"Active" or "Passive" listening, where do you stand?
Feb 23, 2007 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

KrooLism

500+ Head-Fier
I was just wondering how much active listening people here do.

I personally, am about 25/75. I do dedicate time away from the world specifically to listen to hi-fi, headphones and music.

Though a lot of the time, I do heaps of passive listening when I'm at work, on computer, etc...

Feb 23, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #2 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by KrooLism /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I personally, am about 25/70. I do dedicate time away from the world specifically to listen to hi-fi, headphones and music.

Though a lot of the time, I do heaps of passive listening when I'm at work, on computer, etc...

And what about the other 5% of time
tongue.gif

For me it's about 25% as well, since i listen alot when i'm on the go, and i wouldn't call that active listening then.

Feb 23, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #4 of 43
I can't listen to music without doing something

It seems like some people just sit there listening to music which is kinda boring to me though I need to do something while I listen to it.

When I listen to music I am at the computer so most of it is computer related such as gaming, forums, chatting, and homework.

I really want a portable setup for work and school though :p that will come later

Feb 23, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #6 of 43
if you're a real music enthusiast who listens to engaging music, you can actively just listen to music. symphonies, good concept/opera rock albums, progressive rock, etc.

i don't do this as much as i used to, but even when i did i sure as hell walked around everywhere with music so theres no way i could get above 25%. although i'd like to say i'm very good at multi tasking and could actively listen to music a decent amount while say walking.

Feb 23, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #7 of 43
25% active.
Meaning that I mostly do something else when I listen to music. With some exceptions...

Feb 23, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #9 of 43
Interesting poll
smily_headphones1.gif
I'd say 25% of the time. When I was younger it was more like 50/50 because I would actively listen to music while laying down to go to sleep. Now that I'm in college and have a job, I generally listen to music while writing papers or while driving around.

Feb 23, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #10 of 43
Sound alone isn't enough to entertain me, that's for sure. I usually play some mindless game like FIFA Soccer. It really lets me focus on the music without getting bored. Come to think of it, that may as well be the only reason I play that game
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 8:01 AM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by KrooLism /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I personally, am about 25/75. I do dedicate time away from the world specifically to listen to hi-fi, headphones and music.

Yeah, that sounds about like me.

Feb 23, 2007 at 8:05 AM Post #13 of 43
25%...its the other way around honestly, not that I don't devote time to specifically listening, but I listen alot more than I have time for dedicated listening. Factor in portable players when going around school/studying/at work and so on, so 25% is actually quite a bit.

Feb 23, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And what about the other 5% of time
tongue.gif

For me it's about 25% as well, since i listen alot when i'm on the go, and i wouldn't call that active listening then.

Shuddup you...
tongue.gif

Times have changed so much.

It wasn't too long ago (and perhaps some of our parents or grandparents can tell you about it) where listening to music/grammaphone/radio was a task where one had to specifically devote one's time to.

These days, I bet most people you know (outside of head-fi) would almost never actively listen to music. Compact work radios and the clarity of FM broadcast, walkman's and later iPods, car stereo's... all which have been developed in the last 50 years means people can "multi-task" when listening to music or radio.

However, after I joined head-fi, I find that I am constantly frustrated by outside interference when I'm trying to appreciate a piece of music.

I'm about to purchase an expensive SACD player and I am picturing myself looking a lot like my ancestors when listening to tunes.
A dedicated room and chairs, no noise, no disturbence.

Only the serenity and tranquility of your music.

"The way music is meant to be heard."

My ratio would probably go up to 50/50 then.

Feb 23, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #15 of 43
Most of my listening is passive listening, sitting in front of the computer reading websites.

All of my truly intense, active listening is done when I go for a walk. I put my body on auto-pilot and focus completely on the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back