Active Desktop Speakers under $500
May 18, 2011 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Sam-Fi

100+ Head-Fier

As by JRG1990's suggestion I got the prodipe monitors (pronounced pro'deep') and they are wonderful. I decided on the ribbon model as it is the newest model and promises improvements to the detail and sound.

In short the speakers sound very balanced and have great bass. I use it in a near-field setup with stands and an external soundcard and things sound great.

I am looking for some active monitoring speakers for under $500. I know we have audioengine - quite frankly they are overhyped. I was trying to get a feel for what is also good out there.

Samson, Adam, Quad (might be too pricey and unforgiving) comes to mind,

I would be looking to achieve something that does well with mp3 as well as flac content (meaning it can tell the difference but does not sound too hard with mp3 (perhaps making bad source material sound better).

Open and focused.

And is both dynamic and has most importantly a good midrange (to me these are actually the weaknesses to me in ae's)

I am not looking for a miracle here - just getting a sense of what is available and seeing if anything matches my preferences.

Thanks,
Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back