Active speakers and Turntable configuration
Sep 29, 2018 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

shonor6

Head-Fier
Hello folks,

Wondering how do I configure the two together.

Technically there's no problem, I should simply be able to connect the turntable to my powered speakers. However, that would mean controlling the volume could only be done using the knobs behind the speakers, which is not a comfortable configuration for me.

I am wondering which external device do I need in order to help me with that. Is it correct to say that a receiver/amplifier is not only unnecessary but actually unsafe for my monitors? We're talking about M-Audio's BX5 D2's.

Is an external soundcard or DAC what I need?

Do enlighten me!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 11
Not sure what a phono, mm or mc preamps are. But the turntable is an audio-technica at-lp60 which has a built-in preamp. So basically I'm looking for another (external) preamp?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #4 of 11
Not sure what a phono, mm or mc preamps are. But the turntable is an audio-technica at-lp60 which has a built-in preamp. So basically I'm looking for another (external) preamp?

Thanks.

Yes since your turntable outputs at 1 or 2V so you need a volume controller (aka preamp) in between

Sep 29, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #5 of 11
If you want something inexpensive, Technolink makes some decent quality preamps with volume control. You can either get a phono preamp and bypass the one built into your turntable, or get a line level preamp and use the built in one.

Something like this: https://www.phonopreamps.com/tc750lcpp.html
Or this: https://www.phonopreamps.com/TC-753LCpp.html
Or this, if you want to use the preamp in your turntable: https://www.phonopreamps.com/TC-780LCpp.html

I think they're all available on Amazon, if you prefer. Weirdly, though, the reviews are kind of screwed up and are connected to the wrong products. If you Google, you can find many more Amazon user reviews.

I used to have the TC-750 without the volume control and I thought it sounded pretty good.

Sep 30, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #6 of 11
Wondering how do I configure the two together.

Technically there's no problem, I should simply be able to connect the turntable to my powered speakers. However, that would mean controlling the volume could only be done using the knobs behind the speakers, which is not a comfortable configuration for me.

I am wondering which external device do I need in order to help me with that. Is it correct to say that a receiver/amplifier is not only unnecessary but actually unsafe for my monitors? We're talking about M-Audio's BX5 D2's.

You need a passive preamp between the Phono Preamp and the active monitors. For SE connections there's the Schiit Sys for $50.

Is an external soundcard or DAC what I need?

Do enlighten me!

A DAC is a digital to analogue converter. The TT is already analogue.

A soundcard is practically a DAC and HPamp with a DSP chip before the DAC.

Sep 30, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #7 of 11
Thank you for your responses,

I actually do need to make the order in Europe as this is where I live. Does this look good? Not sure if it's a line or a phono level preamplifier (or if it actually matters at all).

Sep 30, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #8 of 11
Looks like that would work if you want to continue using your Audio Technica's built in preamp (the one you linked is line level only).
The Schiit Sys that ProtegeManiac mentioned might also be a good option for line level, though I've not heard it. One benefit is that it doesn't require plugging it into an AC outlet.

Also, line level or phono preamp only matters if you're planning on using the preamp that comes with your turntable. My guess is that it's not very high quality, but I haven't actually heard it. If it were me, I'd probably want a phono pre, but that's just me. You could also get a line level and then add a phono pre later, as well. In fact, that would probably give you more options, as there aren't that many phono preamps with volume control.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #9 of 11
Thank you for your responses,

I actually do need to make the order in Europe as this is where I live. Does this look good? Not sure if it's a line or a phono level preamplifier (or if it actually matters at all).

That can work but its an active preamp with tubes and tone control, meaning it's deliberately designed for you to add distortion to the signal. It will boost the signal though unlike a passive preamp like the Sys which just attenuates it.

That said...do you really need tone controls if you have active speakers? If yours has a relative gain knob so you can reduce or increase the gain on the tweeters' amp channels vs the mdiwoofers' amp channels, then probably not. And it doesn't add distortion either.

Oct 6, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #10 of 11
Didn't know preamps exist in an active and passive form as well... Would you be able to recommend something better for me? Ideally something that is sold in Europe, so I don't have to deal with tax and border control and all that cal?

Thanks again,

Sean

Oct 6, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #11 of 11
Didn't know preamps exist in an active and passive form as well... Would you be able to recommend something better for me? Ideally something that is sold in Europe, so I don't have to deal with tax and border control and all that cal?

Other passive preamps cost $200 or more and are also from outside the EU so might as well pay $50+shipping+taxes.

Or check pro audio stores. They might have a passive attenuator on the cheap. Should work the same way as the Sys, just in a case that isn't going to look all that good on your desk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back