AD700 or Grado SR80?
Sep 8, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #2 of 15
Hello, and welcome to Head-Fi!

We do need more info, like what kind of music you listen to, what kind of environment you'll be in, etc.

Sep 8, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #3 of 15
the AD700 doesnt need a amp to drive, If your in a enviroment where theres people around. Then the AD700 is gonna leak and people will beable to hear what your listening to. I dont know about the grado tho.

Sep 8, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #4 of 15
Yeah grado leaks. It probably leaks more than the ad700, but i've never heard the ad700 so i'm guessing based on my grado exp.

Sep 8, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #5 of 15
Both phones can be sound good without an amp. Even though they will benefit from it most likely.

If you are going to use the headphones mainly for music listening, I would go with Grado 80, especially for rock music.

And, if you plan to use it for gaming and movies as well as music listenng, AD700 would be a good choice.

I've been looking at the entry-level cans myself, and that's what I've gathered from more experienced headfiers.

If you do more reseach on each model, I'm sure you will end up with plenty of information for you to decide which phones are better for your use.

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #6 of 15
I agree with the grado for rock, but saying ad700's are less adequate for music is wrong. Though i've never heard them, I do know that they have a great soundstage which would be great for acoustic, classical, jazz, etc. So they aren't worse for music, they're just better for different genres.

And yes everyone says they pwn games. Haha.

Sep 8, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #7 of 15
The AD700 will make better all rounders than the SR80, playing most types of music well, but really great for classical, acoustic, etc. They would also be great for games and movies and are very comfortable.

The SR80 would be better for rock music and maybe some other contemporary music but not that good for classical music nor would they be good for games and movies. Some people also dont like the Grado sound. They are less comfortable than the AD700 as well. You may find that you like the Grado sound though.

It really depends on what your going to be using them for but the AD700 would be the safer choice in my opinion if you cant listen to the two headphones first.

Sep 8, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #8 of 15
don't buy a cans without soundstage (sr80)

Sep 8, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #9 of 15
We need more info about your preferred music types, listening habits, and environment before making an intelligent recommendation. There may be a can out there that's better suited than either of these.

Sep 8, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #10 of 15
should have included more details. I will be listening to rock or bass heavy music in the privacy of my room so sound leakage will not be a problem. Besides, from what I gather, open cans are more natural sounding the closed off and I'm going for the best feeling ones. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Sep 8, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #11 of 15
The SR80s would be better than the AD700 for your preference then. The AD700 is a bit lean on bass and wont do rock as well as the SR80. They aren't very comfortable though in my opinion. The AD700 on the other hand is the most comfortable headphone Ive ever tried. Another suggestion is the Alessandro MS-1 which is a bit more versatile than the SR80.

Sep 8, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #13 of 15
AD700 doesn't rock.I own it and I like it when I listen to Chill out or some Jazz.But it really lacks bass.So I donn't think you will enjoy AD700 with Rock music. So for me SR80 is probably better in your case

Sep 9, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #15 of 15
Oh, fa sho then! Grado all the way, dude!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back