Active Nearfield Computer Speakers
Mar 23, 2023 at 7:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Paul Sheridan

New Head-Fier
Currently using a pair of Sonos speakers (ones) for my PC/office setup... these sound muddy and un-responsive, not only that but they don't link directly to my PC (only able to use via Roon). So therefore I am looking for a reasonably cheap and much better alternative to these.

these currently sit on my computer desk, so recommendations would need to be of same size (or only very slightly larger) as only got a small amount of space.

am only looking for an active pair because i feel that these are going to take up the smallest footprint (no amps or DACs if possible). Also trying to reduce the need for wires to declutter desk.

Things i like:
- completely wireless & remote operation; only need to plug these in and they just work.
- decent bass
- small! these take up such a small footprint

things i don't like:
- clarity / detail
- PRAT (pace rhythm and timing) is poor

suggestions welcome!!

just suddenly thought that i didn't put a budget in! - max £500

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 3
You didn't mention a budget but IMO the best desktop speakers right now are KEF LSX. They are not cheap. If clarity is your goal, you can't do much better at that price IMO.
EDIT: Also wanted to give honorable mention to JBL LSR speakers. The LSR5 MKii is a terrific speaker. More clarity than what you've got for sure but absolutely nothing approaching the KEFs. Much much cheaper though and can sometimes be found in the USA for just over $200/pair. Great value. They are sensitive to noisy signals and I wasn't able to run mine off my PC's audio jack, and had to run optical to an Audioquest Beetle (it's a cheap hunk of crud IMO but it works) then analog out to the LSR5's. I still really like them though. They're like 1/8th the price of the LSX so worth considering. In any event I'd really suggest auditioning these speakers. Many hifi shops carry LSX and most music shops that have monitors will have JBL.

If you want something dirt cheap that is worth it's dirt cheap price in spades and is nothing to scoff at, for less than $150 (often a lot less) you can get Presonus Eris 3.5 or 4.5 speakers (one has a 3.5" woofer the other 4.5"). These are not spectacular by any measure but they are highly competent and musical (Again if you consider the price. They're not B&W 800's or anything)

EDIT again: I just wanted to say if you do get the KEF speakers, get proper desktop stands with isolation for them and you are going to have to play around with the placement. KEFs can be finnicky with placement. But they sound sooooooo good.

HTH

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #3 of 3
If priority is a small-footprint active monitor pair with decent SQ, Take a look at the iLoud Micro for 350GBP list.

Imo, it's probably the best SQ for the small form factor. Some hard switches to tailor the sound signature, 3.5mm/RCA/BT input and that's about it. The front-ported speakers play a larger sound than its form factor would suggest. But, imo, the bass performance is decent-to-good but not great. Limited to left-right 1.5m distance due to the provided inter-connecting cable. I use it as my desktop computer speaker in a large room. It should sound better in a smaller room or studio (esp bass performance). Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back