AD500, ad700 and ad900 and their BASS response!!
Mar 17, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by kumaiti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just found the AD900 for $200. I am feeling extremely tempted to get it though it seems kind of weird: google shopping lists it for no less than $250. Has anyone heard about a fake ad900?

A better idea would be to verify the reputation of the website. I recommend:
1) Resellerratings.com
2) mywot.com (good if you can't find it on resellerratings.com or for any site)

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #32 of 40
There are no fake AD900s as far as I know. It probably isn't popular enough to warrant fakes.

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #33 of 40
If you want more bass but a similar sound to the AD series, have a look at the ATH-A700. Closed back, so somewhat reduced soundstage (still good, apparently) but more thump.

Mar 17, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #34 of 40
Let me rant a little bit

I already got used to how unpolite 99% of the store clerks are here in Moscow, but there is something I can't get over no matter how hard I try: their sick, annoying attitude "the customer doesn't know squat" and "I would rather lie than admit I don't know something".

Been to a few audio stores today and in MORE than one, when asked if they had the AD700, the guy replied: "That doesn't exist". And in one of those stores they had the AD300, AD500 and AD900... Doesn't take a lot of brain to at least wonder if there is something "missing".

Only ONE out of about 10 places I've been actually said "we had this a long time ago".

BTW, that AD900 for $200 was a scam. The online store doesn't actually exist, seems to be just a phishing site for email addresses.

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #35 of 40
I'm not surprised the AD900 @200 was a scam, they are normally that price used (or the A900). Bummer on the price, but good for figuring it out.

I'm listening to the bass-iest thing I have: Mastodon's album "Crack the Skye" at just above my "normal listening level." (Track 4 'the Czar" at the moment(if you've read my other posts: this CD was a gift, and not from my usual source, archive.org)).

I would say I can feel the bass. My EQ is flat, and there's not much to be felt, but the drum bit at 1:48 and 2:03 can be felt just a little. I can certainly seem to detect a slight bit of thumpy-movement at this part. I can't really feel the (much quieter) bass guitar though. I can certainly hear it.

Of course this may merely be my brain fooling me. If so, it's a good fooling. Let me pause a bit and relish the feeling. mmm.
---

Lovely. Back on topic, I'd wholeheartedly agree with (just about) everyone else on the AD900-bass topic. The bass is there. You can hear it. I don't think it's too diminished or anemic. It's really great, actually. I'd say it's not as prevalent as compared (or contrasted) to when I put my earbuds(stock cowon) in and press on them. I don't get thumpy bass with the earbuds, but I can detect the bassy-instruments a lot better. I don't like it at all.

By the way, on the AD900, It's much harder to find in the USA. I think Audio Technica sells only some of their models is certain countries (apparantly the place form which I got it has a deal with AT to sell it in the US, I hear they're more common in other countries). So it's no big surprise you can't find the AD700 in (Moscow was it?). I'd check for good shipping/customs deals. I'd be happy to buy one and ship it to you, but I can't imagine it being a good deal.

So if you're into bass you're probably better off with another headphone.

(ooh the very start of track 5: "ghost of karelia" can be felt.)

Mar 17, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #36 of 40
something you might consider, as many ppl on this tread have more or less pointed out, most nice headphones dont deliver skull shaking bass, because that doesnt align with what a quality headphone is expected to do, however, that does not mean they are not capable.

Back in the days where i was trying to recreate the subwoofer effect on my head, i found myself dissapointed with some sennheiser hd555's. Even when i switched to D2000's after i heard they had lots of bass, i still thought they had very little bass compared to what i expected, so i tried out various eq's until i found one that could max out on the low end frequencies without introducing much distortion. Many good quality headphones can make your eyes shake if you are willing to experiment with a good eq. Of course there are trade-offs in this process. Also in general im pretty sure youre better off with a closed can for more rumbly bass

sometimes if people want some good cans, but want that sub woofer experience, they just do both. put your headphones on, and install sub woofer in your system.. then you get the best of both worlds without putting your brain in the bass blender and sacrificing the sound quality of the cans.

Mar 18, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #37 of 40
To the OP:

Don't buy the AD900. As someone said, they're similar to the AD700, just better. But you mentioned you're looking for bass, and the ADs are lacking. Don't get me wrong, they're nice headphones. The mids and highs are great, and they have a nice airy openness to them. But the amount of bass is, well, lacking. They have an unnatural lack of bass. Even with big EQ they just don't get there. Certainly wouldn't be a good movie headphone.

My recommendation is buy a used pair of D2000 from the for sale boards here for a little over $200. These are a far better headphones in every respect, and will come as close to the bass you want while still maintaining excellent other qualities.

Or, if you're feeling lucky and want to save a couple hundred bucks, try some JVC RX700, again used on these boards if you can't find them where you are. Around $30 and 90% of what the D2000 is. Seriously.

I don't think you'll find what you're looking for in an open phone, but I know it's fun to experiment. I would just suggest experimenting in something other than the AD series since you said you like the bass. HD555 is a nice choice. HD565 has beautiful open qualities. I really regret selling those...

Mar 18, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #38 of 40
Only have experience with the AD700's. Huge soundstage but NO bass worth speaking of. If you want bass and good overall sound go ATH M50's......but not great soundstage. However they are very neutral and even. Or for a bit more go HD 595. Never heard the HD 555 but probably good for the money. If you desire bass (which all should who love music)......the AD700 will be severely lacking. Good luck

Mar 18, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #39 of 40
I would definately not go for the hd555's and expect heavy bass. Again, if you crank the eq they're diecent, but even then i would not recommend them for bass.

I do agree with Rex81 that Denon 2000's are a huuuuuge upgrade from the 555's and definately have better bass. I own them now after selling my 555's The difference was phenomenal in every way. The two really cant be compared, especially since they are in a different price bracket.

FWIW now is a good time to buy the d2000's the price is down.

Mar 18, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #40 of 40
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I am not really sure I need subwoofer-like bass. It is just the sound I am used to right now and I don't have experience with other kinds of headphones.

The only higher-grade headphones I had a chance to try were an old AKG240 studio and a AKG271 studio. And while both had good sound, I found them extremely unconfortable and their sound insulation was "opressive" to my ears.
What surprised me when trying them with the Essence ST is that I couldn't find a noticeable difference between them and my Creative hq1500.

That is why I am not very seriously considering to buy anything expensive on the bass side. The M50 costs about the same as AD900 and the D2000 is even more than that.

What I am currently planning to do (though I change plans quite often) is to get the AD500, which is available and reasonably priced, to try out a "bass light" headphone and later get the JVC 700 or 900. Once I have more experience with these 2 and a better idea of what kind of headphone I really like, then I will feel comfortable to spend $300, $400 on a headphone.

Though there is a Beyer 880/250ohm available for a nice price that is extremely tempting...

And no, the stores here don't accept returns. The laws here, as one online store cites, is that headphones count as "personal hygiene" products (like underpants, for example) and thus the store is not obliged to take returns.

Which doesn't forbid any store to actually TAKE returns, but they don't have that "consumer friendly" attitude yet. Might not have ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back