Active Monitors - Desktop Speakers
Nov 10, 2010 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

lessblue

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, wondering if you can help with some suggestions for active monitors? I've been using Swans M200 (first version, not MKII) for quite some time but want to upgrade to something better.

Been out of the desktop/monitor speaker scene for awhile. Regarding placement, they'd be setup on my desk which is near to a wall.

My budget is about $700 for a pair (after I sell some gear) and willing to buy used.

Nov 10, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 13
I don't have nearly the experience with actives that I do with passives, but I personally woul at least look at the old active Paradigm 20's. I think they last made them in v2. There are a good number of active 2-way speakers in music an pro-audio shops. You might want to try browsing an auditioning there.

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 13
there are loads of threads regarding powered monitors of all prices and shapes in this very forum.

have you considered going with actives passives? you could get a nice pair of speakers and an amp for that amount. not bad, imo

Nov 13, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
I don't have nearly the experience with actives that I do with passives, but I personally woul at least look at the old active Paradigm 20's. I think they last made them in v2. There are a good number of active 2-way speakers in music an pro-audio shops. You might want to try browsing an auditioning there.

There is a samash near me, that sounds like a good idea. I'll look into the Paradigm Reference Active/20, thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
there are loads of threads regarding powered monitors of all prices and shapes in this very forum.

have you considered going with actives? you could get a nice pair of speakers and an amp for that amount. not bad, imo

I have done a search, most of the are somewhat old threads. Was hoping to see more threads on mackie/adam audio/behringer/krk...

You mean passive? Space is a consideration so I want to avoid having to buy an amp separately. I already have my Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp and emu 0404 usb sitting on my desk right now.

I'll check into some other forums though more speaker focused.

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 13
I would recommend you to audition a few Genelec active monitors. They are used a lot in studios where space is a concern. They have a very neutral sound signature, great for mixing. If you´re into an analytical sound, they are worth checking out.  

Once I get my new cables next week I´ll be able to test my 8020B´s with audio. So far only tried them for gaming and movies, where they´ve been fantastic. 

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
I would recommend you to audition a few Genelec active monitors. They are used a lot for studios where space is a concern. They have a very neutral sound signature, great for mixing. If you´re into an analytical sound, they are worth checking out.  

Once I get my new cables next week I´ll be able to test my 8020B´s with audio. So far only tried them for gaming and movies, where they´ve been fantastic. 

Thanks for the input, the Genelec line looks pretty serious from a quick search. Looks to be a bit out of my price range, even the 8020Bs are about a grand!

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 13
The 6010´s are within your budget, the 8020´s almost :) Used 8020´s would probably be a nice choice if you´re into the "monitor" sound signature. Definately try before buying though, they sound quite different compared to traditional hi-fi.

EDIT: Check out M-Audio too. They also make good active monitors. 

Nov 13, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 13
Hi
Adam S1X is a good monitors,its a lot better then Adam a7 or a5,or you have Focal solo6be monitors too.

Nov 16, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
Hi
Adam S1X is a good monitors,its a lot better then Adam a7 or a5,or you have Focal solo6be monitors too.

I second this! Based on my own taste.
But it depends heavily on what you intend to use them for. Genelec is very neutral and precise. Almost boring
tongue_smile.gif

Great for mixing, less suited for just enjoying someone else's mixing labour! Then I prefer Adam and Focal (and Dynaudio). Both are still extremely precise but also more lively. KRK, Mackie, M-Audio and Yamaha are to colored IMHO. They do provide some great value options when it comes to dynamics and bass response.

But listening at a pro-audio store is the best advise you've got already. You local SamAsh should have at least 3 or 4 of the mentioned options on demo.

Nov 16, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #10 of 13
I've been using the JBL LSR 2325P for a few months now with my Essence STX card and I love the quality. It's like Audio-technica sound....but at speaker level. :)

edit: I bought them for about $650 AUD on sale, but that said - it should be cheaper everywhere else.

Nov 16, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #11 of 13
Funny thing is that some people find the opposite.

The focal and adam are too expensive, i would recommend KRK RP6, avoid at all cost back port since you are near to the wall.

Quote:
Then I prefer Adam and Focal (and Dynaudio). Both are still extremely precise but also more lively. KRK, Mackie, M-Audio and Yamaha are to colored IMHO.

copy.png
favicon.ico

Nov 16, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega17TheTrue /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The focal and adam are too expensive, i would recommend KRK RP6, avoid at all cost back port since you are near to the wall.

copy.png
favicon.ico

Doesn't matter unless you are so close to the wall as to block air flow. LF sound expands in a sphere. That's why speakers can use downward firing ports.

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega17TheTrue /img/forum/go_quote.gif

copy.png
favicon.ico

Doesn't matter unless you are so close to the wall as to block air flow. LF sound expands in a sphere.

Agreed and the bolded part should be emphasized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back