Active Noise Cancelling - Options and recommendations?
May 3, 2015 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

aim54x

Head-Fier
I am looking into some ANC headphones, I have stayed well clear of these in the past but with some long flights (no doubt sleepless if my track record holds up) I am thinking these may help, or at least make the drone of the engines more bearable. I am not considering IEM's as they tend to irritate my ears after extended use.

I currently enjoy Sennheiser HD-25-1-II (Adidas Originals) and Audio Technical ATH-M50 headphones and listen to predominently a mix rock, pop, country. There is also a splash of classical/jazz and even a bit of RnB/Soul in my playlist.

Features wise I am looking for (in order of importance):
-Active Noise Cancelling
-Size
-Bluetooth
-NFC

I fly in a month and therefore need to make a purchase (if any) in the next two weeks and am limiting myself to headphones that are easily accessible in the Australian market (but BH/Amazon are other options even with the weak AUD). I am trying to say under AUD 250 (say USD 200 landed cost)

So far I am considering:
-Audio Technica ATH-ANC9 (ANC, no bluetooth, no NFC, reports of sound leakage, not too sure about size)
-Sony MDR-10RNC (ANC, no bluetooth, no NFC, lower level of ANC, compact)

Others that I have looked at but don't think I am considering
-Creative Aurvana Gold (ANC, bluetooth, NFC, lower level of ANC and mixed reports on audio quality)
-Sony ZX550BN (ANC, bluetooth, NFC, lower level of ANC and reports of weak audio quality)

Any other suggestions/reccomendations?

May 24, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #2 of 2
I guess just for completeness, despite there being no replies I should just inform you what I ended up doing.

I managed to borrow a set of Senneheiser MMX450's and despite really enjoying the full feature set (ANC/Bluetooth) I found them to cause discomfort after a few hours.

I managed to try the ATH-ANC9's at Minidisc.com.au (Wing was great help) and eventually, after almost a fortnight of mulling (and testing the MMX450's) I ended up making the purchase. They are a much simpler unit, not overly compact but I found that I could live with the sound quality, whilst the ANC was very good. 

The ZX550BN was ruled out due to less than stellar reviews, and the Creative Aurvana Gold fell victim of being too cheap for the specs to be trusted without actually trying. I did manage to try on the standard version of the Sony MDR-10 but could not find the noise cancelling variant to test.

I guess I went for the safe choice at the end of the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back