AD900 or K701 - which would you get?
Jun 9, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #76 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And so my comment becomes true once again, the vain 701 people put another user in the weeds because protecting your precious 701 headphone from having a bad reputation is soooooo much more important than being honest with the OP. For those of you who own more than just the 701, you have done a great disservice for the OP as he came here seeking help and all he got was a bunch of vain ******** from a pile of liars. And now you guys have created another bad apple by having another person go around telling people, hey its........

Makes me laugh. Who started this enn? This is the winner who lives in his own imagination and keeps ignoring pretty much anything else. By covering ears to different opinions and shouting again and again of his self righteousness, he does gain lots of satisfaction. Since he has this ignoring and easy forgetting hobby, I can't help to be true with him, we call this syndrome YY, or just be kind, childish.

Jun 9, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #77 of 171
Quote:

And so my comment becomes true once again, the vain 701 people put another user in the weeds because protecting your precious 701 headphone from having a bad reputation is soooooo much more important than being honest with the OP. For those of you who own more than just the 701, you have done a great disservice for the OP as he came here seeking help and all he got was a bunch of vain ******** from a pile of liars. And now you guys have created another bad apple by having another person go around telling people, hey its OK, you don't need an amp for the 701's, they sound great without one. Too bad for him he may never know the difference thanks to you vain pretentious dishonest little children. Some of you are going on my ignore list as you are not here to help anyone but to pump your own ego's at the expense of a user who came here looking for help and got left in the woods still believing in snipes.

Honest:

etc., etc., etc.

Here is a link to the specs on the OP's mixing board if anyone gives a crap. http://www.behringerdownload.de/UB-M...1-12_Rev.4.pdf

The mixer costs $49.99 <~~There is was for everyone to read, right here on the internet and not one person bothered to look it up.

Yahoo! Shopping Search Results for UB802

For anyone with a zippy comeback, dont bother, you are on my ignore list.

losern.jpg
newpicture10.jpg

Man, what the hell is wrong with you?

I never said the k701 would be worth something without an amp. I never said they're at all reccomended for all kinds of music. What in gods name do you want?

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #79 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by nadavnaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, what the hell is wrong with you?

I never said the k701 would be worth something without an amp. I never said they're at all reccomended for all kinds of music. What in gods name do you want?

Quote:

With Jazz, they sound just right to me with most recordings, and with bright recordings they sound bright and the bass is missing. With others the bass is perfect. With some it's too much (again, that is plugged to my kicas caliente). Mostly jazz sounds perfectly in balance.

Quote:

With classical music, to me the k701 sound neutral with a tad too much bass, that is plugged to my Kicas Caliente. Far from bright, neutral with a tad emphasis on bass. Airy goodness, spacious. amazing for orchestra music. Spacious, wide, hall like. True to life.

Quote:

To say that the k701 bass doesn't extend deep isn't true. It just fails to supply mainstream music with the adequate punch needed in those deep frequencies, whereas with acoustic recorded music the extension is perfect and provides a feeling of airiness and space instead of making the rich overtones of a piano/guitar sound.

Quote:

Sorry to blow the k701 hater's bubble here, the k701 fanboys as well.

You recommended the 701 for certain types of music with a total disreguard for the OP's lack of proper amplification.
confused_face_2.gif

There is nothing wrong with me, or my advice.

Jun 9, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #80 of 171
Quote:

You recommended the 701 for certain types of music with a total disreguard for the OP's lack of proper amplification.
confused_face_2.gif

There is nothing wrong with me, or my advice.

Only your attitude is wrong.

I didn't notice the thread Op's lack of good amplification. But jeez, there's no need to go to extremes.

Jun 9, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #81 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by nadavnaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only your attitude is wrong.

I didn't notice the thread Op's lack of good amplification. But jeez, there's no need to go to extremes.

Obviously there was because he bought the wrong headphones and ended up selling them. Quit while you are behind.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #82 of 171
A headphone that only sounds good with certain recordings is not a good headphone.
AD700s sound great with everything, so I am certain that the AD900s do too (they are very similar, just more refined.)
If 100% of my CD collection consisted of solo violin, I might have liked K701s (except for the complete lack of comfort, of course.)

