AD1000 with 7N-OFC Cable = AD2000 or better??
Aug 29, 2008 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Wilashort

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone, i want from all of you, your opinion about the next...:*
I was thinking yesterday (to this date) in the night, when i see the specifications about both headphones (one more time, because of my big interest to get the AD2000), and then i ask to myself: <What happen if i bought the AD1000 and i use the cable that i bought a weeks ago. I could to obtain "the same" or a better headphone than the AD2000,... then i will save a lot of money....>
*If i recable an AD1000 with an 7N-OFC Cable (that i have)...Then i could get the same or an better headphone to the AD2000??. Because it (AD1000) have the same drivers (7N-OFC voice coil bobbin) than his big brother, but it have an inferior cable and one side. but even, the cable in the AD2000 is an 6N-OFC....
I ask to the expert people.... What do you think at respect....??
Thank you very much in advance for all your answers

Aug 30, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 25
Isn't that i don't like the AD2000, is the money (i can't afford it until three months). Besides, the AD1000 seems to be the same drivers and enclosure and cost almost half (i could afford it soon).
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't tried AD1000, but speaking of AD2000,

if I were you, I would get AD2000. If you don't like it, you can resell it easily. ^^

Man, if you see both headphones. Both have the same enclosure & drivers. But the cable in the AD2000 is different (double side) and better. Then it if makes difference....
Ah, the name could be that....
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinus1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you believe in cable sound, your imagination will raise your 'phone to an AD3000 after your mod! Believe!!!

Aug 30, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #6 of 25
Given that I don't really think anyone has done any where near detailed comparisons between the AD2000 and the AD1000 I suggest you do that first, if you really want to answer your question.

Aug 30, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 25
Yeah, i had thought in that to the point of buy them, but there is always the posibility that someone has made the comparissons.... Hope that appear soon that person....
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given that I do';t really think anyone has done any where near detailed comparisons between the AD2000 and the AD1000 I suggest you do that first, if you really want to answer your question.

Aug 30, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 25
If anyone has the 1000 and the 2000 and were going to compare, the odds are that they would prefer the 2000 because the investment was so much higher!!

I have the 1000 and although it isn't one of my favourites, it does have a clarity that is absolutely amazing. I have a problem with its treble response which for me is harsh and 'clattery' but on some recordings, they can sound amazing.

I saw a reference somewhere stating that they sound as though they were built for Japanese instruments. (ie plucked strings) ...... they do that well.

The treble sounds slightly harsher than Grado SR60 to me which is pretty grating on a poor recording. Distortion positively hurts and it's amazing how many recordings the 1000's have picked out which are (sort of) 'acceptable' on other headphones.

I have had them for 6 months and decided to live with them for a while to see if they would clam down. I prefer the 700 response since it is more forgiving.

I'm still not sure about the 1000's but they are certainly a revealing listen. I bet that the 2000 in reality isn't amazingly better.

ie, I bet it's very subtle, which for a Headfier is huge.
wink_face.gif

Ian

Aug 30, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #9 of 25
<talk of the devil> ...you are the person that i was finding.... And yes, i agree with you. Is because the last cost higher (as is usual in this site...) that it have commonly more acceptance/popularity {although the differences are subtle/small (not specially in this case but might) [for example Denon AH-D2000 vs Denon AH-D5000 (-> Only the cable is the slight diference in reality (The wood, a simple luxury))]}, the same occurs with amps, cables, etc....
If you want to sell them, i could buy them...
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone has the 1000 and the 2000 and were going to compare, the odds are that they would prefer the 2000 because the investment was so much higher!!

I have the 1000 and although it isn't one of my favourites, it does have a clarity that is absolutely amazing. I have a problem with its treble response which for me is harsh and 'clattery' but on some recordings, they can sound amazing.

I saw a reference somewhere stating that they sound as though they were built for Japanese instruments. (ie plucked strings) ...... they do that well.

The treble sounds slightly harsher than Grado SR60 to me which is pretty grating on a poor recording. Distortion positively hurts and it's amazing how many recordings the 1000's have picked out which are (sort of) 'acceptable' on other headphones.

I have had them for 6 months and decided to live with them for a while to see if they would clam down.

I'm still not sure about them but they are certainly a revealing listen. I bet that the 2000 in reality isn't amazingly better.

wink_face.gif

Ian

Aug 30, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #10 of 25
@wilashort
have you read this post: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/7-p...2/#post3070925 ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have had them for 6 months and decided to live with them for a while to see if they would clam down. I prefer the 700 response since it is more forgiving.

