Active monitors for a bedroom system
Sep 5, 2009 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tym

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm considering buying 2 active monitors for a bedroom system, sources will be an emu 0404 usb and a FM tuner.

I will try to audition the Mackie MR5 and the KRK Rokit RP5 G2.

Are these 2 speakers suitable for home listening ? they wil be placed at 8 feet from the listening position.

Planing also to add a tube pre, is this a correct setup ?
Don't these monitors have already a built in pre ? (so adding another pre could be not the best thing to do ..)

Thanks for any information

Sep 5, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 3
Yes they are, but professional monitors have a flat response to all frequencies, and you may not like that. Most consumer speaker have a midbass and a high frequency enhancement (some people call this the "JBL"-type sound), engineered to sound warm and detailed, and a flat response may be something you never heard before, but when you get used this is themost natural sound. Just hear them and choose the one you like the most. Usually they have a power amp, and to control volume you need a pre (SS or tube, depends on your taste).

Sep 6, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the information. I'll probably like this sound as it is the most natural. After all, a flat response is closest to live music.

Just one last question, is there, in the professionnal audio products, some preamp, tube or solid state, that have the same performance/price ratio as speakers like the Mackie MR5 ? (that have outstanding reviews)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back