AD900 vs. dt880 vs. k601 (gaming)
Feb 6, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #46 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by wmf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
soundstage is important, but what about everything else. im thinking of going the DT880s, due to their overall better (quality) of sound. ive heard the AD700s sound a little thin.
but then theres the denon D2000, apparently another sweet closed can for gaming... sigh.
i would happily get the DT880, 250ohms, if i knew what amp would be a perfect match for it.

If you want more accurate tonality in gaming get the DT880.. They are easily more neutral & transparent then the AD700/D2000.

Feb 6, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #47 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want more accurate tonality in gaming get the DT880.. They are easily more neutral & transparent then the AD700/D2000.

yep i think ive already decided on the DT880s. (recabled) would i get better sound out of higher ohm models, such as the 250ohm rather than the 32ohm.
or its near enough the same. well actually not... lol, as the higher ohm models would need to be running thru an amp, which would give better sound, than just running directly to an onboard xf-i s'card without amp ....
would an ibasso amp run the dt880 250ohm ok or no.

Feb 8, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #48 of 76
im gonna be running a dt880 250ohm/ astro mixamp set up really soon for gaming. i decided finally to seperate my gaming preferences and music/ all other preferences after manyyy hours of reading.. since logically they really have different needs. (talking about the competitive side for gaming, not the rpg everything sounds blissful side of gaming)

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #49 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by wmf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yep i think ive already decided on the DT880s. (recabled) would i get better sound out of higher ohm models, such as the 250ohm rather than the 32ohm.
or its near enough the same. well actually not... lol, as the higher ohm models would need to be running thru an amp, which would give better sound, than just running directly to an onboard xf-i s'card without amp ....
would an ibasso amp run the dt880 250ohm ok or no.

I wouldn't do recabling until you have a very high end DAC and amp. To me it seems pretty pointless to go with a recabled DT880 if you are going to run it straight from your soundcard.

Feb 8, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #50 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How would you compare the AKG k601 with the DT880 for gaming?

Feb 8, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #51 of 76
I thought the HD555 sounded pretty good with the A40 mixamp...and the HD650 even better.

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #54 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by InFn-0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If AD700's + X-fi combo is so great, then why dont the professionals like MYM and SK use them? Just a thought.

Coz they are probably noobs at audio. They think they have the best but most likely do not
wink.gif
. They need to go on these forums
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #55 of 76
The professionals dont use these headphones cause they are sponsored to use the Siberia's and the 5HV2's.
Keep in mind, they only play CS 1.6, and its very easy to locate footsteps in that game with a decent pair. The Siberia and 5H are good enough for them, it gets the job done. I myself have a Siberia I use exclusively for LAN and CSS/CS 1.6.
And did I mention, they are sponsored?
Also, if you ever saw WCG pics, mTw played with Senns PC350, simply cause they were sponsored by Sennheiser.

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #56 of 76
Yes you did mention they are sponsored. I get the point
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #58 of 76
You all are crazy!!
wink.gif

Kidding but every post I read slightly throws off what I've decided in my mind through reading these forums.

I used to be a pick PC Gamer.

I now Game on Xbox and play Call of Duty. The most important thing for me is being able to hear exactly where my enemies are / enough separation to tell how many of them there are or if there is an enemy amongst friends. I also need to be able to hear Ninja Pro.

I have the DT770's/80ohm because I am a bit stupid. I saw them at the store one day and remembered reading all this a long time ago and got excited and confused at the same time and bought them.

They are very nice IMO but lacking in soundstage. Separation is decent and so is accuracy but definitely not dead on.

I'm about to buy the AD700's, the DT880 250, or it seems the AKG 701 comes up often but I haven't looked into it a lot yet.

I have the Astro A40 Mixamp. It powered my 595's great but I'm not so sure that I'm getting full quality from my DT770's even if they are only 80 ohm. My 595's are great but not immersive enough for me. Not only are they open but they are fairly weak and distant sounding to my ears. That's why I've stuck with the DT770's for a while - better immersion. (Even though they still seem a little dead or flat to me)

I AM WILLING UPON YOUR SPECIFIC RECOMMENDATIONS to get another amp to place between the Astro and the Headphones.

With that in mind - which headphone should I get? Considering that I am willing to add another amp if that's what it takes.

AD700 w/ Astro Mixamp

DT880 32ohm w/ Astro Mixamp

DT880 250ohm w/ Astro Mixamp

DT880 250ohm w/ Astro Mixamp + desktop/external AMP?

Other? (DT880 650? AKG 701?)

I know Foehammer always says the extra amp is not needed and I believe him. I just want the sound to blow me out of the water (I don't mean be really loud) so I can really feel like I'm in the game and increase my awareness thereby upping my score.

I also need a specific recommendation on which extra amp if needed. I hear Tube amp might not be the way to go. I want something fast as in - I don't want the extra amp adding several milliseconds of latency causing the audio and video to not be in sync. This would defeat the purpose of everything I'm doing. I have no idea what I'm talking about or if that would even be a concern.

Thanks so much.

-Trent

Feb 14, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #59 of 76
I vote for AD700
biggrin.gif
I use it with my computer's X-Fi card so I cannot tell you which amp to get. The DT880 will be more 'fun' to listen with, but the soundstage is not as wide, nor accurate FWIR.

Feb 14, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #60 of 76
I recently purchased the mixamp and the AD700s and HD595s to try out. The AD700s are definitely brighter and have less bass than the HD595s. I feel I can pinpoint enemies a little better with the AD700s, but they are not as immersive as I would like. The HD595s are more immersive, but they are a little muddy. I was just playing COD4 on Wetwork and the sound of rain was more crisp, detailed with the AD700s. I'm having a hard time choosing between the two.

I'm seriously considering getting the DT880s, but like trent_bob can't decide between the 32ohm and 250ohm. I will only be using the mixamp. I haven't found much info on the 32ohm version, particulary paired with the mixamp. Some say the 250ohm version will work with the mixamp, while others don't, so I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back