Active / Portable Closed Back Headphone Recommendations for Smaller Heads
Jan 11, 2017 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

NoteEater

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi community,

My first post here and I hope after reading the rules I am following them accordingly posting here first. I should say I have been frequenting the Head-Fi forums quite a bit over the last six months so not really necessarily new here.  Mostly I was reading info on DAPs because most of my music listening has been consumed on my 11 channel home system or my Audison BitOne processed active audio system in my car.  In my opinion when dialed in correctly the vehicle seems to me to be the best combination of listening in an open room and listening through headphones.  My favorite soundspace really. I started out spinning records when I was 5 years old in the mid 70s and after college I really started investing in audio gear in my vehicles and at home. Now with a 7 year old at home and both my wife and daughter going to bed at 10pm, the dB level I would like to produce is just not conducive to my mental health at home :)

So I bought my first decent pair of headphones and I am hooked about the opportunity to play music at the levels I prefer to really get a positive experience from it.  I love the gear a lot.  But really my main goal is high quality music listening for the music.  So I bought a pair of HE400i headphones and really appreciate their sound signature to anything I have been using prior which has ben mediocre at best.  I have had them for a month now and really enjoying them.

I am sure this is a common experience around here, but honestly the majority of people out there have no idea what a good sounding pair of headphones is like.  I was one of them surprisingly considering how much I have invested in audio gear over the years. I almost feel like a missionary now to share this experience with as many of my friends that are equally passionate about music.  You should see their eyes light up as if they were born again.

I quickly learned a bit of amplification over my FiiO X5 and DX80 Dap headphone outs really brought out the true signature of these cans.  I temporarily pulled my ADL Furutech GT40 All In One unit from my turntable setup to drive the HE400i and Boom.  Really opened the cans up.  Pretty loud noise floor for my taste actually on the GT40, but it will do for now.  Hardly ever used the headphone out on the GT40 as I had really just been using it for a phono preamp and ADC converter to create 24bit rips of my vinyl collection.  My replacement DAC/AMP is coming tomorrow.  I settled on a Fostex HP-AFBL.  It really does not get much play here on Head-Fi maybe because it has not been available in the States up until this past summer.  I have a good feeling I will be satisfied with it and maybe paring a pair of Fostex 610s or might just go right to the Alpha Dog as a complimentary home set to the HE400i.  I have a custom Balanced cable from LQi cables right here in Chicagoland. Looking forward to testing out the HE400i on balanced through the Fostex. I know people here will most likely recommend are suggest I just go with a Jotunheim but since not many have tried the new Fostex I figured I can be a ginny pig.

Enough of where I have been in my audio journey. I think it is important at least for the community to get a little bit of my background.  I am not afraid to spend money on gear and I am sure I will contribute quite a bit of useful anecdotal info to Head-Fi.

So this is my dilemma for this first post.  I have a set of cans for home listening for now :wink:  I travel quite a bit and really do not want to sacrifice too much in sound quality from my home rig.  I am very happy with my DAPs and FiiO A5 amp for portable use so I can drive whatever cans would be recommended pretty much for portable with the additional amp.

I started with the Marshall Major II Bluetooth headphones.  I have to say in terms of portability and fit for my particular head type being a 7 1/4 baseball cap size, the Major IIs fit me perfectly.  In comparison to the set I just got today, the V-Moda XS cans and have to immediately send back because they simply are too loose on my head and I cannot make the headband any smaller.  It really is a shame because I really like the sound signature of the XS cans.  I know they are not audiophile headphones but thats ok.  I want to have a variety of sound signatures. Very short listening time I have had with them but I have to say I can hear from all the pages I read on Head-Fi that the vocals are certainly center stage.  I kind of like that and in noisier environment like a plane or walking around a city, this sound signature would be a great complement to the more audiophile set in the HE400i.  

The Major IIs crossed all the checkpoints for me other than two very important things in an active/ portable set. I just don't like the sound signature and the clamping pressure gets to you after a couple hours or so of listening.  Took them off halfway through a couple longer flights.  The sound of the Major IIs came off veiled and lacking in mid definition due to I believe a bump in lower frequency that are clouding out the mids in these cans.  Also the ear opening is a bit less than an inch in square form.  Really interesting ear cup design really.  Not sure if it has intention.  

So the thing I do like about the Major IIs is when I have to bend down and go into my travel bag, camera bag, backpack, tie my shoes, etc., the Major II do not fall of my head.  The new V-Moda XS falls off effortlessly with just a 45 degree down angle.  Fail! and Fail! I can't use this actively.  Another shame is they are the most portable set I have seen yet.  The case is incredibly small for even over ear cans. Kudos to V-Moda on the design.  My whole car audio set up is Italian designed Hertz/Audison so I understand v-modas design intentions very well. If anyone is looking for an active/travel set that has good sound I would highly recommend at least trying to find a pair of V-Moda XS and see if they fit your head better than mine.  I really want these headphones.  They simply just don't fit "me".

I am not afraid of moving up to an over ear for an active/travel set as long as they fold down small enough to be somewhat travel worthy and will stay put on my head. I try not to check a bag as I  install software for a living so I have other gear I have to have with me.  I thought of just grabbing the M-100s as I am sure they would not fall off my head and probably give me a similar sound signature to the XS headphones apart from the bass bump I have been reading about.  I am just worried even as over ears the M-100s would still fall off my head.

So I reach out to you Head-Fiers to suggest an as good sounding set of cans to the V-Moda line and I would be nice to hear why in relation to these key things in order of importance:

1. SQ - paramount.  I don't want to compromise too much here.
2. Active Wearing (I need a set of headphones to do work around the house as well as travel - need to stay put on my head)
3. Portability (Can't take too much space in my carry on bag or carry on luggage.  
4. Size ( as small as possible but not compromising too much on SQ.  I don't want mediocre sets any more.)

Jan 12, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #2 of 5
You should consider the Beyerdynamic DT1350's. To my ears, they would check all of the boxes for you.

1. They are on-ears with a mostly neutral sound signature that with a proper seal will produce a very pleasant bass presence. I cannot speak to how similar they are to the V-Moda sound.
2. They are known for a strong clamp force and that combined with the adjustable split band equals a solid fit on the head.
3. The ear cups fold flat and the phones come with a very nice, padded carrying case.
4. Being on-ears, they have a smaller overall size for portability.

Good luck with your search!

Jan 13, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 5
That looks like a great suggestion.  I will have to see if I can find a pair locally and test them out to see if I can get a good seal.  Maybe Guitar Center.  I think with the split head band I would not have the issues of them falling off my head.

I noticed on the V-Moda XS, if I just slightly pressed the pads to my ears to make a good seal, the amount of bass response increases dramatically.  Man I wish they fit well.  

Funny thing, my wife's birthday is coming up and she had said in her new job she really needs some headphones with a good mic so she can be heard over all the noise at the school she works.  Well I had her try on the V-Modas and they fit perfectly.  She loved the sound and I bought the boom mic for it.  She got her birthday present early this year and she is very happy with them :wink: 

Hopefully I can get some other suggestions on here.  Been looking at the B&W P7s.  I hear the cushions are really nice. Also the Oppo PM-3s are on my list. I know these are both larger headphones but in terms of SQ and comfort, I might deal with a bit larger set of cans.

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #5 of 5
Thank you serman005.  I have been looking at the Momentums but after all the holiday pricing the prices have gone back up.  If I see them at the lower price I might give those a try.  I can test those at a local store too.  

I will take a look at some reviews of the AKGs.  Very reasonably priced at $120.  Any experience with them?  Sound signature? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back