Acrylic CIEMs good seal but noises & movement
Feb 12, 2021 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Ninbura

New Head-Fier
Just got my first pair of CIEMs in, I went with Ultimate Ear's Reference Remastered because I wanted something I could use as an additional reference when mixing and mastering tracks, especially when I'm away from home / my studio monitors.

Though using them in this manner was of high priority for me, I also planned on just using them in general, which involves frequently taking voice calls. I also sit at a computer setup with a large number of displays which requires that I physically look up, down, left, and right to a high degree. What I've noticed while doing voice calls and just moving my neck as I look around is that I hear the movement of the CIEMs. My best description of the noise that this generates would be "shifting", "popping", and or even "squishing". That being said, as far as I can tell the seal is never actually broken. Bass response sounds fine, and if I snap my fingers on either side of my head isolation is still there. In comparison, if I use my finger to press up on either CIEM I can clearly tell when the seal is broken. In-fact, as far as I can tell, the only way that I can break the seal without physically moving the CIEMs with my hands is by hyper extending my jaw to an almost comical degree.

As new comer I'm not really sure what to expect, and something only bothers me insomuch as it's unpreventable. So I guess what I'm really left wondering is if this is normal, hearing all these different noises or movement of the CIEMs as I speak and move around. Or could it be that the fit of each stem isn't tight enough? Seems fairly rational that when moving around and speaking there would be some perception of movement, seeing as the CIEMs are made of a hard plastic and can't just mimic the reshaping of my ear canals. But once again, I'm not really sure exactly what it is I'm to expect when it comes to prefect fitment, so I was hoping I could get some feedback.

I feel I should also mention that they are very easy to get in and out of my ear, which seemed somewhat anti-climatic considering that everywhere I looked described the insertion process as "corkscrewing" them in. For me the process seemingly involves simply pushing them into my ears, almost straight on.

Not sure if it will be of any assistance, but I've attached an image of my CIEMs. Thanks for any feedback!

PS - I got my ear impressions done while biting down on a box just over an inch tall, per online suggestions I wasn't clenching my jaw but rather just resting with my mouth propped open by the box.

Attachments

• IMG_1752.JPEG
    IMG_1752.JPEG
    872.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1753.JPEG
    IMG_1753.JPEG
    676.8 KB · Views: 0
Feb 12, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #2 of 2
They look fine to me nice big bores. The right ear of my Westone AC2 CIEM's always comes unsealed - the bores are smaller than yours - i've just gotten used to it. I had the impressions done in my audiologists office - not sure he did it wrong or right - its been at least 6 or 7 years since i got them - don't know if i would ever do CIEM again, the variety of tips now is very broad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back