AD2000 recable: suggestions?
Jul 14, 2007 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

NoPants

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm considering getting my audio technicas redone by alex of apuresound and I was pondering the following options and their usefulness...es:

1) length: 3.0m stock seems like a bit of overkill for me. What would people consider to be a practical length for cables? I use this primarily at my desktop since my computer is my source.

2) impedance: I'm under the impression that most headphone amps seem to have trouble delivering ample amounts of current, and my gcha is no exception, would changing the impedance alleviate this? If so, what's a good value to tack on? This is easily implemented (I hope) in the recable.

3) Balanced: I have yet to pruchase a balanced amp, what is the price point for these components should I want to try them out? I thought there was talk about how they're used in long microphone cables to reduce noise and interference, but is this offset by the lower noise floor due to the impedance adapter?

Thoughts, suggestions, pictures of awesome are welcome. Thanks!

Jul 15, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 3
1. Whatever length that you need. I'd personally try not to go less than 1.5m though, unless it will be used in a portable environment (in which case the short length will be all the easier to manage).

2. I don't personally believe in changing or playing around with impedance values. Leave resistors out of the recable.

Unless, you are thinking that a recable will drastically alter the overall impedance of the phone, in which case it's not true. Any variances in cable impedance (between stock and 'upgraded' cables) will be relatively tiny against the impedance of the headphone drivers themselves.

3. The advantage of going balanced is the theoretically increased power delivery and slew rate. Any advantage in noise rejection will only apply to the ancillary components (that I can safely assume will be using balanced/XLR interconnects). However, if you are thinking of using XLR-recabled headphone single-ended (with the use of a XLR-to-SE adapter), the noise rejection advantage of a balanced setup will not apply here.

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoPants /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm considering getting my audio technicas redone by alex of apuresound and I was pondering the following options and their usefulness...es:

1) length: 3.0m stock seems like a bit of overkill for me. What would people consider to be a practical length for cables? I use this primarily at my desktop since my computer is my source.

2) impedance: I'm under the impression that most headphone amps seem to have trouble delivering ample amounts of current, and my gcha is no exception, would changing the impedance alleviate this? If so, what's a good value to tack on? This is easily implemented (I hope) in the recable.

3) Balanced: I have yet to pruchase a balanced amp, what is the price point for these components should I want to try them out? I thought there was talk about how they're used in long microphone cables to reduce noise and interference, but is this offset by the lower noise floor due to the impedance adapter?

Thoughts, suggestions, pictures of awesome are welcome. Thanks!

Jul 15, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #3 of 3
It's not recommend for you to change the cable and the sound feature will change and probably lose the original character.( also the cable is 6N OFC which is gd in quality). In stead, pay more on the other stuffs and should not focus on the cable.
3000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back