD598s were muffled when I tried them. If by muffled you mean unclear in general though, with little separation, I agree with you on that, unless the recording is particularly well-produced, in which case it goes from bad to passable.

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #15 of 15
I got both cloud models. Actually, the headband seems a bit more dense and a little bigger on cloud I. On field test, the comfort is the same good one.

Quality wise they're obvious the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back