AD8610 voltage
Jul 19, 2002 at 2:53 PM Post #16 of 20
AD confirmed that these opamps should work fine to a maximum of 26v when voltage is applied to a single rail.

ie is ok up to

+0v and -26v

or

-0v and +26v...

They say it is the total difference that matters... just be careful with the corresponding input voltages.

This is good news for those of us with the SONY SACD Players...

I have the ad8620 in the Buffer/servo position replacing the ad712.

So far Works just fine with single rail voltages of 16v...

Had the ad8610 dual modules in I/V position and they failed, but stupidly forgot a connection when closing up and this may have effected the opamps
rolleyes.gif

Jul 19, 2002 at 6:43 PM Post #17 of 20
Since this thread has been revived...

I hadn't tested this when the thread was live two weeks ago, but now I have. What I discovered is that on difficult tests, you can still get some distortion from the AD8610 when the amp has a 9V p-p supply. In practical terms this means you can expect to run on lower voltages without problems in some situations. Just beware that the chip isn't performing its best at 9V and lower. Personally I would hesitate to use this chip for a single 9V battery amp. Instead, look into the AD8512 or the AD845 -- these will both run down to about 8V without distortion, and lower before the sound really starts crapping out, which is enough for tolerable battery life. Prefer the AD8512, as its current draw is even lower than the AD823 (!), yet its sonics are still in the same league as the 8610/845/843. All three of those are better, but I'm just saying that the 8512 is worthy of being compared to these other chips. The AD845, by contrast, is a current-sucking pig of a chip.

Jul 19, 2002 at 9:00 PM Post #18 of 20
And since it was revived, to comment on my own thread about voltage regulators ADP3303 dieing at only about 13V, yesterday I analyzed schematics of AD1896 eval board (next huge project) and noticed they use it with 15V, with only a polarity protection diode in between. What the...?! Maybe I'll fire off an email to their engineers to set the record straight.

PhopsonNY, are you upgrading 333ES or whatever model has PCM1738?

And another news about AD8610, yesterday I tried my PDAC and fed the headphone amp with super-regulated 15V from my Sulzer-Borbely. I tried it before but never succeeded, getting no sound, huge sparks and loud buzzing. Last night I teared down the PS only to discover that it has earth connected to ground and that my Marantz receiver has earth on the shield/ground of RCA inputs (?!). That caused big trouble as those two points are not at the same potential in my device. Apparently I haven't cut the legs of one capacitors after soldering it a year ago and it was touching the bottom of the case with the end that happened to be connected to regulator' ground. Anyway, the sound took another leap forward. Even more detail and clarity and it wasn't by a small margin. And I'm not very good at discerning small differences. So, if anyone of you has your META42 and some very good regulator lying around, try it out instead of batteries. You might discover new heights of sound! I'm going to do a comparison to batteries tonight. But for the n-th time, thanks ppl for all your research and sharing it with us. When you say something is good, boy is it EVER good...

Jul 19, 2002 at 10:00 PM Post #19 of 20
Hi aos,
Quote:

...if anyone of you has your META42 and some very good regulator lying around, try it out instead of batteries. You might discover new heights of sound!

I am in total agreement re: psu. I somtimes think not enough attentention is paid to the importance of a good reg. psu. I'm a firm believer that a good reg. psu extracts better performance out of just about any circuit/topology.

Any progress on your regulator board?

Jul 20, 2002 at 7:26 AM Post #20 of 20
Yes, actually I spent yesterday evening entering transformer, filter, choke and fuse footprints into Eagle library. I hate that part but it can't be helped. The unregulated part is easy, that shouldn't take much time. But don't count on anything being finished fast as I have many other things to do. I will certainly finish it as some point as I must have it to complete another project that is otherwise done and cost a great deal of money so I won't let it gather dust for long (Guido Tent's reclocking DAC).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back