Active vs. Passive speakers
Nov 24, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by john11f /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i will be sticking to the benchmark/dynaudios for now. i did intend to include a good subwoofer and was looking at the BM9S. i just bought decent cables and that improved sound substantially. also, i'm slowly migrating my music collection from mp3 to lossless. going back to the original topic, improvement is the operative word.

John, I have almost the same system, BM5A's to DAC-1 PRE using Mogami Gold XLR's. I would not recommend the Dynaudio subs. Their speakers are great, but the subs are not great by any means and are very overpriced at what they sell for. You can do much better for less money.

Nov 25, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John, I have almost the same system, BM5A's to DAC-1 PRE using Mogami Gold XLR's. I would not recommend the Dynaudio subs. Their speakers are great, but the subs are not great by any means and are very overpriced at what they sell for. You can do much better for less money.

Thanks good that I haven't pulled the trigger. Where I'm from you can't audition them.

Any other recommendations for a good sub?

Nov 25, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #33 of 42
I think active speakers have great potential.

They do come witht their own quirks and as noted here, the amplifier matching makes a huge difference.

I humbly submit here my first ever DIY audio project which is about 5 years old now since conception.
dsc00929fc.jpg

The active crossovers were inbuilt into the amplifier casing. 3 way 24dB/octave Linkwitz Riley crossovers, a ported woofer enclosure with the mids and the tweeter in their own separate closed enclosure within the woofer enclosure.

I must say it exceeded my expectations and when I do goback to speakers and I will active is the only way for me unless i can get myself hooked up with a pair of Apogee Divas
very_evil_smiley.gif

The chipamps powering the woofers are inadequate, ideally i would've wanted N-channel mosfet amp powering the woofers..perhaps a tube hybrid for the mids and lows...yes that would do very fine
biggrin.gif

amptv.jpg

Nov 25, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #35 of 42
I'm debating active vs. passive as well for a PC setup. How much does listener position wrt distance from speakers factor into this decision? It seems that many active monitors are designed for nearfield listening, whereas passives may not be.

Nov 25, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by john11f /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks good that I haven't pulled the trigger. Where I'm from you can't audition them.

Any other recommendations for a good sub?

What is your budget for a sub, and what size room will it be in?

Nov 25, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phelonious Ponk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Putting tubes into an active design seems like putting soft tires on a Ferrari, but to each his own.

P

umm you do know that soft tires give the fastest lap times
tongue.gif

and bear in mind i said hybrid..they are a completely different breed.

Nov 25, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
umm you do know that soft tires give the fastest lap times
tongue.gif

and bear in mind i said hybrid..they are a completely different breed.

Sorry, I was imprecise. I should have said "under-inflated."

P

Nov 26, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phelonious Ponk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Putting tubes into an active design seems like putting soft tires on a Ferrari, but to each his own.

P

Most Tubes are microphonic & should not be used inside active speakers. There is also the heat issue.

Nov 26, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most Tubes are microphonic & should not be used inside active speakers. There is also the heat issue.

Active doesn't mean the amps are in the speaker boxes. That sure is an efficient, logical choice, but it's not necessary.

P

Nov 26, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #41 of 42
Here's an example of a an active speaker that has the amps outside of the speaker cabinet: Salk Veracity HT3a Active
It requires six channels of amplification that you can supply. Could be tubes if that's your thing.

I do like the idea of active speakers for technical reasons. Would be nice to see more choices for home audio speakers that are active. There are home and audiophile oriented active setups, but the choices are far fewer than there is for passive setups.

Nov 26, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #42 of 42
It is true that most actives are professionally oriented. But I just got a couple of Focal twin 6Be:
1069.jpg

I have them connected to a denon avr3310 receiver and WOW!. Do those sound good!. Very detailed, but with a tight bass, great for music or movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back