Active Portable tunes...
Feb 2, 2002 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Owen Meany

New Head-Fier
I have become a bit of a Headphone-type over the last few months and for various reasons I find myself doing almost all of my listening via my 600's, EarMax and Rega Planet..but I now thinking that I would like to have my tune portable...but, portable so that I can Ski/snowboard....

My question is: what is the best medium, amp, source for active uses...I never really thought about it but it would be nice on the slopes or on a long road ride (biking, my other passion)..I don't have an mac so the ipod is out...I really have not, as of yet, jumped in to the MP3 pool...Should I?

What is the best for protable/active music listening??

Thanks, jb

Feb 2, 2002 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 2
I'd say go with Sony D-EJ925 and Sennheiser MX500 earbuds. The antiskip on this thing is unbelievable, I played a football game in the snow with this combo. Fell on it a few times, not even a hiccup.
The sound was pretty good. The headphone jack was kind of weak, but you can't expect much more from a portable cd player. You might want to talk to JMT (fellow Head-Fi person who makes cool portable amps) and ask if he can make you a rugged version of his portable tin can amp designed for what ever headphone you decide to get.
Although I haven't tried the Koss KSC-35, you should try them, a lot of people claim they are great for portable use, heck MacDEF uses his $1000 amp for them sometimes(@ home I would hope, and not in some Burger King bathroom after he downs a greasy meal while he shaves his grill to go pick up his girlfriend for a night out).
biggrin.gif

Don't even consider canalphones like Etyomics or other copycat ones, sound isolation is much too dangerous when you're riding the slopes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back