Acquiring a Chord DAC64 (Used)
Apr 2, 2008 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

spraggih

Headphoneus Supremus
I posted this is the Great Dac Search thread since that has been getting play lately. But I wanted to call this out to ensure you all see this ... and help me
wink.gif

---------------

I have a Bel Canto DAC3 coming on- bought it from Audiogon. Hopefully I will love it and see it worth its premium price over the Lavry DA-10 and Stello DA220. Maybe I will, maybe I won't.

I really had my eyes on a Chord DAC64 but have not come across any used models. New models are unaffordable plus I would imagine reselling the item to not be difficult.

Any suggestions on how to get a used one? Is it really easier for European hed-fiers to pick up a used DAC64? Also what is a good price for a used one?

Apr 2, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 25
Random and irrelevant question...do you really look like that? I don't want to be shallow or anything, but that is an awesome picture.

Anyways:
I've seen a used Chord 64 appear for sale on e-bay, but it was from UK, and thus in 220-240V, and it is a fairly rare event...

Apr 2, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 25
>> Do you really look like that?

Stas, I assume you mean the avatar right?
smily_headphones1.gif
Yes I kinda of look like that-- except I have no hair (bald), I only wear the shades when driving and I am shorter than my avatar and ...

Yes I look exactly like that.

My wife looks just like that!

Again remove hair, shades and 70's coolness and you have me!
henryjackie1970seq8.jpg

Apr 2, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 25
Re: DAC64 -- I can* buy a new DAC64 -- there is a high-fi place in Philadelphia and he has the entire line-up Chord CD, transport and DAC...

* - can in the more optimistic yet unlikely sense. Like I can be President or I can go for Olympic gold or ...

Apr 3, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih /img/forum/go_quote.gif
>> Do you really look like that?

Stas, I assume you mean the avatar right?
smily_headphones1.gif
Yes I kinda of look like that-- except I have no hair (bald), I only wear the shades when driving and I am shorter than my avatar and ...

Yes I look exactly like that.

My wife looks just like that!

Again remove hair, shades and 70's coolness and you have me!
henryjackie1970seq8.jpg

That is a cool picture, I guess I can relate after going through the late 60s and the 70s. Of course I was in a much "cooler" place! The Caribbean!!!
cool.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by myarroyo
I can relate after going through the late 60s and the 70s. Of course I was in a much "cooler" place! The Caribbean!!!

Every time I look at the picture I think two things:

1) That is a very pretty lady. She looks so happy. I wonder what makes her so happy?
smily_headphones1.gif

2) That dude looks cool and righteous. He looks like he is about justice and peace. That would be cool if it were me.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe I'll retire to the Caribbean or Hawaii or somewhere warm all year around.

Apr 3, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #8 of 25
thanks!

anyone know a good, fair price for a DAC64-- focus on the word "good".

Apr 3, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #10 of 25
thanks for the audiogon-- $3K huh? Was hoping for a beat up cosmetically for $2K or so.
wink.gif

I should reach out to the dealer in Philadelphia to listen to one. Have any of you heard the DAC64?

Apr 3, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #11 of 25
Only Head-Fi member I know that has has heard it (and owns it) is Elephas, so you may want to give him a PM. Who knows, he may even sell his
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #12 of 25
My Dad owns one. Its a great DAC!

A Sony "777" DVD player + Chord DAC64 was a better setup on CDs than a Musical Fidelity NuVista CD player. We did ABX tests too.

Apr 7, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #13 of 25
Thanks! Any other DACs, setups you have compared it to?

Apr 12, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #14 of 25
I bought my DAC 64 used for around $1900 ...on Audiogon, about three years ago. I run redbook from a Sony XA777ES to the Chord and then to Stax Lamda Sigs. The entire setup is used from A'gon and cost under $4.3K ... (I trade a lot there). My only step up would be to replace the Lamda with Omega's and perhaps a Gilmore Blue Hawaii or other high end tubes for the Stax ... with respect to the DAC, I do not think I can better the Chord without going into mega-dollar EMM, DCS, Wadia or Audio Aero.

The DAC 64 is the best I've owned so far, much better then my previous Orpheus, Bel Canto2 or a Sony SCD-1 which was not even close on Redbook. The re-clocking and proprietary technology of the DAC 64 brings decently recorded CDs to near SACD level, and poorly recorded 80's CDs, (of which I have many), are now quite enjoyable, as the Chord cleans up the treble harshness.

I also find a strong synergy between the Stax and Chord. So much so, that I can't even listen to my Grado 1000's anymore with the small Grado RA-1 amp (that my change when I get the SinglePower that was damaged in shipping fixed).

I also have an MDHT Labs Paradesia DAC that I just bought and which is surprisingly lush on good CDs but can't match the Chord (nor should it at a 10th the price) on poor CDs that need re-clocking. The Paradesia also needs a decent transport to sound good (or Jitter reduction), whereas the Chord can work with just about anything since it jitter-immune.

Ebay Europe is your best bet for a used Chord ...but the Euro/US exchange may hurt. (I suspect with the US dollar tanking, you'd probably be in the $3K range now ...equivalent to $2K 3 years ago when the US dollar was higher.)

When I get my modded SinglePower back ...I'll do some A/B testing with among one of the best SS setup (Chord + SinglePower + Grado 1000) vs. the same thing with the Stax/tube Amp and post my findings.

The only downside to the Chord is that they recommend you leave it on all the time (there's no power switch) ... this somewhat bothers me, as it is 1) not a very "green" solution ...2) it takes a while to warm up to good sound if you don't want to leave it on ...and 3) I'm not sure how long it will last being left on 24/7 (although its been fine for 3 years). - Lorne

Apr 12, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #15 of 25
...I should also add that there are two Chord DAC 64 models (Mark 1 and Mark 2) but they are the same with respect to sound, with the exception that the later version has better balanced synergy with the mega-dollar Chord transport, which I do not own but have heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back