[ Active Speakers ] ---> Best Under ~$250?
Sep 19, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dayton Audio Subs - "Can you power satallite speakers off the amp in this sub?"

"Unfortunately no, the amp only powers the woofer in the sub. This requires a stereo or surround sound receiver to power satellite speakers."

Well, crap... -_- Now it has to get complicated. Supposedly my 250D satellites use "75W" per, so I guess I need a 150W amp to mix between..?

All those subwoofers only share one design feature: the amp is a "plate" form factor mounted on the subwoofer.

The difference how ever is that multimedia models have multi-channel amplifiers - 2.1, 5.1, and 7.1 - that way they'd be plug and play for people who are more into computers than audio. Home audio and theater subwoofers on other hand only have a 0.1 amplifier because it's supposed to work with integrated amplifiers or receivers. If anything those with only HT in mind will have only a single RCA "LFE" (low freq effects) input coming from the HT receiver with a dedicated LFE port. Those with concession for 2ch audio might have bypass RCA (ie it will be between the source and integrated amp, or between the preamp and power amp) or bypass speaker level inputs (integrated amp/power amp output to sub to speakers). Pro monitoring subwoofers are designed with line level (RCA, TRS, XLR) inputs to go between the preamp and the active speakers.

Sep 19, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #32 of 40

All those subwoofers only share one design feature: the amp is a "plate" form factor mounted on the subwoofer.

The difference how ever is that multimedia models have multi-channel amplifiers - 2.1, 5.1, and 7.1 - that way they'd be plug and play for people who are more into computers than audio. Home audio and theater subwoofers on other hand only have a 0.1 amplifier because it's supposed to work with integrated amplifiers or receivers. If anything those with only HT in mind will have only a single RCA "LFE" (low freq effects) input coming from the HT receiver with a dedicated LFE port. Those with concession for 2ch audio might have bypass RCA (ie it will be between the source and integrated amp, or between the preamp and power amp) or bypass speaker level inputs (integrated amp/power amp output to sub to speakers). Pro monitoring subwoofers are designed with line level (RCA, TRS, XLR) inputs to go between the preamp and the active speakers.

So, preferably, I should buy an amp with a subwoofer output? This doesn't seem to have one...

My setup/source is: soundcard with RCA L+R outputs

Sep 19, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #33 of 40
Quote:
So, preferably, I should buy an amp with a subwoofer output? This doesn't seem to have one...

My setup/source is: soundcard with RCA L+R outputs

That depends. Those technically are called "receivers" since the dedicated subwoofer output uses a digital crossover, which then requires a DSP chip. Originally these were all surround sound HT receivers but nowadays some 2ch receivers also have dedicated subwoofer outputs. Your problem here is that these usually cost upward of $300.

Now if you're going to just overhaul your entire system anyway (I mean why do you want to take an existing 2.1 system and add an incompatible subwoofer to it?) then you might as well do it right. And first things first - how important is the sub exactly? Because your original post says it's not needed but now you're trying to use an incompatible (and huge) subwoofer module with two tiny speakers. You can get a proper HPamp-DAC-Preamp unit (if you need it to drive headphones) or any audio interface like the Scarlett 2i4 (if driving headphones isn't a necessity), then studio monitors and subwoofer. That way the studio sub has line inputs to take a signal from the preamp and then pass it on to the monitors.

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #34 of 40

That depends. Those technically are called "receivers" since the dedicated subwoofer output uses a digital crossover, which then requires a DSP chip. Originally these were all surround sound HT receivers but nowadays some 2ch receivers also have dedicated subwoofer outputs. Your problem here is that these usually cost upward of $300.

Now if you're going to just overhaul your entire system anyway (I mean why do you want to take an existing 2.1 system and add an incompatible subwoofer to it?) then you might as well do it right. And first things first - how important is the sub exactly? Because your original post says it's not needed but now you're trying to use an incompatible (and huge) subwoofer module with two tiny speakers. You can get a proper HPamp-DAC-Preamp unit (if you need it to drive headphones) or any audio interface like the Scarlett 2i4 (if driving headphones isn't a necessity), then studio monitors and subwoofer. That way the studio sub has line inputs to take a signal from the preamp and then pass it on to the monitors.

The new sub is practically the same as my dead one(altho likely MUCH better quality), and I'm assuming the speakers will still sound as good(pretty ok), so I need to figure out minimal spending here, to get the speakers powered and everything connected..