I'm still not sure about the 1000's but they are certainly a revealing listen. I bet that the 2000 in reality isn't amazingly better.

wink_face.gif

Ian

To my ears, the treble quantity of the AD2000 is very dependant on the distance to the driver. When I had them stock, that is, no padmod, the treble was recessed and very smooth.

I now use the padmod (small tube insertet) because it brings out the treble.

Driver closer to ear = less treble
Driver further from ear = more treble

When stock, I feel that the sound is very smooth and almost a bit muffled with the recessed treble. With the mod, the sound is crystal clear with a more neutral tone, which also sound more natural to me, but the tradeoff is a less smooth sound than stock.

EDIT:
Even with the mod, I would not call the treble of AD2000 overly harsh. It has still much less treble than DT880/DT990. More similar to HD600.

Aug 30, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #11 of 25
Hi Henmyr
I think so, but i going to read it again....
In other hand, i understand your point. But it will not a issue to me* (if i already had the Ad2000) *(the treble issue), because i can use the crystalizer if it was necessary, but how i listen to music at very loud volume, the treble would be more comfortable, although the mids, umm...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@wilashort
have you read this post: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/7-p...2/#post3070925 ?

To my ears, the treble quantity of the AD2000 is very dependant on the distance to the driver. When I had them stock, that is, no padmod, the treble was recessed and very smooth.

I now use the padmod (small tube insertet) because it brings out the treble.

Driver closer to ear = less treble
Driver further from ear = more treble

When stock, I feel that the sound is very smooth and almost a bit muffled with the recessed treble. With the mod, the sound is crystal clear with a more neutral tone, which also sound more natural to me, but the tradeoff is a less smooth sound than stock.

EDIT:
Even with the mod, I would not call the treble of AD2000 overly harsh. It has still much less treble than DT880/DT990. More similar to HD600.

Aug 31, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #12 of 25
I agree with Henmyr. Getting the distance from your ears to the drivers just right makes an entire world of difference, night and day if you will. Playing around with various sizes of tubing for the PhatPad mod will help.

From all the opinions i've heard about the AD1000 it was almost unanimous that they were best "skipped over". Not that i really checked, but i'm guessing most hadn't even heard them before (like myself
icon10.gif
).

Just to even things out a bit Headphonic has them listed in their top-picks fwiw. So they must be worthy to their price to some extent.
Some more praise/comments here..

Aug 31, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #13 of 25
Yes, but none of them (those that tested first them) considered the idea of a recable (and with a cable that is better that the stock AD2000 for example), knowing that the drivers/enclosure, are the same....
Only and because for some it sounded "bad", then all approved what the firsts said, and the fame was created.... But without taking into account, the previous....
Quote:

Originally Posted by LocrEpinS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From all the opinions i've heard about the AD1000 it was almost unanimous that they were best "skipped over". Not that i really checked, but i'm guessing most hadn't even heard them before (like myself
icon10.gif
).

Just to even things out a bit Headphonic has them listed in their top-picks fwiw. So they must be worthy to their price to some extent.
Some more praise/comments here..

Aug 31, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #14 of 25
Very true. Even though i skipped over because of such comments i had always believed it couldn't be that bad, and that the cascading agreement of it being such was unfounded to a certain extent.
This has almost certainly caused poor sales of the AD1000s and subsequently lowered the likelihood of someone actually re-cabling it.

There are people who like AD2000s and those who don't because of various reasons.
The same can be said of AD1000s; some enjoy them, while others not so much.
But honestly, my words should probably taken as a grain of salt considering i've not ever heard the AD1000 or even the AD900 for that matter.

I would be quite interested in your unbiased opinions on the stock AD1000s compared to a re-cabled version if you decide to go down that path
wink.gif

Aug 31, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #15 of 25
Clear, in other hand. I'm really looking forward to buy them (in almost a month) and recabled them. I am (almost) completelly sure (now and before (judging for some pics that i find of the drivers (exposed) of both headphones, they are the same....)), that they can sound better (maybe with a little fuller sound (because of the new cable), well who knows....) that the stock AD2000.
Quote:

Originally Posted by LocrEpinS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very true. Even though i skipped over because of such comments i had always believed it couldn't be that bad, and that the cascading agreement of it being such was unfounded to a certain extent.
This has almost certainly caused poor sales of the AD1000s and subsequently lowered the likelihood of someone actually re-cabling it.

There are people who like AD2000s and those who don't because of various reasons.
The same can be said of AD1000s; some enjoy them, while others not so much.
But honestly, my words should probably taken as a grain of salt considering i've not ever heard the AD1000 or even the AD900 for that matter.

I would be quite interested in your unbiased opinions on the stock AD1000s compared to a re-cabled version if you decide to go down that path
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back