Actual review of Beats by Dre
Nov 16, 2011 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

slaw slaw

100+ Head-Fier
I haven't been here for long, but I can tell that alot of people here don't like Beats by Dre.
Today, I had a proper listen to them, like they should be, without an amp, DAC or lossless music and not off the test rack in my local Target.

All headphones were borrowed from a friend, they have been 'Burnt in' after months of regular use.

Beats Studio:
To start off, they feel light, look great (If that's what you're into) and are instantly recognizable in public.  They arecomfortable and cancel sound better than any other headphone I've heard.

I listened straight from an iPod, just like how there supposed to be used.  They have an amp built in and, when turned on but not in use, make a faint hissing sound.  The bass is very powerful (just a bit too much for my liking) and drowns out the mids a fair bit, the treble is almost non-existant on most songs I tried.  Bear in mind that the music used was Led Zeppelin and Iron Maiden, these are made for Hip-Hop and Dance.  After swapping iPods, I found these to not be bad headphones at all for heavy dance music, where bass is prominent (the clamp isn't overly tight so I don't know of any dancing that could be done with these on).  If these were $150 cheaper, these would be the goto dance headphones.

Pro: very comfortable, good looking, light, noise cancelling
Con: Very expensive, feels flimsy, over powering bass, only good for a few genres. 

Beats Pro:
These headphones are everything good about the Studios, plus more.  For starters, they are made of a nice feeling aluminium so they no longer feel as though there going to break at any moment, they provide a good seal and don't require batteries.  I think these headphones are bought more for a status symbol than for someone with alot of money, speaking of which, these are $550!  They come in a nice box, have a sexy red cable, and have a second jack so that another pair of headphones (presumably beats) can be connected to listen to the same iPod.

Pro: comfortable, good looking, nice metal, recognizable
Con: $550!, same bass problem

All in all, these are good headphones, they're just incredibly overpriced and over hyped as 'the best headphones ever'.

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #2 of 21
Are they popular up north in Queensland with the kids?

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #4 of 21
You see them around the more affluent suburbs down here in Melbourne

Not sure if anyone would be game enough to walk the streets of Broadmeadows
or Dandenong with a pair.

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #5 of 21

Quote:

I see a pair of Beats every time I go out. Mostly Solos. Good headphones or not, the marketing team is definitely doing a good job.

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #6 of 21
They are pretty popular up here in QLD. I see them mostly in intercity trains and shopping centres.

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #7 of 21

Quote:

Not really, but teens in Melbourne prefer to use Beats IEMs instead of the Studios/Pros. A lot of my pals went back to iBuds after using Beats. 
tongue.gif

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #8 of 21

Quote:
I haven't been here for long, but I can tell that alot of people here don't like Beats by Dre.
Today, I had a proper listen to them, like they should be, without an amp, DAC or lossless music and not off the test rack in my local Target.

All headphones were borrowed from a friend, they have been 'Burnt in' after months of regular use.

Beats Studio:
To start off, they feel light, look great (If that's what you're into) and are instantly recognizable in public.  They arecomfortable and cancel sound better than any other headphone I've heard.

I listened straight from an iPod, just like how there supposed to be used.  They have an amp built in and, when turned on but not in use, make a faint hissing sound.  The bass is very powerful (just a bit too much for my liking) and drowns out the mids a fair bit, the treble is almost non-existant on most songs I tried.  Bear in mind that the music used was Led Zeppelin and Iron Maiden, these are made for Hip-Hop and Dance.  After swapping iPods, I found these to not be bad headphones at all for heavy dance music, where bass is prominent (the clamp isn't overly tight so I don't know of any dancing that could be done with these on).  If these were $150 cheaper, these would be the goto dance headphones.

Pro: very comfortable, good looking, light, noise cancelling
Con: Very expensive, feels flimsy, over powering bass, only good for a few genres. 

Beats Pro:
These headphones are everything good about the Studios, plus more.  For starters, they are made of a nice feeling aluminium so they no longer feel as though there going to break at any moment, they provide a good seal and don't require batteries.  I think these headphones are bought more for a status symbol than for someone with alot of money, speaking of which, these are $550!  They come in a nice box, have a sexy red cable, and have a second jack so that another pair of headphones (presumably beats) can be connected to listen to the same iPod.

Pro: comfortable, good looking, nice metal, recognizable
Con: $550!, same bass problem

All in all, these are good headphones, they're just incredibly overpriced and over hyped as 'the best headphones ever'.

All that write up to come to the conclusion we all have come to.

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #9 of 21

Most popular full sized cans I see on the train (in rough specific order)

Senn HD201
Senn HD202
Shure 440
Sony XB500
Beats Studio

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #10 of 21
I love how everyone posting in this thread is from Australia. I love staying up late. It's 3am here in western Canada.

I enjoyed reading your review but i feel that even $150 cheaper is still to little of a decrease. If the studios are sold for $350 the with your mark down that would be $200. I can't see them being worth more then $120 at most.

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
SRH440 and XB500 ? Thats odd, are they available in major retailers or something ? 
blink.gif

I don't know about australia but in canada the srh440 is available at best buy for $99.

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
SRH440 and XB500 ? Thats odd, are they available in major retailers or something ? 
blink.gif

The Shure 440's are available from Allen's Music and a few other music supplies stores.

They could be online purchases too, did shock me though the first time I saw someone with
a pair.

As for the XB500 ~ any Sony store like the one in the city and I believe Myer has them.

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #14 of 21

Quote:

Most popular full sized cans I see on the train (in rough specific order)

Senn HD201
Senn HD202
Shure 440
Sony XB500
Beats Studio

My order would be:

Senn HD201/HD202
Urbanears
Beats Studio/Solo
XB500/700

Lucky you can come across headphones like Shure 440's down in Melbourne.

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #15 of 21
80% of that review is spent on looks, comfort, ability to be recognized, and maybe 2 sentences was on sound. I honestly didn't get the impression that they were decent from that review and I was quite looking forwards to that when the thread title was "Actual review of Beats by Dre."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back