AD744 and class-A biasing
Apr 16, 2006 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Andrea

Banned - aka HeavySoul - aka inconnu - aka Albert - aka layman - aka joe_average - aka altglos - aka Mr boobi - aka mikesand - aka blindbuy - aka The Well - aka yummy-fi
Hi,

I'm puzzled by this doubt -- might the AD744Ks that I put in my Shellbrook Ascent suffer due to the class-A biasing (which is implemented just like in the Pimeta, with FETs), being their output current so low (20 mA short circuit) ?

Thanks to whom clears my doubt
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2006 at 10:10 AM Post #2 of 9
In other words, is this alright?
confused.gif

vnjv9e.jpg

Apr 16, 2006 at 10:12 AM Post #3 of 9
I'd recommend to use the bypassed output of the AD744 which works already in classA and deactivate the classA biasing of the amp

just use a dip-8 socket, shorten pin-5 (compensation) and pin-6 (output) between the pins, bend up pin-6 of the AD744 (must NOT contact the socket) and plug the AD744 into this adapter. The class-A biasing stage of the amp has to be deactivated !

Apr 16, 2006 at 10:22 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by steinchen
I'd recommend to use the bypassed output of the AD744 which works already in classA and deactivate the classA biasing of the amp

just use a dip-8 socket, shorten pin-5 (compensation) and pin-6 (output) between the pins, bend up pin-6 of the AD744 (must NOT contact the socket) and plug the AD744 into this adapter. The class-A biasing stage of the amp has to be deactivated !

Thanks, that's definitely an option! Of course I'd have to cut the resistors in series with the FETs to deactivate class-A biasing, which requires some pondering first.

But why use a DIP8 socket? I could just cut pin 6 on the op-amps so that it doesn't plug in the amp's sockets, and then jumper it to pin 5 with a little careful soldering. Is it correct?

Anyhow, my doubt remains -- would it be alright to leave things as they are, i.e., will the AD744's normal output (pin 6) support the amp's class-A biasing system correctly? Thanks in advance.

Apr 16, 2006 at 10:46 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Of course I'd have to cut the resistors in series with the FETs to deactivate class-A biasing, which requires some pondering first.

I'd socket the resistor or the jfet with pins from a dip-breakoff-strip, this way you can easily activate/deactivate the biasing

Quote:

But why use a DIP8 socket? I could just cut pin 6 on the op-amps so that it doesn't plug in the amp's sockets, and then jumper it to pin 5 with a little careful soldering. Is it correct?

the adapter method doesn't touch the opamp, you can easily take out the adapter-socket, bend down the pin of the opamp and got the original setup

Quote:

Anyhow, my doubt remains -- would it be alright to leave things as they are, i.e., will the AD744's normal output (pin 6) support the amp's class-A biasing system correctly? Thanks in advance.

Depends on the biasing current. To how many mA is the biasing set ? Is there a way to adjust the biasing ? As long as the biasing is set to a few mA (aprox 2mA) everything should work fine, at high biasing levels the biasing current stresses the opamp too much and affects sound quality

Apr 16, 2006 at 11:22 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

might not be my place to say this, but i don't think you should deactivate the Class A bias. if i'm seeing thing correctly, the amp is buffered. a few miliamps of current taken for Class A bias should still be under the amp safe limit if it's buffered.

Apr 16, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #7 of 9
when using the bypassed output of AD744 (which is already biased with 2mA) you have to deactivate the amp's classA biasing, otherwise you'll get a very high DC offset at the output of the amp

Apr 16, 2006 at 2:27 PM Post #8 of 9
"I'd socket the resistor or the jfet with pins from a dip-breakoff-strip, this way you can easily activate/deactivate the biasing"

You could use a switch to.

Apr 16, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

I'd socket the resistor or the jfet with pins from a dip-breakoff-strip, this way you can easily activate/deactivate the biasing

I don't wanna risk doing any least damage, so I think I'll leave it as it is and just see how I like the sound. If not enough, AD744's will go out and AD843's in.

Quote:

Depends on the biasing current. To how many mA is the biasing set ? Is there a way to adjust the biasing ? As long as the biasing is set to a few mA (aprox 2mA) everything should work fine, at high biasing levels the biasing current stresses the opamp too much and affects sound quality

That's comforting and exactly what I wanted to hear. It seems reasonable to me that the biasing level would be the same for this amp as for the Pimeta, so I guess about 2 mA. I think I'll just put the case together (when I receive the Cardas RCA jacks I'm waiting for) and see how I like the sound...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back