Active Monitors <$1200?
Jul 23, 2010 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

digitor

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys

Need your advice with this purchase. Couple of months ago my budget was substantially low but now circumstances have changed. Im looking for an active speaker option only for music playback purposes ( i.e no production/monitoring/gaming etc). The source will be my PC which has a Xonar Essence STX and the type of music will be primarily electronic and jazz. The budget is around $1200. Ive auditioned few active monitors so far (seems like the best bet as i DONT want to go passive+amp route due to space restrictions). The monitors auditioned so far are Focal CMS 50, some Mackies, Genelec 8040, Fostex, and KRK vX4. I like Focal CMS 50 the most of the bunch and will soon be auditioning Adam a5x which will help me make my decision about what sound quality I like the most. In addition to this, I will add the respective brands subwoofer to the system 6 months down the track.

Now, my question is that would I be getting my dollars worth with this kind of setup bearing in mind it will be used ONLY for music playback? Also, any other brands should I consider (bearing in mind I'm in Australia where not all brands can be auditioned)?

Thanks in advance.        

Jul 24, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:
Now, my question is that would I be getting my dollars worth with this kind of setup bearing in mind it will be used ONLY for music playback? Also, any other brands should I consider (bearing in mind I'm in Australia where not all brands can be auditioned)?

I don't see why not, I'm doing the same too. As for other recommendations- Dynaudio BM5A, JBL LSR4326/LSR4328, Event ASP8, Adam A7X, etc. Also, the Gennie 8040A is ~$1200 for each speaker, not a pair.

Jul 24, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 14
^ realised my mistake with Genelecs, think they were a lower model. Ive just got the Focal CMS 50  now but having trouble connectiong em with my Xonar Essence STX via balanced cables. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #5 of 14
You can't get balanced from RCA. Just use RCA cables, it's fine.

Jul 24, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #6 of 14
Since Focal CMS 50 has both balanced and unbalanced inputs, just use the unbalanced ones with your Essence.

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #7 of 14
^ thanks for your feedback guys. Although the Focal CMS 50's have got balanced input BUT Xonar Essence STX DOESNT :frowning2:  Bloody sales guy just flogged the balanced cables to me despite the fact that I told him that im using the aforementioned card (and after looking at the cards specs on the internet). Oh Well. Just connected with $1 RCA unbalanced cables and they seem to be working fine, will look in future for good/expensive RCA cables.   

On another note, am quite happy with my purchase as they are breaking in nicely and warmly. FYI, I did AB'ed them against Adam a5x for good couple of hours in both treated and untreated environments. Whereas the highs of Adams were breathtaking, I found more musicality/cohesion in Focals. The amount of detail/ seperation on Adams was so overwhelming that at times it felt like how one scratches their nails on the wall. I can see why some people mention ear fatigue and the Adams together. Mindblowing for what they are but not apt for my requirements.    

Now the subwoofer search begins......

Jul 26, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #8 of 14
the stx has a balanced dac inside, I doubt it would require too much of a mod to pull balanced output from it. or buy a set of line out transformers and pull 'balanced' output from them. SE is fine as well, but IMO monitors I have heard and owned if they have balanced input, generally do sound better using it.

Jul 26, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
the stx has a balanced dac inside, I doubt it would require too much of a mod to pull balanced output from it. or buy a set of line out transformers and pull 'balanced' output from them. SE is fine as well, but IMO monitors I have heard and owned if they have balanced input, generally do sound better using it.

That would be a cool mod, I guess you could tap the differential I/V section and work from that.

Jul 27, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #10 of 14
I have used both the balanced and unbalanced inputs on my CMS50s.  The rear panel allows a great of flexibility with sources.  I liked the unbalanced just fine from a gamma2 DAC and used the front volume trims as my "pre-amp." 

Focal does make a sub, but it is a big sucker. Placment and avoiding phase errors was challenging.  I have used my sub with both the 50s and also most recently with a pair of Dynaudio BMA6s.

For mixing monitors, these guys are still fun with a big soundstage.  If you like detail without fatigue, worth a listen.  If you prefer a little rounder more live music type feel, maybe not the best choice.  I used a  balanced output from a Belles 21A pre-amp for a while, but the synergy was less than I hoped.

Jul 30, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:

^ So how should I go about this mod. How would I be able to create sockets for balanced cables in my STX? Also, I dont see any provision for a subwoofer in the STX, do you think that can be modded as well? Thanks.

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #12 of 14
Why would the STX be balanced ? It make no sense it should only add production cost for nothing, i think he misunderstood balanced and stereo or i may be wrong.

Jul 31, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
have you tried the Adam A7? i think it's quite good in it's price range..

FYI, I did AB'ed them against Adam a5x for good couple of hours in both treated and untreated environments. Whereas the highs of Adams were breathtaking, I found more musicality/cohesion in Focals. The amount of detail/ seperation on Adams was so overwhelming that at times it felt like how one scratches their nails on the wall. I can see why some people mention ear fatigue and the Adams together. Mindblowing for what they are but not apt for my requirements. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back