AD823 failed its last chance
Dec 2, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #16 of 24
Can't be easy to be Italian here
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #17 of 24
I agree with NV and others about the AD823... In my modest CMoy, it sounded extremely "airy," like I'd just had my ears cleaned (maybe with icepicks
wink.gif
). It was the most obviously-different op-amp I've ever heard. My headphones are a little on the bright side, though, so the synergy wasn't good.

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #19 of 24
I don't think so (judging by my quick search on Digi-Key
wink.gif
), unless the AD8230 is somehow related, but that seems unlikely.

What other op-amps have you tried? Consider the LME49710 which is the single version of the popular LM4562, or the OPA228, the single version of the OPA2228. Those were the two most resolving op-amps in my CMoy configuration, with the LM4562 having some extra treble detail, and the OPA2228 having a natural soundstage.

YMMV though, since those are just brief impressions at the moment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think so (judging by my quick search on Digi-Key
wink.gif
), unless the AD8230 is somehow related, but that seems unlikely.

What other op-amps have you tried? Consider the LME49710 which is the single version of the popular LM4562, or the OPA228, the single version of the OPA2228. Those were the two most resolving op-amps in my CMoy configuration, with the LM4562 having some extra treble detail, and the OPA2228 having a natural soundstage.

YMMV though, since those are just brief impressions at the moment.
smily_headphones1.gif

The only thing that seems to throw me away from the 4562 is the semi-slow slew rate.

Been looking at picking up some 2822's they look nice from the specs.
SpeedPlus Dual Wideband, Low-Noise Operational Amplifier - OPA2822 - TI Product Folder

(opa820 single version)

Dec 3, 2007 at 10:22 AM Post #21 of 24
I agree that using OPA2822 doesn't make sense. Due to high bias current it is difficult to get rid of offset on it while as a buffer it's capable of only 90mA per channel.
Regarding OPA2228 - it's very nice but in fact this chip is far from being neutral and transparent. It's soundstage is all in your face. It has got very nice trebles but being in fact always sounding the same which means disputable fiedlity, there is a lot of air in this chip's midrange and the bass is very pleasant. Actually it sounds like nicer OP275.

Guys, could anybody provide a brief comparison between LM4562 and LM6172? I'm considering using them in my CD player.

Dec 3, 2007 at 10:26 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the AD823 have a single variant? Might try it in my PPAV2. I like aggressive opamps.

I used one channel from AD823 as ground. You could always use the other channel with 2 resistors as a voltage divider instead of using a TLE2426 - like in PINT. I did this to be sure of the sound of the 823 without interference from other opamps.

About trying other opamps, the OPA211/2211 looks like a TI alternative to LM4562.

Dec 3, 2007 at 10:33 AM Post #23 of 24
I'm waiting for OPA211 samples. They should arrive today. The specs are very promising. If my tests will result in positive impressions, I'm going to order OPA2211's for my CD player. However, NI has ignored me for ages. I tried to order LM4562 samples two times and each time there was no feedback and no samples. I'll try again limiting the amount as my friend advised me.

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding OPA2228 - it's very nice but in fact this chip is far from being neutral and transparent. It's soundstage is all in your face. It has got very nice trebles but being in fact always sounding the same which means disputable fiedlity, there is a lot of air in this chip's midrange and the bass is very pleasant. Actually it sounds like nicer OP275.

Thanks for the impressions... They help to explain why the OPA2228 sounds good in my setup, since it seems to be counteracting all of the negative aspects.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you haven't already, you should start a website with op-amp reviews, since you've heard a ton of 'em. It would save people a lot of searching.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back