Active Monitors for Classical?
Jul 29, 2009 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

smoth

New Head-Fier
I am looking to purchase some speakers for my computer which currently has an Asus Xonar Essence STX. I listen to mainly classical and rock, but am much more critical of my classical recordings. As such I am looking for some 2 channel speakers to highlight the genre. I may eventually add a subwoofer, but for now, I am sticking with just 2 speakers. I have a budget of about $350, but $250-300 would be prefered. I am okay with purchasing used if it gives me a better product.

Would active studio monitors work well for this appication?

In the category I have found the following in my price range ($200-340):
M-Audio Studiophile BX5a Deluxe
Samson Resolv 65a
KRK RP5 Rokit
Behringer truth b2031a
M-Audio Studiophile BX8a Deluxe
Mackie MR5
Audioengine A5
Yamaha HS50M

Any oppinions on those models? Should I be considering something else?

Thanks

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #2 of 13
I use Adam A7 at home, and they sound great with classical, very detailed and with nice bass. There is a smaller Adam (the a5), but I havent heard that one. It has a smaller woofer, so I suppose that the lower end should be leaner. AT work I have the m-audio av40, which are just OK, with a warm sound (a bit bassy), but you cannot ask more for this price and size.

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 13
For classical, I think you really need to consider bookshelves + amp...a pair of Paradigm mini-monitors and a T-Amp/or something slightly better would be under $350, and would serve you very well.

Jul 30, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 13
I concur with DeusEx concerning the fidelity improvement for separate amp+speakers except under one circumstance. That being, when used as computer/desktop speakers. Active near-field monitors are specifically designed for desktop environments.

That being said, you'll find that "active" speakers cost more than regular speakers, but less than an amp/speaker combo in comparable quality. There are some very good computer desktop speakers available.

If you feel compelled to pursue a more audiophile desktop solution, you can audition some studio quality near-field monitors. The line between computer/desktop speakers and studio monitors has been blurred lately with the rise in popularity of computer audio, so research both.

Jul 30, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 13
+1 to Budley - brings up a good point. Although my Energy RC-10 are actually bookshelf monitors, not near-field monitors, I've found out that you don't lose much soundstage/imaging/SQ when they're closer, but they do sound better farther away (when I go to college I'll use them as a music setup). My Energys are ~2ft away, and I like to sit on my bed (even farther away) when listening to music (have a wifi mouse/keyboard setup) so it's not terribly close, but if you don't have space to spare, then stick with active. Otherwise, go passive+amp.
Passive+amp will usually sound better then an all-in-one setup, especially if it's a solid audio company like Energy, Paradigm, etc...

Jul 31, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #7 of 13
Obviously using separate components allows for a better sound, but I am having trouble finding an amp that does not consume almost half of my budget and since the the amp has almost no effect on sound quality compared to the speakers (assuming it meets the speakers power requirements) it seems foolish to spend $200 on an amp to run $200 speakers. There are cheaper amps, but they only put out about 25watts when most of the speakers that I pull up recommend 75-100. Would that be enough?

polk tsi200 ~$250
Gizmo amp ~$120

I am expecting my critical listening distance to be around 3'-5'.

What are some good manufactures of active near field monitors? I am not really familar with studio equipment.

Regarding the A5's, I contacted Audioengine asking about bstock items and they gave me a code to order a bstock pair for $250.

Thanks

Jul 31, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #8 of 13
Do you have a local Guitar Center or similar pro-audio store? They'll have some monitors set up that you can audition. Guitar Center carries the likes of M-Audio and KRK which are in your price range.

I have the M-Audio BX8a (non-deluxe). I went with them in part because they were under $300 for the pair with shipping. They were being discounted at the time to make way for the BX8a Deluxe version. I like their general tone. They're not as detailed as better more expensive monitors, but certainly very nice for the $300. They're big. They're rear ported so need to be spaced appropriately from the rear wall. That makes them inconvenient unless you happen to have a large desk that can be moved away from the wall (I do).

KRK monitors are front ported. That makes them more flexible and easier to place. You can place them closer to the rear wall without getting the negative effects that a rear ported speaker would have.

Powered studio monitors will have a volume knob on the back of each speaker. That volume knob is to set the reference level for the speaker. It is something that is intended to be set once at setup and then left that way. You don't use the volume knob on the back for regular volume changes during listening. To adjust the volume you would use the volume slider in Windows or your media player. Or you may find that an external passive volume controller to be more convenient (something like the TC Electronic Level Pilot or similar). Or a standard stereo pre-amp. The monitors in your range will have the option to do either standard home stereo unbalanced (RCA style) connections or studio style balanced connections. Whether you can go balanced will depend on whether your sound card has a balanced output.

Jul 31, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #9 of 13
I would recommend the Mackie MR5s. They are great and for their price. Most probably Guitar Center will have a 15% store wide off for Labor Day and the price become even sweeter.

Jul 31, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Powered studio monitors will have a volume knob on the back of each speaker. That volume knob is to set the reference level for the speaker. It is something that is intended to be set once at setup and then left that way. You don't use the volume knob on the back for regular volume changes during listening. To adjust the volume you would use the volume slider in Windows or your media player. Or you may find that an external passive volume controller to be more convenient (something like the TC Electronic Level Pilot or similar). Or a standard stereo pre-amp. The monitors in your range will have the option to do either standard home stereo unbalanced (RCA style) connections or studio style balanced connections. Whether you can go balanced will depend on whether your sound card has a balanced output.

Could the above member or someone else explain what criteria one uses for setting the volume on the rear of powered speakers? I intend to mate a powered speaker with my Sugden Headmaster. which is both a preamp and headphone amp with remote volume control.

Jul 31, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by auee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could the above member or someone else explain what criteria one uses for setting the volume on the rear of powered speakers? I intend to mate a powered speaker with my Sugden Headmaster. which is both a preamp and headphone amp with remote volume control.

Studios will have multiple sets of monitors. They want all of the monitors to have the same volume level so that you can switch between them without one being louder than the other. To do that they will set each pair of monitors to a reference level using the volume knob on the back (or trim adjustments on the mixer or monitor control).

For home use your reference level will be whatever you are comfortable with for a maximum volume. You'll not likely be trying to match volume levels from multiple pairs of speakers.

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by smoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
starting to lean towards the Audioengine A5. Any thoughts?

I use A5s in my home office connected to two computers. The speakers are about 3' from me. They sound great for near field listening and quite good across the room or in the next room.

The volume control is on the front of the left speaker so I can control volume without a separate preamp. The control affects the volume of both speakers. I can't imagine adjusting the volume of each speaker separately more than once.

I have more expensive 3-way speakers with an active crossover in another room. They do produce better sound, especially at high volumes but I don't feel deprived when I listen to music using the A5s.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back