AD8610... is mine blown?
Aug 6, 2004 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

thrawn86

100+ Head-Fier
So I had orginally been having problems with my pimeta (using tangents pre mounted opamps), the 8610 kept overheating furiously. interestingly enough, the amp worked perfectly fine when I plugged it in, but I was forced to shut it off after a few seconds, because the chip kept overheating.

I checked and rechecked everything, voltages, connections, etc etc. I finally gave up and got another 8610 from zemo. problem solved. But what was wrong with the first one? (yes, it was oriented right
tongue.gif
)

I'm assuming that if it were somehow blown, that it wouldn't work at all. And besides, what do I do with it now? I guess I'll ask tangent if I can send it back...

Aug 6, 2004 at 1:39 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

I'm assuming that if it were somehow blown, that it wouldn't work at all.

ICs are complex beasts. They've got dozens of transistors and other components in there. There can't be just one failure mode.

Quote:

what do I do with it now?

You could heat up your iron and get the chip off the adapter and reuse it. Lay the iron tip along all four pins on one side for a few seconds, move to the other side quickly and do the same, and it should slide right off. Repeat it a few times or add some new solder if necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back