AD700 comfort (vs HD555)
Feb 17, 2010 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gssjr

New Head-Fier
I've been looking for gaming headphones and a lot of people recommend the AD700s. My roommate has the HD555s and my initial impressions are that they're amazingly comfortable (I haven't made any conclusions about the sound yet. Perhaps I can agree with other peoples statements saying they are a bit 'muddy').

I've heard that the AD700s exhibit a different kind of comfort (from pictures, they seem to have a significantly different design). I was hoping to get more details.

I primarily use headphones for everything, all day, so it's very important that they can be used for 4-6+ hours.

In my past experience I noticed if the headphone padding touches my ears at all, no matter how soft, they will start to hurt me after a while. I haven't worn the HD555s for a long session yet, but my initial impressions are that they are extremely comfortable. I like how the padding doesn't touch my ears at all, instead, cupping against my head, around my ears.

FWIW, my budget is ~$230USD (no more, but less) between a pair of headphones and a soundcard. The AD700s seem attractive to me since they are known for their superior positional audio. I'm going for immersion gaming (I also have a triple monitor setup).

When I'm not gaming, the music I listen to is:
- progressive metal/neoclassical/metalcore
- trance and other electronic music (mostly hardstyle and gabba/gabber).

I don't need the most booming bass, just a defined, full sound.

Thanks.

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 10
I will make two points:

1) The HD555's are ridiculously comfortable, I don't see anyway in which another headphone could improve over it...there have been literally tons of times where I have completely forgot I was wearing mine and started looking for them

2) I've have my HD555's for over 1.5 years now, and I will say that they have NEVER sounded muddy to me all. My have always sounded extremely clear and detailed....

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 10
Both probably won't have enough bass for metal.

But both are also really comfortable.

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 10
Yes...I certainly wouldn't listen to my HD555 with metal or rock for that matter. Just not enough oomph. I suppose you could eq the heck out of them.

Feb 19, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #5 of 10
So I purchased the AD700s.

My initial impressions (< 30mins):

Not so comfortable. My ears get slightly warm/itchy and they press a bit on my earlobes causing some discomfort (extrapolating to 4 hours, I imagine they will end up hurting like a bitch).

I will give a little time to do a 4-6 hour test with both these and my roommate's HD555s.

If they still bother me, I will return them and get something else.

Any other suggestions? Looking to spend <$130 USD. Gaming first, music second (again, that's mostly heavy metal and electronic/trance/hardstyle).

Feb 20, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gssjr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I purchased the AD700s.

My initial impressions (< 30mins):

Not so comfortable. My ears get slightly warm/itchy and they press a bit on my earlobes causing some discomfort (extrapolating to 4 hours, I imagine they will end up hurting like a b****).

I will give a little time to do a 4-6 hour test with both these and my roommate's HD555s.

If they still bother me, I will return them and get something else.

Any other suggestions? Looking to spend <$130 USD. Gaming first, music second (again, that's mostly heavy metal and electronic/trance/hardstyle).

Change B****. And the gaming 'phone under $130 will be hard to find.

Feb 20, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #8 of 10
The HD555 (and I'm assuming, their higher-end sibling, the 595) can't be touched for comfort. You could sit through 2 movies back-to-back and not even realize you were wearing headphones for that long. They also have a very smooth, forgiving, easy going sound that is not fatiguing.

Feb 20, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gssjr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been looking for gaming headphones and a lot of people recommend the AD700s. My roommate has the HD555s and my initial impressions are that they're amazingly comfortable (I haven't made any conclusions about the sound yet. Perhaps I can agree with other peoples statements saying they are a bit 'muddy').

I've heard that the AD700s exhibit a different kind of comfort (from pictures, they seem to have a significantly different design). I was hoping to get more details.

I primarily use headphones for everything, all day, so it's very important that they can be used for 4-6+ hours.

In my past experience I noticed if the headphone padding touches my ears at all, no matter how soft, they will start to hurt me after a while. I haven't worn the HD555s for a long session yet, but my initial impressions are that they are extremely comfortable. I like how the padding doesn't touch my ears at all, instead, cupping against my head, around my ears.

FWIW, my budget is ~$230USD (no more, but less) between a pair of headphones and a soundcard. The AD700s seem attractive to me since they are known for their superior positional audio. I'm going for immersion gaming (I also have a triple monitor setup).

When I'm not gaming, the music I listen to is:
- progressive metal/neoclassical/metalcore
- trance and other electronic music (mostly hardstyle and gabba/gabber).

I don't need the most booming bass, just a defined, full sound.

Thanks.

defined, full sound, and immersive?

i was thinking, not the AD700s, although they are very good, with equally nice large soundstage. bass is a little thin.
if u consider closed 'phones, maybe the a900s, unless your set on open 'phones. comfortable pads as well. just a thought.

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #10 of 10
Reports from Day 2:

welp...they don't seem to bother my ears anymore. However, now that I don't have the ear pain distracting me, I noticed that they are pressing right on the pressure point on the jaw below the earlobes -_- Maybe that will disappear in a few days...

I'm not so sure if I want to go bending the headband just yet. I don't understand why they designed the earcups without tilt...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back