AD797
Jul 18, 2001 at 6:05 AM Post #2 of 5
Z, I got some 797s here somewhere... I got them a few months ago about the time I started working with ppl on the insane portable... never got around to tryin em.

Gimmie a few days, I'll play with em over the weekend and get back to ya...

Anyone? experience with this IC? speak up!

Jul 18, 2001 at 6:30 AM Post #3 of 5
My issue with the AD-797 is the High input Bias currents allowing the DC offset to change quite alot as the Volume control is rotated. This is a Problem with most Bipolar input Opamps. More over the AD-797 as well as other similar OPA's LT-1028, LT-1115 to name just a few are intended for High gain Phono and Mic Preamps rather than Line Level stages. To get rid of this problem an input Coupling Capacitor is required and i for one wount go their.

Jul 21, 2001 at 4:37 PM Post #4 of 5
Ok, the test.

It sounds ok. Very good offsets, with low value Rg/Rfb you don't need to compensate it. It has a decomp pin, and it functions (course something like a hansen has no room for this, nor a shunting cap across Rfb which you'll want)

It does ok driving headphones directly. I'd personally not use it w/o a bufferstage, either discrete or IC.

It's not that engaging of a chip. Kinda a dry sound. Probably accurate, but as an amp... hmm, maybe. I'd want to follow the datasheet and make a specific config for it, not drop it in an existing layout.

It's not for things with high source impedance; 1k is about it. This is for noise specs, it does still work fine with a 10k source.

Hmm... It's a great chip, I'm sure. but as-is, alone and unbuffered, I think I prefer other chips over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back