AD700x vs DT990 + SBZ vs Astro A40: Help please.
Oct 2, 2014 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

pastuch

New Head-Fier
I play a ton of BF4 on my pc and I find I can't hear people as well as my clan buddies.

Currently I run hdmi out of my video card (R9 290) into my Pioneer 1019 receiver and use surround sound in games (Energy RC70s, RC-LCR center & RC-R surrounds). My PC runs my home theater so I'm sitting pretty far back from my front speakers. (20 feet)

I would like to buy either Audio Technica AD700x or Beyer Dynamic DT990s for competitive FPS. The AD700x is probably the better choice from what I've read because I will only use these headphones for videogames and positional audio is all I care about.

The only reason I added the DT990s to the discussion is because I can get them for $200 with free shipping (Not the pro model) which is a great deal. The AD700x is $170 with free shipping but isn't discounted as heavily. I'm in Canada.

Questions:
1. If I use my Pioneer 1019 receiver headphone output which is being driven by my video card will I get good positional audio in Battlefield 4?

2. If I buy a Soundblaster Z I will need to use a cable extender for the headphones (of at least 10 feet) because my desk is far from my computer. Will this be a problem? Will it hurt audio clarity in BF4?

3. If I buy an Astro A40 amp I think I could run optical audio cable from my motherboard to the amp (30 feet) which would work nicely regarding cable management. The only issue here would be swapping audio sources in windows? Would I need to select the onboard audio or Astro in windows 8 every time I want to play BF4?

EDIT: I just read I can connect the Astro to USB so that would be my preferred connection over optical audio to the motherboard but all the other questions still stand.

Oct 2, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 5
  I play a ton of BF4 on my pc and I find I can't hear people as well as my clan buddies.
Currently I run HDMI out of my video card (R9 290) into my Pioneer 1019 receiver and use surround sound in games (Energy RC70s, RC-LCR center & RC-R surrounds). My PC runs my home theater so I'm sitting pretty far back from my front speakers. (20 feet)
I would like to buy either Audio Technica AD700x or Beyer Dynamic DT990s for competitive FPS. The AD700x is probably the better choice from what I've read because I will only use these headphones for video games and positional audio is all I care about.
The only reason I added the DT990s to the discussion is because I can get them for $200 with free shipping (Not the pro model) which is a great deal. The AD700x is $170 with free shipping but isn't discounted as heavily. I'm in Canada.
Questions:
1. If I use my Pioneer 1019 receiver headphone output which is being driven by my video card will I get good positional audio in Battlefield 4?
2. If I buy a Sound blaster Z I will need to use a cable extender for the headphones (of at least 10 feet) because my desk is far from my computer. Will this be a problem? Will it hurt audio clarity in BF4?
3. If I buy an Astro A40 amp I think I could run optical audio cable from my motherboard to the amp (30 feet) which would work nicely regarding cable management. The only issue here would be swapping audio sources in windows? Would I need to select the onboard audio or Astro in windows 8 every time I want to play BF4?
EDIT: I just read I can connect the Astro to USB so that would be my preferred connection over optical audio to the motherboard but all the other questions still stand.

Chances are the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K 7-Channel Home Theater Receiver does not come with any real headphone surround sound features.
Low impedance headphones like the 32-Ohm ATH-AD700X would not work well plugged into the Pioneer's high impedance headphone output jack, where as the 250-Ohm DT990 would do nicely.
A Sound Blaster Z sound card in your PC would be better for headphone surround sound and would work better with low impedance headphones.
I would say there are better choices for PC gaming, over the Astro A40s.

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 5

Chances are the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K 7-Channel Home Theater Receiver does not come with any real headphone surround sound features.
Low impedance headphones like the 32-Ohm ATH-AD700X would not work well plugged into the Pioneer's high impedance headphone output jack, where as the 250-Ohm DT990 would do nicely.
A Sound Blaster Z sound card in your PC would be better for headphone surround sound and would work better with low impedance headphones.
I would say there are better choices for PC gaming, over the Astro A40s.

The astro A40 would be just the headphone amp not the actual head phones. If I put a SBZ in my PC will running a headphone extension cable ruin my sound quality?

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #4 of 5

The astro A40 would be just the headphone amp not the actual head phones. If I put a SB-Z in my PC will running a headphone extension cable ruin my sound quality?

Personally I would rather use a SB-Z and an extension cable, then use the Astro A40s.

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #5 of 5
http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/products/subcategory.asp?catID=5&subID=60

These both look very interesting for gamers not sure on availability but they open backed is a rebuild of the AD900.  I am actually considering this for my own gaming needs as my DT 770 are not ideal for gaming IMO.   I will definitely be doing some research on these when I get a bit more time.

EDIT: may break the budget, £200 uk is a bit much for my wallet at this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back