Action against Storm Digital
Sep 3, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #227 of 311
very glad to see people are receving theres but damn...that is terrible packing...Why take all this time and effort in making these things if you're going to ship them out like that? doesnt make sense

Sep 4, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #231 of 311
ooh exciting

i guess the dac is poorly packed because it's an incredibly solid chunk of metal so it needs far less packing than most other pieces of gear. that said, i'd personally prefer to have it double boxed just to be sure

is omom the first to receive his? who else is on the waitin list at this stage?

any sound impressions omom? maybe it's time to revive my "storm pandora thread" in the dedicated source forums

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #232 of 311
I am willing to chip in and pay for proper packing. Otherwise I will be interested in the initial impressions. I am guardedly optimistic that more Pandoras are on the way.

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #233 of 311
I've spoken with Ken and he says that he hopes to have the rest of the outstanding DACs ordered by head-fi members shipped out this and next week. There are 5 more head-fi DACs to be shipped and he said that he stress tests and burns in each DAC for 72 hours before shipment and he ships two a day, but may have a helper to ship more than that a day.

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #234 of 311
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've spoken with Ken and he says that he hopes to have the rest of the outstanding DACs ordered by head-fi members shipped out this and next week. There are 5 more head-fi DACs to be shipped and he said that he stress tests and burns in each DAC for 72 hours before shipment and he ships two a day, but may have a helper to ship more than that a day.

but did you mention anything about the packing? i'm not very confident that that packing job would hold up very well going over seas...it seemed to barely be holding together getting to Omom

Sep 4, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #235 of 311
IMG_1624.jpg

that is truly awful packaging. i would be a bit worried if i had ordered one of these.

Sep 4, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #236 of 311
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i guess the dac is poorly packed because it's an incredibly solid chunk of metal so it needs far less packing than most other pieces of gear. that said, i'd personally prefer to have it double boxed just to be sure

elnero's D02 had chips in the finish and a broken foot due to poor packing. One of the long screws holding the battery down in my other D02 was bent and came loose during its original transit. It's very, very important that packing be done properly. If anything, I would say it needs far more packing than most other gear. Solidness (weight) becomes a liability in a box packed like that.

Sep 4, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #237 of 311
The problem with any international shipment (and this is no defense of Ken who's shown in the past that he's not a great packer to begin with) is that customs always has the opportunity to "inspect" the package. I had package from China show up that had clearly been man-handled by customs, it literally had fasteners falling out of the box, and there's no recourse that I know of. Still there's a lot of void space in that packaging which is never a good thing.

Glad to see the first of the DAC's getting to long-waiting customers and hope that the rest receive them shortly without further drama.

Sep 5, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #239 of 311
My unit is SN 005..
I can compare it´s sound to Opera´s DAC. It is not easy to pick differencies without A/B testing which I tried. I use it only with unbalanced coaxial input in crystal mode (DT880,K340). My first impressions:
- it sounds neutral and very transparent
- changes in soundstage - it is definitely wider, with touch of deep, bigger
- Opera´s DAC sounds little bit raw next to it
- it gives nice experience but it is difficult to point it out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back