Ad banner idea - Jude
Mar 12, 2003 at 4:00 AM Post #91 of 125
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
no one said anything about side banners....

[/size]I did, Ray. That's the first format we're going to try. In talking to some possible advertisers and friends in other businesses who regularly buy web advertising, I'm finding that prospective advertisers do not like the old-fashioned top banners -- they have a lower-than-low response rate, because after so many years as the standard format, people tend to generally tune them out. So we'll go with side ads first, and see how that goes.

Mar 12, 2003 at 4:04 AM Post #92 of 125
ok, I just got myself (given rather) a 17" TFT, so running 1280 x 1024. So more room and running Dual Monitor, side banner or not, it won't make much difference.
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2003 at 5:00 AM Post #95 of 125
Quote:

Originally posted by nArKeD
A banner in the top right under all the buttons such as "register, usercp, calender etc...) would be far less intrusive. I find the scheme such as on www.genmay.com to be the least intrusive but still noticeable.

As I stated in one of my previous posts about the format we're going to start with: Quote:

In talking to some possible advertisers and friends in other businesses who regularly buy web advertising, I'm finding that prospective advertisers do not like the old-fashioned top banners -- they have a lower-than-low response rate, because after so many years as the standard format, people tend to generally tune them out. So we'll go with side ads first, and see how that goes.

Mar 12, 2003 at 6:04 AM Post #96 of 125
I am one of those who does not check on the main page of Head-Fi. I start with the forums page and go from there. I buy several hundred books from Amazon each year, and have a whole bunch to buy in the next few months. Now that I know that head-fi can get a cut of that, I will gladly use the link to provide some support for things like this thru Amazon. I also spend as much money ordering things thru the people who support this site, like Jan Meier and HeadRoom.

I voted to NOT have banner ads, but would like to publicly change my vote over to I'm for it. I don't like the idea of paying to use the site, this will cause me to leave forever if I had to pay to use the internet and the site, but I am willing to make purchases thru places that support the site. I hate banner ads and pop-up ads, but the thought of having to pay for, much less lose head-fi, is a worse proposition. What little money I do have to spend, if it can be used toward helping this site, then I will spend it for the support of this site.

Mar 12, 2003 at 6:13 AM Post #97 of 125
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
Here's an example screenshot from the Test Forum:

Heh.. honestly.. I don't think that looks half bad..
biggrin.gif

I guess we'll see how everything works when everything is laid out..
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2003 at 6:56 AM Post #99 of 125
I think ads are fine, but do we really have enough users to make them profitable? I thought you would need many thousands to do so, but I know nothing, so you tell me.
Personally, I liked smokey's idea. I think that a donation-based auction would be a great idea. There are a lot of members here who have older equipment that is still servicible (and in some cases very good), and at the same time there are a bunch of noobs who don't have any good equipment, or people who cannot afford expensive new equipment. It would be pure profit for the site. You could make it a part of the buy/sell/trade forum too if you like. Just add a link "donate". The buyer just pays the site instead of the seller (other than shipping perhaps). I have an old amp and preamp that I could put up there...

Mar 12, 2003 at 7:03 AM Post #100 of 125
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
I think ads are fine, but do we really have enough users to make them profitable? I thought you would need many thousands to do so, but I know nothing, so you tell me.
Personally, I liked smokey's idea. I think that a donation-based auction would be a great idea. There are a lot of members here who have older equipment that is still servicible (and in some cases very good), and at the same time there are a bunch of noobs who don't have any good equipment, or people who cannot afford expensive new equipment. It would be pure profit for the site. You could make it a part of the buy/sell/trade forum too if you like. Just add a link "donate". The buyer just pays the site instead of the seller (other than shipping perhaps). I have an old amp and preamp that I could put up there...

stuartr, to answer your first question: yes, I'm quite sure we do. In terms of overall performance (unique visitors and total page impressions being the primary measuring sticks), Head-Fi has become one of the highest ranking audio-specific sites on the web. Our unique visitor count, though not the highest on the web for audio-specific web sites, is still high, and it's highly targeted. And the page impression activity makes up for a lot of that, and actually might make it even more valuable given the market makeup of the audience here, and the type of site that this is.

To address the idea of auctions: I see auctions as a good thing if an emergency fund drive is needed to, say, buy more hardware in the event that the ad revenue wasn't able to cover what was needed. I can't see donated gear coming in to be auctioned off with the frequency and amount needed to reliably and regularly pay the bills in the long run.

Mar 12, 2003 at 7:41 AM Post #101 of 125
Glad to hear that the ad base is so healthy. I don't think that they will bother anyone after they get used to it. For example, I have my favorites bar eating up real estate to the left of my screen, but I hardly notice it anymore unless I am using it. The test screen looks good, and I like to support head-fi sponsors anyway, so if there is an ad and I needed a place to buy, I would click through them first...
As for the donations, I think you are right, it would be difficult to sustain unless we include Hirsch and joelongwood...they should be good for a few grand each / month, right?

Mar 12, 2003 at 7:51 AM Post #102 of 125
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Glad to hear that the ad base is so healthy....

[/size]I don't know for sure that it is, but I feel pretty confident about it.[size=xx-small] Quote:

....it would be difficult to sustain unless we include Hirsch and joelongwood...they should be good for a few grand each / month, right?

[/size]LOL......that's Plan D.
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2003 at 8:11 AM Post #103 of 125
If it keeps the site running as well as it has been, i'm all for it. I don't mind an ad banner... actually it's a nice welcome to see which ad will show up this time, :p

Hopefully the extra income for the site will spark new reviews... hint hint

Mar 12, 2003 at 8:20 AM Post #104 of 125
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by AIM9x
....Hopefully the extra income for the site will spark new reviews... hint hint

[/size]I sent an excerpt from my next review (Bel Canto / MSB) to eric343 earlier, because he was (a) curious about DACs, and (b) curious about my review(s). I really am working on 'em, albeit slowly, admittedly. My apologies to everyone on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back