If I get an amp with a sub output and USB(like the SMSL Q5), then I can just bypass my soundcard and connect it all, I guess... But ideally I want it to work with my RCA outputs, too.

And subs only need mono input, right..? Never thought about it before, heh.

The SMSL Q5 says, "Line level subwoofer output with built-in 200 Hz, 24dB/octave low pass filter", so "line level" sub output is what I guess I'm looking for...without a DAC attached, if I'm being cheap lol :|

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #35 of 40
Quote:
The new sub is practically the same as my dead one(altho likely MUCH better quality), and I'm assuming the speakers will still sound as good(pretty ok), so I need to figure out minimal spending here, to get the speakers powered and everything connected..

You're ignoring too many factors there, not even just the channels built into the plate amp on the subwoofer. That's why I mentioned that the speakers were tiny and that's the primary problem. Depending too much on the subwoofer to catch mains that roll off their low end response too early will have a tendency to just have you spending money to get bloated bass. It doesn't matter if the sub is better, the problem is that subwoofers cannot typically pump that fast especially if they're larger units without some audible distortion (and smaller subs are more aptly midbass drivers, multimedia speakers just have port designs boosting their response below 100hz). Even if you were using for example JLAudio subwoofers you will not be able to utilize the sub to end up with a pretty neutral response with just a 200hz low pass on the Q5. At minimum you'll have to render the Q5's low pass useless by using the lower low pass setting built into the plate amp, and then leaving an even bigger hole between the sub and the mains; alternately you can disable the low pass on the sub, use the 200hz low pass on the Q5, and then use an EQ to lower the sub's output between 100hz and 200hz. That still doesn't solve any other issues with the response of the tiny speakers, because for all we know the subwoofer it came with is cut higher than 200hz just to catch where it rolls off or avoid where its response has distortion.

In short, your ideas of economical short cuts aren't going to solve your problems and might just create new ones, effectively meaning that you spent money for no improvement at all (if not make things worse).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And subs only need mono input, right..? Never thought about it before, heh.

Only a mono input but in cases where it is equipped with stereo inputs you have to check the manual to see which input will work as an LFE input. Note that in such cases LFE - whether a dual purpose RCA port on a stereo input sub or a dedicated LFE input on an HT sub - will likely bypass the sub's crossover as it will assume that you have a receiver with an LFE output.

Seriously getting a studio sub with studio monitors would cost a lot but it's still the easier way to integrate a sub with a pair of desktop speakers, and as long as you don't need headphones anyway then any audio interface will do (as the weak part of the design on the cheaper ones tend to be the headphone output).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The SMSL Q5 says, "Line level subwoofer output with built-in 200 Hz, 24dB/octave low pass filter", so "line level" sub output is what I guess I'm looking for...without a DAC attached, if I'm being cheap lol :|

You're not likely to find anything with line level output without a DAC in it because the crossover on the receiver is digital. It will do that in the digital stage using a DSP chip. The cheap way is to use a passive speakers, an amp, and a sub with high level (speaker output) input from the amp which then goe back out to the speakers, or get an integrated amplifier with an external connection between the preamp stage and its power amplifier stage (like old NADs) or you buy a preamp and a separate dedicated power amp (that will eat a lot of space, and even if you get them used, unless they're local pick up your spending will be bloated by the cost of shipping heavy speaker equipment), then hook up an RCA splitter from the preamp output so you can send a preamp signal to the power amp as well as the sub, with both being controlled by the preamp.

Or you know, get a matching set of studio gear.

Monoprice Studio Monitors,                   $200
Rockville APM-10C studio subwoofer,    $160
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 -                         $150
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Total                                                   $510

These are all based on Amazon prices. 

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #36 of 40
Ah, so close, but so far... Back to the drawing board 
frown.gif

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #37 of 40
Wow Lots of suggestions in this conversations but as per the budget and needs I found 2 speakers after reading reviews at http://onthespeakers.com/audiophile-computer-speakers/ But I am bit confused which one to pick. 

First one is Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 and the other one is Audioengine A2+ Speaker System both have good reviews over amazon and over the above listed website. I really looking forward towards the Audioengine but its a bit costly. If any one of you have used above listed speakers please share if going with Klipsch would be a good choice or audioengine?