Jun 9, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #83 of 171
[size=small]So, the battle, to unravel the enigma that the K701 is, rages!
Well, I did another round of A-B-X-ING this evening, till my ears hurt!
I have written a lot about the K701 before and I would prefer not to repeat the old stuff. What I will explore instead, is the effect, that burn in had on these cans.
A few noteworthy points:
1.Very boring and sterile, if not amped well. (High Gain on my Ultra Micro mandatory)
2.Thoroughly useless for low volume listening. (The theory of Equal loudness Contours applies to the K701, so listen in a quiet room at concert levels. Note that concert level could be pretty loud as orchestral peaks reach 100+ dB. If the room is quiet, then you can keep the average loudness in the 70-80dB range and listen safely, without fearing hearing damage. Just ensure that the peaks don’t go beyond 100-110 dB and DON’T listen AT A STRECH AT THAT VOLUME, short peaks at that level won’t hurt your ears)

Prior to burn-in, fresh out of the box:

1.Vertical soundstage, not much width.
2.Highest highs NON EXISTENT, highs a bit rolled off, harsh texture, lacking sparkle
3.Lean and recessed midrange, bleached, smaller than life instruments.
4.Violin sound lacks BODY, as a head-fier put it, body is DUCT TAPED. LOL!
5. A hint of hollowness, a bit of the hollow tube to your ear effect, as noted by MARKL.
6.Subdued bass.
7.Tipped towards upper midrange, sounds like cheap earbuds at times! (Much higher resolution and transparency, though)

Post burn-in:

1.Wide, wide soundstage.
2.Highest highs still non-existent, however that harsh texture is gone, lots of sparkle!
3.Leanness of tone is almost gone; however, the violin is marginally recessed in some vocal-instrumental tracks, perfect in others.
4.Amazing piano with great attack and decay, start and stop of notes is spot on.
5.Great cymbals, GREAT TIMPANI-WHO SAID THESE CANS HAVE NO BASS? THEIR WEAKNESSES LIE ELSEWHERE.
6.Tube to your ear effect has vanished!
7.Sounds fairly balanced across the entire frequency spectrum, probably with a marginal upper midrange boost, not a deal breaker this! Sound is MUCH MORE BALANCED after burn-in, fairly neutral!
8.Great resolution, superb timing, imaging and sound-staging.
9.Violins have body, at last! But still, rendition of strings is an area of weakness with some tracks, NOT ALL!

WEAKNESS:
Presentation of violins is kind of a HIT OR MISS affair. Contrary to general opinion, the body resonance of the violin is no longer missing, especially after burn-in. What it misses, while rendering violins, are a few overtones and harmonics in the upper midrange and high treble. The violin, especially when it is an accompaniment to vocals, is presented in a recessed and SUBTRACTIVE WAY, missing the said upper midrange and high treble harmonics.

This is much less of an issue with orchestral tracks, being more noticeable in random vocal recordings.
On my Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 violins jump out of the track calling attention… this is sometimes not the case with the AKG.

Although I didn’t do critical listening, the QUAD 11L2 seems to sound a bit like the K701 overall! (Just an initial impression, I never heard the QUAD 11L2 for a long enough time, I might be wrong)

However, I never heard all the essentials of violin sound on my PX100 and SHURE E4C… so the K701 does not have a huge void in this area, when compared with other cans, which I have heard.

Overall, the K701 is a very nice can when burned in and amped properly. IT DOES HAVE WEAKNESSESS, BUT TELL ME, WHAT DOESN’T?

[/size]

Jun 9, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #86 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A headphone that only sounds good with certain recordings is not a good headphone.

It's not that hard to understand. The music that is by far the most popular here is the kind of music that 99% of the time is recorded, mixed, and mastered with a total disregard for sound quality.
It's amazing enough that people are interested in listening to this music with high end gear. Why would they want to listen to it with a super detailed and transparent headphones? Of course it will sound like crap - that's because it always did sound like crap
wink.gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #87 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not that hard to understand. The music that is by far the most popular here is the kind of music that 99% of the time is recorded, mixed, and mastered with a total disregard for sound quality.
It's amazing enough that people are interested in listening to this music with high end gear. Why would they want to listen to it with a super detailed and transparent headphones? Of course it will sound like crap - that's because it always did sound like crap
wink.gif

I understand your point, that's why I have the RS-1s. It handles the 99% with a bit of a beerbuzz. Man don't have to live by water alone.

Jun 9, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #88 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand your point, that's why I have the RS-1s. It handles the 99% with a bit of a beerbuzz. Man don't have to live by water alone.

lol, you mean the man need air too?

Jun 9, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #89 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Yup.

and to the prior statement someone posted [size=large]"a headphone that sounds good only with certain [=good!] recordings is NOT a good headphone"[/size]

Well, because with good recordings they sound AMAZING.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back