Active Speakers/Monitors: Dispelling the ignorance, confusion and myths
May 25, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #91 of 141
Huh?
Then where's the engine?

This is an outrage!
Someone should do something about this!
Why do they call it Audioengine if there is no engine!
Call the proper authorities immediately!
Doesn't anyone look under the hood before they buy this stuff?
confused_face_2.gif

I am so mad right now!
angry_face.gif

May 25, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #92 of 141
Quote:
Just a point of clarification for the thread.  The Audioengine range of speakers are not active.

I believe you mean the Audioengine range of speakers are not this TYPE of active speaker. Since in the simplest form an active speaker is any speaker with the amplifier built in.

What you are talking about is an active crossover Bi-amp/Tri-amp system without a passive crossover in the speaker. The only real reason why you mostly see this type of system used in active monitors is it becomes too complex for the average user to use. The benefits you have brought up are the same if it is one unit or multiple units.

In live sound systems you do see active crossover Bi-amp/Tri-amp systems a lot because the engineers generally know what they are doing and because of the benefits you have stated.

May 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #93 of 141
Quote:

I believe you mean the Audioengine range of speakers are not this TYPE of active speaker. Since in the simplest form an active speaker is any speaker with the amplifier built in.

I thought they were called powered.  Like most words though, the meaning gets changed over time.

I don't think it matters all that much as long as people understand what they are actually buying.

May 25, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #94 of 141
Quote:

I don't think it matters all that much as long as people understand what they are actually buying.

Are they?

I started this thread to dispel the ignorance the prevails over speaker/monitor system designs.  Ninety posts into this thread, and people still confuse powered with active.  No, I don't think very many "people understand what they are actually buying".

May 25, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #95 of 141
Are they?

I started this thread to dispel the ignorance the prevails over speaker/monitor system designs.  Ninety posts into this thread, and people still confuse powered with active.  No, I don't think very many "people understand what they are actually buying".

Despite all my jokes and stuff, personally I am very sympathetic to the layman and newbie.
Understanding this active/ powered/ passive speaker stuff ain't easy.:xf_eek:

May 26, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #97 of 141
Hmmm just to ask, can the layman enjoy a good pair of Actives under $1k or even under $500? I liked my experience with a good pair of ADAMs while I was in China(their service is great too!) but   they are way too much for a working student like myself. That being said, going surround, I rather use passives then actives not because of technicals or cost, because actives are a pain in the butt to wire surround. 

May 26, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #99 of 141
I built active speakers and the amps and the sound is great. Really helps the tweeter to power on strong without distortion. Agreed it's a pain to have surround with active speakers because you need a signal volume control for 5.1. Most people would use passive amp systems for surround. Are there many active surround systems available commercially?

May 26, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #100 of 141
Quote:
I built active speakers and the amps and the sound is great. Really helps the tweeter to power on strong without distortion. Agreed it's a pain to have surround with active speakers because you need a signal volume control for 5.1. Most people would use passive amp systems for surround. Are there many active surround systems available commercially?

I remember a 5.1 based on the 6010a/5040a from Genelec and their subwoofers should have volume control. The main problem is that mains wiring for my apartment is not ideal at all and hacking the room is not an option.

If a 5.1 system should be used for actives, the room has to be built surround from the start or drive multiple extension plugs all over. In other words, its extremely messy compared to multi-channel passive unless you have a 3 channel active system. 

May 29, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #101 of 141
Quote:
I remember a 5.1 based on the 6010a/5040a from Genelec and their subwoofers should have volume control. The main problem is that mains wiring for my apartment is not ideal at all and hacking the room is not an option.

If a 5.1 system should be used for actives, the room has to be built surround from the start or drive multiple extension plugs all over. In other words, its extremely messy compared to multi-channel passive unless you have a 3 channel active system. 

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVSeparates&SubCatId=0&ProductId=AV7005 can be used with actives.  You just need a receiver that can be hooked up to some amps, like amps in the speakers.

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #102 of 141
Quote:

This.  
wink.gif

Audiophiles (non-professional), generally, despite all the arguments about fidelity, are also in it for the fun. It's a hobby of sorts. Picking and matching, and shopping, is fun. Buying one box (okay, maybe three then- 2x actives+digital source) is a bit of a downer. Then you have to tell yourself "okay, I'm done. huh. I guess that's it, then. The engineers thought of everything."

Going with passives, you get to choose and match also separate amps, pre-amps, cabling, and such. That's fun. Then you can chase the "best sound." You can then say "How can I make it better? I want to do it myself."

Actives can be objectively better, if you take out your oscilloscopes, but subjectively, passive setups are more "yours." YOU did the work. You are more invested in it. Psychologically (there's plenty of peer-reviewed studies about this), you will feel it's better. And that's, in the end, how much YOU enjoy it, is what matters. 

In all seriousness, wouldn't it be more fun and possible less expensive buying/trading/comparing active speakers?  Or is there the fear that the differences in sound/coloration or what have you would no longer be worth the trouble?  I'm glad I found this thread.  After purchasing a DAC/Amp combo for my cans, it finally dawned on me that with active speakers, I can concern myself with spend all that money I would've wasted on more gear on cd's instead.  I have one more pair of passive speakers I want to buy, but only because I've already got the rest of the setup.  Afterwards, I'm thinking about nothing but active. 

Thanks for the thread!

Jun 14, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #104 of 141
Do most active monitors have good off-axis dispersion?  I was always under the impression that they were fairly focused due to use in near field applications. 

I did watch the posted vid on the SE Electronics Egg 150 monitors, but their setup isn't much different than passive monitors - although I'm sure their amp is built specifically for the Eggs. I am wondering how scalable their setup is - 5.1, etc. 

Jun 14, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #105 of 141
Quote:
Do most active monitors have good off-axis dispersion?  I was always under the impression that they were fairly focused due to use in near field applications. 

I did watch the posted vid on the SE Electronics Egg 150 monitors, but their setup isn't much different than passive monitors - although I'm sure their amp is built specifically for the Eggs. I am wondering how scalable their setup is - 5.1, etc. 

Do you want a speaker to spread sound in all unwanted and unintended directions thereby creating spurious reflections and destroying the stereo soundfield?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back