Make sure I am not that techy so the try framing words in an easier way. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #38 of 40
  Wow Lots of suggestions in this conversations but as per the budget and needs I found 2 speakers after reading reviews at http://onthespeakers.com/audiophile-computer-speakers/ But I am bit confused which one to pick. 

First one is Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 and the other one is Audioengine A2+ Speaker System both have good reviews over amazon and over the above listed website. I really looking forward towards the Audioengine but its a bit costly. If any one of you have used above listed speakers please share if going with Klipsch would be a good choice or audioengine?

Make sure I am not that techy so the try framing words in an easier way. 
biggrin.gif

I must say that for the budget minded and searching for "best bang for the buck" you can't go wrong with Cyber Acoustics CA-3602 30 watts powered 2.1 system. The sound & built quality is actually very good and it will surprise many considering it's $39.95 price. NO, it's not a misprint... $39.95 with two 2" magnetically shield satellite radiated speakers and a 5 1/2" poly carbon high excursion sub-woofer in a bass reflex cabinet made of real wood. Sounds impossible at this price doesn't it? I have a unit and when I first saw all the reviews I thought that there must be something fishy going on. WOW, was I wrong. This little baby really rocks. I am a dedicated "poor man audiophile" fanatic and been in the hunt for GREAT SOUND with the least money spent for over 35 years and, believe me, you won't find anything with the built quality and good sound this baby offers not at this price. You would need to spend 3 to 4 time the money and still not achieve what this unit offers. I use the Cyber Acoustic as my computer speakers on a daily basis and have no regrets.

Let me make it clear that I also have my main listening system... NAD 304 Amp, Audio Monitor Bronze 2 speakers, KEF Q300 speakers, Rotel Tuner, Audio Engine DAC/AMP, Onkyo CD player and all my cables are custom made by me as well as speaker stands. I just love experimenting with "low budget" equipment and maximizing what I can get out of them. Of course I am not comparing the Cyber Acoustics with my main system but you will be amazed, like I was, when I first heard what came out of these so called "cheap" speakers. Take my word, if you want good sound on the cheap, go for the Cyber Acoustics.... you wont regret it.

Check out this review >>> http://theroundingsound.com/audiophile-pc-speakers/ 

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #39 of 40

I must say that for the budget minded and searching for "best bang for the buck" you can't go wrong with Cyber Acoustics CA-3602 30 watts powered 2.1 system. The sound & built quality is actually very good and it will surprise many considering it's $39.95 price. NO, it's not a misprint... $39.95 with two 2" magnetically shield satellite radiated speakers and a 5 1/2" poly carbon high excursion sub-woofer in a bass reflex cabinet made of real wood. Sounds impossible at this price doesn't it? I have a unit and when I first saw all the reviews I thought that there must be something fishy going on. WOW, was I wrong. This little baby really rocks. I am a dedicated "poor man audiophile" fanatic and been in the hunt for GREAT SOUND with the least money spent for over 35 years and, believe me, you won't find anything with the built quality and good sound this baby offers not at this price. You would need to spend 3 to 4 time the money and still not achieve what this unit offers. I use the Cyber Acoustic as my computer speakers on a daily basis and have no regrets.

Let me make it clear that I also have my main listening system... NAD 304 Amp, Audio Monitor Bronze 2 speakers, KEF Q300 speakers, Rotel Tuner, Audio Engine DAC/AMP, Onkyo CD player and all my cables are custom made by me as well as speaker stands. I just love experimenting with "low budget" equipment and maximizing what I can get out of them. Of course I am not comparing the Cyber Acoustics with my main system but you will be amazed, like I was, when I first heard what came out of these so called "cheap" speakers. Take my word, if you want good sound on the cheap, go for the Cyber Acoustics.... you wont regret it.

Check out this review >>> http://theroundingsound.com/audiophile-pc-speakers/ 

Wow thats for sure a great news I will pick the Cyber Acoustics its really a bang for bucks and a review from a user is always best. 
Thanks Melen I will come with my experience about it soon. 

Nov 6, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #40 of 40
  Wow thats for sure a great news I will pick the Cyber Acoustics its really a bang for bucks and a review from a user is always best. 
Thanks Melen I will come with my experience about it soon. 

Sure thing.... you can get the Cyber Acoustics at Amazon or NewEgg....... Let me know just how surprised you are as soon as you listen to them... I assure you that you will be very happy with the little money spent and the good sound quality... enjoy....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back