ACS Custom sleeves
May 6, 2010 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Hyl

Head-Fier
I am going to try the custom sleeves, but I am not sure which of my iem's is going to get it.
Which one  of my IEM's do you think that would benefit the most out of it?
The Westone 3, UM56 , Sennheiser ie8 or the ATH CK100? I like these almost equally and i don't have any serious fitting issue's with neither of those.

May 6, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 13
Aren't the UM56 cutom sleeves
confused.gif

May 6, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 13
I have posted before about my nightmare trying to get ACS custom sleeves and after four attempts, I gave up, as they just kept sliding off the nozzle of my W3's, so I'd avoid using them for the Westone's, but plenty of people have had success with the pairing of ACS and IE8's.

The UM56's will work with the Westone 3's, but they're a lot more expensive for us in the UK, as they have to go over to Belgium to be made and import taxes come into play as well.

May 7, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #5 of 13
I meant um3x instead of um56

May 7, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #6 of 13
oops a double post bc my comp was lagging

May 7, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #7 of 13
I've got ACS custom sleeves for both the Westone UM3x and the Sennheiser IE8. I personally prefer the sleeves for the UM3x.

The sleeves on my UM3x improved their comfort, isolation and sound quality. The treble is a little bit more prominent and bass goes deeper and has more texture. The sleeves are extremely comfortable and feel much more secure in the ear than the IE8s sleeves do. The UM3x sleeves do occasionally slide off of the nozzles, but it's never been a major issue for me, and I find that if I wash them in soapy water every couple of weeks they stay on more securely.

I don't think the IE8 sleeves have really improved the sound quality of the earphones over stock tips but they have made them a bit more comfortable and it's a lot easier to get a decent seal. In my opinion they're still not as comfortable as the UM3x. Isolation is a little better than with stock tips but quite a lot of noise still gets in. The IE8 need a shallower insertion than the UM3x so the sleeves have been made so that the IE8s stick out of my ears quite a bit further than the UM3x do.

In conclusion, I don't regret buying sleeves for the IE8s but if I lost them I wouldn't bother to pay £90 to replace them. If I lost my UM3x sleeves I would be gutted and would go back to ACS to get them replaced.

May 7, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #10 of 13
Good luck with that. I'm sure you won't regret it.

Have you spoken to ACS about it yet? I'm not sure if they've got a jig for the SM3 yet so they might ask you to send your earphones to them along with the ear impressions.

May 7, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Good luck with that. I'm sure you won't regret it.

Have you spoken to ACS about it yet? I'm not sure if they've got a jig for the SM3 yet so they might ask you to send your earphones to them along with the ear impressions.

I am planning to get the custom sleeves straight from Earsonics, since EarSonics is the know-how in SM3
regular_smile .gif

By the way, how much you paid for your custom sleeves?

May 7, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #13 of 13
Really thanks for the information @TCD1975. EarSonics charges 90Euro (including CEE VAT Tax) for their custom sleeves. I am outside France so I think I can get them cheaper.

To OP, some information which might be useful:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/485632/earsonics-sm3-appreciation-discussion-review-thread-aka-the-most-affordable-high-priced-universal-iem/105#post_6614051

Users who are viewing this thread

Back