Active Noise Canceling Headphones Under $50
Jan 12, 2015 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jeti66

New Head-Fier
I've been looking for a pair of iems that i could use while i travel for a bit. Recently i've been looking at the AudioTechnica ATH-ANC331, the ATN-ANC23 and the Sony MDRNC13. Any suggestions to which one one these i should buy or if should buy something different? To me they all seem very similar. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 3
Just to clarify, IEMs are already goot at passive noise cancelling. Passive means just physically sealing the ear and isolating it from outside noise; active NC refers to an electronic circuit (this is the active part, as it runs powered by something, like a battery) that modifies the signal to cancel out noise. And as far as IEMs are concerned, passive is usually enough - not to mention you won't worry about their batteries. It's all a matter of getting the tips that offer a good fit - my ASG-1.3 and MEE M6P on Sony Hybrids can keep the sound of jets out unless I'm sitting in the rows near the wings.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I prefer IEMs with shells similar to the design used by Shure and Westone - they're more ergonomic and help the IEM stay in place, the cable looping around the ears also helps and they rely a bit less on pressure around the tips (and better long term comfort). You're not likely to find detailed reviews on the ones you listed - at that price range most people here buy brands like VSonic and Havi for example for the SQ and rely on passive NC.

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 3
I really don't see the point of ANC in IEMs. I know this has recently become more popular, but I've always used high isolation IEMs (Westone, Etymotic or Shure), and these have always worked better for me than any of the full-size ANC headphones I have tried. Personally, I think ANC IEMs is just another marketing ploy to allow the mfrs to sell $50 IEMs for $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back