AD-700
Aug 9, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #16 of 21
I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove my ad700's. They are a little too weak on the bass though, if you pair it with a nice amp that has bass boost(Like the fiio e10) it's perfect :D They're are so comfortable as long as your head isn't small. If you game for long periods, get these, they're super comfy. They have a nice soundstage too. Pinpointing footsteeps is easy.

If bass is important, tryout some bass boost before you try another set of cans. I didn't even realize that my ad700's had weak bass until I tried it with my e10. But when I did notice it, it was like a whole new dimension opened up XD

Aug 9, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #17 of 21
wow, great advice! I appreciate all sides of the argument. It sounds like as long as I dont buy these for rocking out to my techno or professional Counter-strike, and instead for immersive, long, comfy game sessions, I should be in good shape. Movies=my tv. Music= my 5.1 system, and gaming=these headphones. Hopefully it works out, :)   Back to my original post, how do you guys think these headphones will pair with that soundcard? What do you think I will notice switching to this from my current system? Any first time set-up tuning that I should do?

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:
wow, great advice! I appreciate all sides of the argument. It sounds like as long as I dont buy these for rocking out to my techno or professional Counter-strike, and instead for immersive, long, comfy game sessions, I should be in good shape. Movies=my tv. Music= my 5.1 system, and gaming=these headphones. Hopefully it works out, :)   Back to my original post, how do you guys think these headphones will pair with that soundcard? What do you think I will notice switching to this from my current system? Any first time set-up tuning that I should do?

Exactly! I think they're ideal for long immersive gaming or movie watching.   I have PXC-450, MDR-7506, HD650, K702,  HE-400, D5000, and shortly HE-6 for my summit rig.  AD700 is still my first choice for immersive gaming or movie watching. 

I wouldn't worry much about the soundcard or amp requirements.  That's one of the selling points, they don't need a lot of power for the AD700.  If you want a bass boost or EQ, you can do that in software for the soundcard I'm sure.  I often run them out of handhelds.  The volume needs to be cranked near top, but it handles them just fine. They aren't orthos
wink.gif

Aug 10, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:
Sure, if you keep your neck perfectly still. I was always battling the damn thing to keep from sliding around. That and the drivers would shock me... they weren't good for static prone people.

They where kinda lose at first but I took the steel wires on top and bent them together inorder to increase the clamp force initially it was kinda tight when I did at first but after some use it losened up to just the right size for my head still can't do serious headbanging with them but they stay or much more securely during normal use.

Aug 10, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #20 of 21
And as for the AD700 its the most comfortable pair of headphones for long term use I have tried I can easily use it for several hours even with glasses with no discomfort.  I like its sound the most headphones out of those I've tried(MDR V6 and modded HD 428)  Its got a a nice open sound with a large wide sound stage and decent imaging and instrument seperation(although could be better in that regard when things get to complex sounds a bit congested).  Its got good quality very much present mids and airy highs that have just the right amount of sparkle to them without being to piercing or to laid back and overall is a pretty detailed headphone but the bass is really lacking.  EQ helped alot brought the bass to closer to neutral with good volume down to 50Hz it of course it depends on the quality of your EQ how good the improvement will be but personally I prefer the EQ AD700 over stock sound for every genre of music and games/movies.

5o9oxx.jpg

Aug 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #21 of 21
I've had my AD700's for about two years, and have been pretty satisfied with them. The only reason I bought my second pair of cans (SRH440) was for office/LAN usage, while the AD700 holds down the fort back home. The comfort is quite nice, though I do find they get a bit sweaty during the summer months, but I would get that from any headphone honestly.

I do agree, the bass is a bit lacking especially compared to some decent closed headphones in the same price range, but I find the extra soundstage you get makes for quite a fun listening experience for certain genres of music. For electronic music, I guess it would be a bit lacking, but I usually only listen to prog rock, various kinds of metal, J pop and jazz, and they suite me just dandy.                                       

For gaming of course, they are quite nice especially if the game has good audio design. I find the lack of bass is good for games because the added midrange and highs clarity makes picking out directional audio much easier.

The lack of clamping is a bit of an issue, but I have not really had that affect me during my gaming sessions, since the only movement I do is usually adjusting my posture once in awhile. I did have an issue with one of the wings becoming loose over time, but I just shot off an email to Audio Technica's customer support and they mailed me a new wing at no charge. I was very happy about that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back